I am 5'7" which is just tall enough to avoid "dwarf" jokes but just short enough to avoid "I'm so gawky" issues. So I'm a big fan of my height but had other "awkward phase" issues. (glasses, braces, acne, flat chest, complete social ineptness, etc.)
However, my thing is that I have always liked short guys. As in, shorter than me when I'm not wearing shoes kinds of guys. Antonio Banderas, I hear, is only 5'4". *swoon*
At our wedding, I wore 4" heels so that I would be slightly above eye level with Pedro, who is 5'10" but claims to be 5'11. Generally I like to make myself even taller, but I do have to admit that platforms that increase my height to 6" or more make me feel like a little bit of a drag queen.
Re: maternal habits and birthweight, my parents are teetotalers and neither has ever smoked. Mom never drank coffee, either. My brother was born 6 weeks premature and weighed barely over six pounds. My grandmother also neither smoked nor drank. Her fourth child was three months premature and weighed four pounds. My point here is, no matter how careful you are, bad things can still happen. Not that you should just do whatever when you're pregnant, but IMHO the best thing to do is make informed decisions about calculated risks and realize that there are no guarantees in life.
I did read on the babycenter boards, however, that more than one expectant mother has been advised by "experienced" moms to smoke throughout pregnancy in order to "keep her figure." If you're having trouble quitting, that's one thing -- but being told to take up smoking for vanity reasons at the expense of your child's health is just...wrong.