Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)  (Read 9073 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

isaacs_law

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 07:13:26 am »

At least there's a place there for you and your friends.

Most true!

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I've been stalking this board for years now without saying anything, so it's good to finally enter the castle of TOUAMB.
Logged

Caustic Armadillo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 11:44:38 am »

Couldn't "Ich habe Gesellschaft" also mean "i have company"? My high school German is getting a bit rusty :)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 08:02:29 pm »


  Firstly, some of them are just plain awfull, but people just accept that "that's what a countertenor sounds like". There is no reason to sound like a cat being strangled, no matter what type of voice you sing in. Good countertenors proove this.
  Secondly, and more importantly, they've more or less hoaxed the whole opera audience into thinking they're good replacements for castrati.

Well, some sopranos make me want to stick rusty nails in my eyes if it would make them stop singing.  But you can't go blaming them all for that.

Anyway, my countertenors sing music from before opera was invented.  So we do not have to have a fight about this.

Back on topic:  People, don't you think it's supposed to be pidgin German that isn't quite grammatical and doesn't entirely make sense?  Beating your head against what it really means spoils the joke.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2006, 12:43:30 am »

so, I always wonder what guy said "hey, do you know what God wants? he wants us to cut off this kid's balls. He wants to own this kid's manhood."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2006, 01:29:57 am »

so, I always wonder what guy said "hey, do you know what God wants? he wants us to cut off this kid's balls. He wants to own this kid's manhood."

  Apparently the most common excuse given by the parents was that their son was "attacked by a boar". Considering that at the height of the castrati's popularity 4,000 - 5,000 boys were put to the knife each year, I'm suprised kids didn't develop an instense fear of pigs
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2006, 01:38:38 am »

  P.S.  I should add that the excuse given by The Church was that women shouldn't be allowed to sing in the church, thus, if there just happen to be some male sopranos around, they'd have to have them sing in the choir. A case of the left hand not acknowledging what the right hand is doing...
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 06:41:15 am »

  P.S.  I should add that the excuse given by The Church was that women shouldn't be allowed to sing in the church, thus, if there just happen to be some male sopranos around, they'd have to have them sing in the choir. A case of the left hand not acknowledging what the right hand is doing...

For a second I thought you were talking about these guys. I think I only realised what you were talking about at the word 'choir'. Anyway, you seem to know a lot about this castrati thing. A lot.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Sep 2006 - Ich habe gesellschaft (I have society)
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 07:03:20 am »

For a second I thought you were talking about these guys.

   Hah! I spewed my cola at that ( and that's no hyperbole: I've just finished wiping it off the monitor ).
  Actually I'm never quite sure how one seperates the church ( as in catholicism ), from the church ( building down the road ) in terms of capitalisation. Perhaps I should just say the Catholic Church.

Anyway, you seem to know a lot about this castrati thing. A lot.

  Have you thought of a career in opera, young man?
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up