Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: That Ain't Meat!  (Read 9978 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
That Ain't Meat!
« on: September 17, 2003, 06:03:56 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I still like their chicken nuggets even though I'm certain they contain no actual chicken.  

One day I will make a fortune on a hand-held device that detects whether or not the McNugget you are holding contains actual white meat, or that greasy gray spongy puke-mess.  Only when I have a working prototype will I trust McDonald's again.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 06:43:47 pm »

My boyfriend brought home little mini chicken drums that's ingredients read:  "mechanically separated chicken." Strange.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
mmmmmm....mechanically seperated meat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 07:36:17 pm »

Oh yeah.  That means the meat is removed from the bones and the other largely inedible parts by machine, rather than by human hands.  Which usually means that you get more bone and other nasty bits in it.

Check out this article, which contains the immortal quote, "What we're talking about here is something that may not be meat."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 07:57:10 pm »

"Until two years ago, the product was not called meat." Nice.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 08:01:07 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
My boyfriend brought home little mini chicken drums that's ingredients read: "mechanically separated chicken." Strange.


That reminds me of the first time I saw the box for Subway's chicken: caramel color and grill marks added.

Creepy.

Quote from: "ferocious j"
One day I will make a fortune on a hand-held device that detects whether or not the McNugget you are holding contains actual white meat, or that greasy gray spongy puke-mess. Only when I have a working prototype will I trust McDonald's again.


You should totally market this with Fecal Vision
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 08:20:44 pm »

you could offer semen and urine vision too.  Or maybe I don't want to know that information.

there are garlic giraffe steaks from Blue Water, and when you microwave them grill lines magically appear. If you watch thru the microwave window you see them gradually appearing.  It's just not right
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 10:21:09 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
there are garlic giraffe steaks from Blue Water, and when you microwave them grill lines magically appear. If you watch thru the microwave window you see them gradually appearing.  It's just not right

How the bloody damn hell do they do that?  Now I'm going to have to buy some just to see that happen.  CRAP
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 10:23:23 pm »

I just, and I think I said this before somewhere here, refuse to eat anything that's not natural (if I can help it).
I'm not anal about organic food and shit, but I avoid reformed meat (same as mechanically seperated usually, and then put back together to look like a seducing slice of ham... or not!) and fast food like the plague.
It just tastes bad, and makes me lose my appetite.
I spent nearly a year basically vegetarian because of this, as a student. I was unable to afford decent meat for a while, so I ate some bacon, and the odd cut of meat when I could treat myself, but most of it I didn't eat meat.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 11:02:49 pm »

I'm a vegetarian now, but I used to have a soft spot for mechanically separated "ribs" sold in my middle school cafeteria.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

V-Adore

  • Guest
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 12:02:25 am »

I, too, will admit to a fondness for mechanically separated "ribs" despite knowing of their skeeviness. Actually, I enjoy most mechanically-processed "meat" things way, way too much. I'd be a vegetarian, really, except for inertia and horrible, horrible taste.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 12:42:30 am »

I'm vegan.   Things I eat usually don't come mechanically separated.  On the other hand, they don't do magical things in the microwave.

Rethinking life choices......
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 01:03:21 am »

I'm omniverous, but I usually try to buy, cook and eat quality foods. We avoid prepackaged food as much as possible and the only reason we bought a microwave was to heat up formula for the baby in the middle of the night. In Hawaii there is no Whole Foods. Otherwise I would shop there most of the time.

I am intrigued by the microwave-induced grill marks, though. And, I must confess, in line with the others, (not to mention Homer Simpson) I do usually buy one whenever the McRib comes back around. I <know> it's 100% artificial food. But it's full of chemical goodness.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2003, 01:48:34 am »

I only eat meat.

The rawer, the bloodier, the better.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2003, 06:14:27 am »

And what's the deal with the McRib? Real bones in the McNuggets, fake bone-shaped meat protrusions in the McRib.

I swear.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
That Ain't Meat!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2003, 02:16:02 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I only eat meat.

The rawer, the bloodier, the better.


Aaaah yes, a good bleading steak!
Can't beat it.
Very Denis Leary.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up