Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)  (Read 9060 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

guns and cigarettes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:34:48 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09112006

I really like the idea of Teodor blowing his brains out onto a monument of himself and then laughing about it, and then probably going to listen to Arcade Fire.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:38:19 am by guns and cigarettes »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:44:13 am »

I guess Onstad ran out of ways to torment Philippe so he's been picking on his second favorite whipping boy Teodor.

Funny strange.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 07:09:59 am »

  I love this! Teodor's statue has a vaguely Cabaret Emcee feeling about it though.
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

elfbabe

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 07:13:41 am »

According to Babelgiraffe, Teodor is saying "Dogs do not like fruit... dogs may [bumsen] and sleep!"
Paralink gives the last part as "Dogs may thump and sleep!" while FreeTranslation.com says "Dogs like to bang and sleep!"
Suspicious, I asked Urban Dictionary and odge.info what "bumsen" means. And yes, it's a slang term for sex.




I once had a dog who liked fruit... she was spayed, though, so that might explain it.



Edit: I hate to ask, but it looks like someone either doesn't like me or likes me enough to have somehow found out I don't drink Dr. Pepper. Nothing bad happens due to lack of tiny cans, does it?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:22:49 am by elfbabe »
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:50:30 am »

No, but I remeber the thread that is the reason why this is happening.  I believe you said something bad about Pat's cock or something.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

isaacs_law

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 09:28:16 am »

The visual reference for Teodor's statue is this album cover by the 70's avant-garde singer Klaus Nomi:

http://www.araglin.nl/archives/archive_2005-m03.php

It is not impressive that I know this. I am only aware of Nomi because I'm the type of Morrissey fan who owns his Under the Influence compilation CD, which is to say, the type of Morrissey fan who is going to hell.

Logged

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 11:15:50 am »



dict.leo.org is the place to get German words translated. Bumsen comes out as about ten different earthy synonyms for copulation.

I guess this strip isn't aimed at the German audience. Otherwise... 'Dogs don't like fruit' should be 'Hunde mögen KEIN Frucht' ...

and Löwenbräu is a pallid mass-product that no self-respecting Thuringian would drink.

Try Köstritzer Schwarzbier: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/648/1774


I live in Germany and drink so much that I lie
Logged

Undertoad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 34
  • Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe ande Ale Taverne Inne Keepere
    • View Profile
    • the Cellar
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 11:55:02 am »

I was all set to not like this strip until issacs_law pointed out the Klaus Nomi reference.  Old friend of mine was a Bowie completist and bought the Nomi albums because at one point Bowie worked with him. 

It's been 24 years since I heard it, but from what I remember... kind of industrial 80s pop songs with this totally bizarre-looking flamboyant German guy launching into an all-out totally operatic soprano falsetto at full lung, sung in English with a gruff German accent.  Most people ran screaming for the volume knob.

Despite your protest, that was a remarkable catch issacs!


Logged
-=My usual hangout: The Cellar
-=My daily image blog: Image of the Day

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 01:49:45 pm »

As I have said before (it is a recurring theme), I am always pleased by the unexpected reappearance of one of these recurring themes.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 02:33:13 pm »

An excellent first post from Issacs_law.  It contains EDUCATION and repentance for wrong-doings.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 02:47:21 pm »

The little "OH, JA!" in the last panel was the best part.

I noticed that in the third panel, Téodor is making the same face as he does in this strip.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 03:35:28 pm »

For maximum points, Teodor needs to do that "Hor hor hor hor hor!" laugh. I'd make a voice clip but that would be overstating the point.

This strip made me laugh, not particularly on it's own merit but by bringing back the image of Deutsch Ray's reflection saying "Nein". Damn, it's hilarious. Here.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 03:40:57 pm »

Edit: I hate to ask, but it looks like someone either doesn't like me or likes me enough to have somehow found out I don't drink Dr. Pepper. Nothing bad happens due to lack of tiny cans, does it?

If your cans stay negative for more than 90 days your account is deleted and you owe the board the amount of cans of Dr Pepper that you're in the red for.

Also, I threw you some cans due to your scholarship on today's strip.

Keep it up and you'll have spendin' cans in no time.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 03:42:11 pm »

It is not impressive that I know this. I am only aware of Nomi because I'm the type of Morrissey fan who owns his Under the Influence compilation CD, which is to say, the type of Morrissey fan who is going to hell.

At least there's a place there for you and your friends.

I'm a pretty big Morrissey fan, but I didn't get the visual reference.  Good on you.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 04:01:25 pm »

(Nomi) from what I remember... kind of industrial 80s pop songs with this totally bizarre-looking flamboyant German guy launching into an all-out totally operatic soprano falsetto at full lung, sung in English with a gruff German accent.  Most people ran screaming for the volume knob.

So what you are saying basically is Nomi makes you appreciate the good work that Yoko Ono did in the 60's.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up