Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Dying!  (Read 35140 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2006, 02:00:20 am »

man, maybe get a stationary bike on craigslistor something to use over the winter. It is basically a great way to move your body even if you just pedal really slow at first while you enjoy something on TV. Set it up right and I bet you could use the internet, but a stationary unicycle-computer chair might work better for that.

shit I need to patent that idea.
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2006, 02:08:08 am »

man, maybe get a stationary bike on craigslistor something to use over the winter. It is basically a great way to move your body even if you just pedal really slow at first while you enjoy something on TV. Set it up right and I bet you could use the internet, but a stationary unicycle-computer chair might work better for that.

shit I need to patent that idea.

Just get rollers for your bike.  Then you can set the tension, ride all winter and watch the TV at the same time.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2007, 04:38:39 am »

As to Pedro's outrageous good fortune, let's just say he has some...valuable...talents.  ;) 

Also, you forgot "bisexual." 


This is what happens when a person leaves - dammit!

Also, I am making every effort to string together 100 days without more than one consecutive day of not working out. So far I am at 23 days in a row - and feeling good! Also, I am buying diet mixers, which helps with the general slimming effort.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2007, 08:44:47 pm »

wow, people. the past half-hour or so has taught me why people hate working out. jesus! it sucks!

Basically, rather than feeling all "wow, I did such a good thing for my body, now this "mini-beer-belly" style thing I have going on will go away, plus I will gain muscle so as to be less scrawny!"
its more like "wow, this is hard. and this weight-lift-machine thing my parents bought, despite seeming to work really well for them, is really confusing."
Basically the feelings I was getting in various joints and tendons were not ones that I have felt before, which I feel I should not feel again. I am going to have to overcome my foolish pride and ask my mom to show me how to do this stuff. Also, the weights are not labeled with numbers which have any relation to the weight they contain. Also, the little illustrations explaining how to use it was essentially worthless.

I will also have to, bizarrely, tell her that she is not allowed to encourage me in any way. For some reason, approval from my parents when I am doing something good for myself (working out, trying to eat more healthily, etc) makes me want to stop doing this thing. This has led to a lot of problems. It's weird, because normally approval from my parents has an embarrassingly large effect on me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2007, 10:44:09 pm »

I too felt annoyance at the nonsense numbering of the weight stacks.  The truth is that even if they put some mass figure on them (1 plate = 40lbs, 2 plates = 80lbs) or whatnot, it still wouldn't measure the same thing as if your were lifting a free weight of the same size.  Sometimes its harder, sometimes its easier.  You just have to get a feel for it yourself and not worry about what happens when someone asks "How much you bench?".  Where it gets really annoying is, say you're at a Motel 6 or whatever and they've got a fitness room with a weight machine.  Unless you're insanely lucky, they won't have your exact machine in there, and the correspondence of your machine's 5 plates to their machine's 5 plates will not be 1:1.  Lots of pin shuffling and trial runs ensue.

Its still better than lying on your motel bed, ruminating about the size of your belly.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2007, 10:55:51 pm »

the worst thing is, I'm basically a really skinny guy. The issue is that I've gained like 10 lbs, and (almost?) all of it is fat, and all of it is on my stomach.

But yeah, I am going to make sure to learn how to do the machine thing properly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2007, 02:58:47 am »

With nearly all weight machines, it's important to figure out (for each exercise) when you are working the muscle, vs when you are releasing it.  A steady well paced movement through the flex (rather than a quick jerk) is way more effective and less likely to cause injury.  Working with slightly lighter weight, and putting the real work into the flex (doing just as many reps as you can handle with full extension, it is a way more valuable workout (in my books) than violently jerking around heavier weights.  I see so many people flopping around on machines at the Y, and I'm always confused... why waste your time doing things wrong (never mind potentially injuring yourself)?  And really, if you don't want to ask your mom, couldn't you look up the machine you have on... the internet?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2007, 03:04:11 am »

no, I'll just ask her.

The way I was taught in gym class was to do a weight at which you can do 10 reps-- then move up to the next weight after a few days. Actually what he said was go up one pound each day, but this machine is not that precise.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2007, 03:32:23 am »

I have not smoked since Friday morning.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2007, 03:54:40 am »

I ate fried chicken yesterday.  The kind that's hardened thick crispy coating on the outside and juicy on the inside.  That shit is vile.  It tastes good in my mouth, but it is not meant to be digested.  My belly was so angry at me.  It warned me for hours that it was going to errupt, so I thought a CUNT and yoghurt smoothie would calm things down.  Wrong!  Wrong. 

With the whole squatter situation I've been eating horrible things as a reaction to stress.  I've begun to get back on track though.  The fridge is full of healthy delights.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2007, 11:25:31 am »

On Monday night I ate cheese almost non-stop for forty-five minutes.

I could've coped with that if I hadn't also popped a block of butter into my mouth in a dreadful case of mistaken identity.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2007, 02:54:32 pm »

I have not smoked since Friday morning.

Rock on dude!

I haven't had a drink since Sunday.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2007, 02:55:08 pm »

With nearly all weight machines, it's important to figure out (for each exercise) when you are working the muscle, vs when you are releasing it.  A steady well paced movement through the flex (rather than a quick jerk) is way more effective and less likely to cause injury.  Working with slightly lighter weight, and putting the real work into the flex (doing just as many reps as you can handle with full extension, it is a way more valuable workout (in my books) than violently jerking around heavier weights.  I see so many people flopping around on machines at the Y, and I'm always confused... why waste your time doing things wrong (never mind potentially injuring yourself)?  And really, if you don't want to ask your mom, couldn't you look up the machine you have on... the internet?

Wow Smells, is there anything you don't know?  You rock.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2007, 08:08:26 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2007, 08:20:20 pm »

Realize that building muscle is basically tearing apart your old muscle and causing it to grow back (heal) stronger and better.

OMG, this is possibly the least encouraging thing anyone has said about exercise ever.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up