Do any of you find that your friends just don't get Achewood?
They just don't find it funny. 
Is there a way of doing it, or are we just too twisted/odd for everyone else? 
Believe me, I try this too, but the humour is really genuinely one of those "Love or Hate" dealies. For example, I like the style of art very much, but most people I know who've seen it complain that the characters look too much like dogs.
As if this wasn't enough to deter people, the strip is a lot more based on characters and story than accessible one-shot-funny comics, so effort is required to enjoy it at it's best. If you don't like the first 10 strips you read, I doubt it's something you'd want to stick with.
On the other hand, quite a few of my chums love some of Achewood's golden moments which require no previous understanding of the characters. But those are few and far between, and really aren't what Achewood is all about.
Plus, to get it all you've really got to keep tabs on the blogs, which most people wouldn't bother with until they've read a fair amount of strips.
In short: Yes, we're all twisted.