Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I just got my first ipod..  (Read 18816 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

afterMonday

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
I just got my first ipod..
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:58:16 pm »

But I want to put some new music on it aswell as the stuff I already knew about....


Any suggestions?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:39:19 pm »

I just got a new second generation iPod nano (8Gb in incredibly sexy black) today too and am having fun adding an extra 4Gb of music to it.

What kind of music do you like?

We already have a number of music recommendation threads going...

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:05:34 pm »

   I reccomend Satie's Vexations.
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:26:53 pm »

Well, of course, you'll need the bare essentials, those being Brand X - Moroccan Roll, Horace Silver - The Jody Grind, and Coltrane's A Love Supreme.
Logged
ACHIEVE

afterMonday

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:42:36 pm »

I usually tend to lean more towards a lot of indie stuff and folk.


I did look at those threads but I'll go back and look them over again to see if I missed anything.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 11:52:59 pm »

Rautakoura - Finnish bluegrass.
Crooked Still - Bluegrass alt. folk band from Boston. With a voice that makes my knees weak.
Bellowhead - English folk, though very contemporary (I can't stand English folk, these guys are very much a first for me).
Jon Boden - The above guys solo project, very Tom Waits... Never a bad thing.
Luminescent Orchestrii - Romanian Gypsy Punk (very folk).

I don't really know Indie... But the above I reckon are well worth a look.


Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:09:50 am »

I don't know where you're starting from so some of thse might be horribly obvious.

Mary Prankster - I recommend her to anybody at any time.
The Soviettes - fun punk
Mike Doughty - 27 Jennifers might possibly be one of the best songs ever
Spoon - Gimme fiction was one of '05's best
Kelly Bell Band - blues rock
The Weakerthans - full of Canadian goodness + a song written to the singer from his cat
Architecture in Helsinki - Wombat believes this band doesn't exist and we made them up
Adam Brodsky - anti-folk
The Boy Least Likely To - full of British goodness + a song about Panda Colo. Warm Panda Cola
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 12:35:05 am »

I'll not assume anything and just suggest some bands and you can tell me if I'm close.  If you like any of these I know other bands you've never heard of that you'll probably like:

Belle & Sebastian
Blur
Elastica
Oasis (fuck you, they're good)
Pulp
Travis
Radiohead
Spoon
My Bloody Valentine
Fugazi (most indie band ever)

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 12:35:25 am »

Oh, and what ipod did you get?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 12:44:38 am »

I recommend as much Merle Travis as you can get your hands on.

Also, Burnt Weeny Sandwich.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 01:58:15 am »

Six Organs of Admittance - The Sun Awakens.  Indie and folk, two great tastes that...well, you'll probably like it anyway.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 01:59:45 am »

Mr. *****o

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

afterMonday

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:03:11 am »

I got the 30gb.


I'll not assume anything and just suggest some bands and you can tell me if I'm close.  If you like any of these I know other bands you've never heard of that you'll probably like:

Belle & Sebastian
Blur
Elastica
Oasis (fuck you, they're good)
Pulp
Travis
Radiohead
Spoon
My Bloody Valentine
Fugazi (most indie band ever)



Belle & Sebastian, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine and Fugazi


Also, thank you to everyone who is suggesting artists.  I love getting new music.  =)
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 02:08:12 am »

I'm suddenly all turned onto baby gramps but suspect he's an aquired taste. Possibly aquired after concussion and heavy medication.

I also have a constant love on for barenaked ladies, but perhaps that is too mainstream for your tastes?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 02:20:37 am »

built to spill-- any of it. keep it like a secret and perfect from now on are my favs.
woody guthrie-- if you're into folk, you have probably already heard him, of course. but, you know, he's awesome. and I'm just listening to him.
Buck Owens is f-ing awesome.
mission of burma-- Vs.
um... R.E.M.--Murmur
pixies-- doolittle or surfer rosa


I suggest the following to everyone: The Talk, Elevator Action, The Sammies. all from Charlotte, NC, all awesome.
If you hear The Sammies on a college radio station, there's a pretty good chance I cut out the front sleeve of the promo CD. or put the label on the CD itself.

oh, also, this fellow named "RJD2" is coming to play here on wednesday. and I know that I should like him. right? guys?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up