Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in wet toilet tissue  (Read 4668 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in wet toilet tissue
« on: September 18, 2006, 07:56:32 am »

It's good to see Mr. Bear again.
That's two whole strips without Phillipe suffering at all, surely Q cannot hold out for long.

This one was a lot better for me until I read the first palindrome backwards and got 'Tortilla para Taco.' does that even mean anything in spanish, seems like it should mean tortillas are the same as tacos but Babelgiraffe is giving me nothing? I'm not sure it even means anything outside of taco bell.
Yeah you heard me: Mr. Onstad's bilingual palindrome aren't good enough for me! He should work harder.

Eh who am I kidding? That fourth panel saves everything.

EDIT: I deliberately chose the title that least reflected the content of this strip.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:07:32 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:58:15 am »

I think it means "tortilla for a taco". Also, I get a real kick out of "it's not an ability, it's just something I can do"
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

yotayquiero

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 10:44:33 am »

As I sit in my classroom waiting for my students to arrive (I'm a high-school Spanish teacher), I can tell you that, yes indeed, it means "tortilla for [a] taco" and does make sense.  So there.

Education.
Logged

Color_Me_Brad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:25:03 am »

Oh man that fourth panel. I so know what is happening there. Haha
Logged

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 01:10:01 pm »

This one was a lot better for me until I read the first palindrome backwards and got 'Tortilla para Taco.' does that even mean anything in spanish

Well "So, cat...a rap: all it rot?" doesn't mean anything either.
Logged

xzqx

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:31:19 pm »

I believe Teodor said "Wet toilet tissue", not "moist".  Ha ha ha, look at me, I am the corrector! Denied! Woo hoo! BOO-ya!


Now that I've gotten that out of the way... what's  the alt text: "gulp a plug, bonk a knob, passport". Is that some kind of Onstand-style humor where he tries to get us to figure out what language the reversed text is only to discover it's ... dumb? Or is there some alternate meaning to the word "tropssap"? Or is it just silly?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 02:43:52 pm »

this was a pretty good strip. but I don't know if I got enough sleep to laugh at it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 03:08:34 pm »

I got a solid 8 hours of sleep and I gave it a good, healthy chuckle.

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 03:32:56 pm »

GOD WILL SHAME YOU ON HARVEST DAY, PUNY ORGANISM, FOR USING A POOR TITLE FOR YOUR PURPOSELESS THREAD
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 05:26:12 pm »

So, Turkish speakers: how do you actually say "God will shame him on harvest day?" I want to use this phrase all the time.

Great strip, incidentally. This is a high-quality Philippe one-off, and I personally think Philippe is kind of funnier when the joke is something other than "something terrible happens to Philippe." (Watch -- Q will come back to the board just to steal cans from me for saying such a thing.)
Logged

Caustic Armadillo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 05:32:17 pm »

That's two days of wonderful Philippe-Mr. Bear action already.
The alt-text confounds me though; the first two phrases are palindromes, but "passport"?
Logged

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 07:29:36 pm »

  This is a high-quality Philippe one-off, and I personally think Philippe is kind of funnier when the joke is something other than "something terrible happens to Philippe."

  Though this is a good strip, I think my favorite Phillipe strip still has to be the Mickey penis Pancake strip. I'm evil, so what...
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 08:29:20 pm »

  Though this is a good strip, I think my favorite Phillipe strip still has to be the Mickey penis Pancake strip. I'm evil, so what...
That's a good one but for pure Phillipe horror there's nothing like a SKELETON!
Logged

cgeiger

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in moist toilet tissue
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 10:27:47 pm »

The alt-text confounds me though; the first two phrases are palindromes, but "passport"?
A quick Googling informs me that "tropssap" is Iranian.  I can't find any Iranian-English translators with Roman characters, so I don't know what it means, but... yes.  Iranian.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Sep 2006 - Wrapping his lower extremities in wet toilet tissue
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 11:14:01 pm »

The title is changed, I can now retreat back to my hole.
Thanks for the skeletons Pimp, I had entirely forgotten that strip.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up