Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate  (Read 4290 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« on: September 08, 2006, 04:40:27 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09082006

Haha, the Ray crisis has been averted. Now about Pat?

edit: Lyle's "I'm gettin' up there in years" is really what makes this strip.
Logged

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 04:43:56 am »

I love the "I can't start the machine without three men. The Japanese." Just saying "The Japanese" in a firm tone is a perfect explanation or reason for anything.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 04:51:54 am »

Heh, a class act all around. That strip made me laugh. The thought of a Japanese prostate/colonoscopy tech asking about Lyle's gonzo shoots and the resultant effect on his backside is just fuckin' classic. I love it.
Logged

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:52:55 am »

The more I re-read this strip, the more I like it. Dr. Andretti is probably one of my favorite second-tier characters just because of how dry his speech and mannerisms are, especially when contrasted with the flat-out weirdness of the rest of the strip ... the various Sanryobuki devices, for example, or his nonchalant reaction to Ray's pube-plucking.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 04:55:47 am »

My other favorite is Lyle toting around his beloved bottle even at the doctor's office. That's hardcore, Lyle.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 05:13:19 am »

man. that is intense. what a bitch.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 06:01:20 am »

The technician recognizing Lyle's ass from his gonzo videos had me laughing out loud.

Now Ray needs to retaliate with some low shenanigans of his own.

Class.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:12:54 am »

I eagerly await Ray's retaliation shenanigans. That's classic.

And I hadn't initially thought that the final panel represented the Japanese tech actually recognizing Lyle's colon from his gonzo shoots; I had assumed it was more in the sense that Lyle had screwed up his colon/prostate doing something typical of gonzo shoots, and the Japanese tech (with a naturally keen eye for porn-related injuries) picked up on that. Regardless, I think we all have to admit that that final panel is a thing of beauty.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:18:11 am »

I have to say... I think the title for this one was supposed to be...

"I think he's saying... acting?"

But a good strip across the board. I imagine Onstad, in front of a fireplace with a snifter of cognac, swirling the amber fluid and chuckling to himself, everytime we... the people on this board... start predicting where his storylines are heading and then... bam.

Bensington Butters.

This is now the term for when Onstad swerves TOUAMB on where a plot is going, I reckon, or any situation where the popular prediction for a series or events is upturned by something unpredicted but completely in character with the logic of the setting.

"Did you see where Ric Flair was gonna shake Hogan's hand and then he totally bodyslammed him?"

"Yeah, man. Total full-on Besington Butters."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:18:20 am »

Oh, I don't know. I see prostate exam technicians as being connoisseurs of the prostate, and watching ass-related videos, all of which are considered "porn" in our stolid society.

I mean, you would be surprised if sports medicine techs didn't see last night's big game, right?

Color_Me_Brad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:23:54 am »

Yes. This strip was perfect. A quick, silly ending to what had been a scary, disturbing arc. The ending is just hilarious. Poor Teodor. ;D
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 11:39:45 am »

Since it looks like it's gonna have to be me that's gonna have to point out Mr. Bear's little bubble butt, let's have it done with at once: Please notice Mr. Bear little bubble butt.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:57:26 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 11:53:22 am »

I imagine Onstad, in front of a fireplace with a snifter of cognac, swirling the amber fluid and chuckling to himself, everytime we... the people on this board... start predicting where his storylines are heading and then... bam.

Indeed.  I kept wanting to tell you all to shush yesterday, but I knew it never works.

I think V is right on this one, the tech is not recognizing Lyle's ass in particular, but the usual effects of... "acting".  I mean, can Lyle's porn really be sold as far away as Japan?  I think of it as more the kind of thing that changes hands in dark alleys.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 01:05:30 pm »

They don't even get privacy dividers? That's just cold.
Logged

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Sep 2006 - It's never too early to consider one's prostate
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 02:25:15 pm »

I guess in the land of Japan-Man they get colon and/or prostate exams lying on their backs.  They do a lot of things funny over there


2nd panel is truly a thing of wonder

By the way.  Ray is clearly NOT wearing his thong in the early panels with the smock.  Then he rips the smock off.

Make your own conclusions
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up