Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I just got my first ipod..  (Read 18775 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 04:22:21 am »

Early R.E.M. is a definite winner -- Fables of the Reconstruction and Life's Rich Pageant come to mind. Sufjan Stevens is also a must-have, although you're probably well aware of him.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 05:26:45 am »

Lush "Spooky" (or anything, really)
The Sea and Cake
Mazzy Star "So Tonight That I Might See" or "Among My Swan"
The Innocence Mission "Glow"
Morphine "Cure for Pain"
Ani DiFranco (anything)
The Church "Stargiraffe"
The Magnetic Fields "69 Love Songs"
The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin"
Jeff Buckley "Grace"
The Jayhawks "Tomorrow the Green Grass" (alt-country, yes, but heavier on the "alt")
The Lemonheads "Come On Feel" (fuck you, it's brilliant)
Liz Phair "Exile in Guyville" (and then nothing else after that)
PJ Harvey "Dry" or "Rid of Me"
Snow Patrol "Final Straw"
Whale "We Care" and "All Disco Dance Must End in Broken Bones"
James "Laid" (ignore the title track and just play "Sometimes" a few dozen times in a row)
Violent Femmes "Why Do Birds Sing?"
Carla Bruni "Quelqu'un M'a Dit" (yes, it's in French - and it's fuck*ng great)
Stereo Total (the French Smiths)
Colin Hay "Man At Work"

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 06:16:57 am »

did you...
Ani Difranco?

wow. she is one of those people that... the first time I heard one of her songs, I established an entire set of associations and assumptions. until this moment, every single fuck*ng one of them has been true.

it is a sign of my respect for you that half of me is thinking "what have I missed about Ani?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 06:36:49 am »

The Pogues, if you're into folkier stuff. They are the single best goddamn band on the goddamn planet.

If I recommend anything else, it's just going to detract from the Pogues. But seriously, get yourself a copy of Rum, Sodomy & the Lash and you won't regret it.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 07:09:10 am »

if the titleRum, Sodomy, and the Lash doesn't bring Q back, nothing will.

also: I realize that I used the Oxford (Oxonian?) comma where they did not. but... the Oxford comma is important to me.

I quizzed my girlfriend on whether she used it or not. I am not proud of this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 07:44:46 am »

I can't be having with those Oxford commas. Wasteful is what it is. Why mince around with such a thing when there's a perfectly good 'and' there already? You are a young man full of learning an Sin master Inevitable and no good shall come of it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 11:01:53 am »

Yea, I rate RJD2. Haven't listened to him in a long while. Also worth checking out is the only nerdcore I like, Jesse Dangerously.

But I'm here to tell y'all that if you don't like The Cat Empire there is clearly something wrong with you!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 01:19:30 pm »

Luscious Jackson - Fever In Fever Out. Or at minimum aquire the song Naked Eye if you're too lazy to get the whole album.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 02:19:09 pm »

All the kewl kids are listening to podcasts these days.  I recommend KEXP's Music That Matters.

http://www.kexp.org/podcasting/podcasting.asp
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 03:45:37 pm »

Or you could go to this list of lists and start poking around.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 09:06:27 am »

After years of absolutely hating the ipod, I think I kind of like the new 8gb nano.  I mean flash and about as thick as three credit cards, what's not to love?  I still think Creative just works better, has a nicer sound, has a much nicer userface on the player, and is easier to use.  However, that nano is looking really tempting.  Hopefully Zune will be awesome and they can come out with something like it soon.  Oh well, enjoy your ipods.

Plus, just so you know, some of the main reasons I hate the ipod have nothing to do with it.  I think Jobs is a hypocritical douche and I think the fact that Apple prints "Designed in California, Made in (Insert favorite 3rd world Asian country here)" on all of there products is completely ridiculous.  I still think the Creative line is all around better though, although I am willing to admit I may see negatives in the ipod I may not look for in other product.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 09:10:51 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 09:19:34 am »

Hopefully Zune will be awesome and they can come out with something like it soon.


Can I laugh uncontrollably?
Microsoft have destroyed the Zune already. Not only does Zune mean something like 'bullshit' in Arabic, I forget what in particular, but it is DRM'd to hell and back. Not only would you apparently have to repurchase any music you have already bought from MS (that's right, music which is now yours), but to save on some problems they were having, they will now just DRM everything you put on the player. Meaning, if you put a Creative Commons copywritten file onto your player, you will be breaking the law. Not MS, but you!
Xbox 360... fine. Vista... bring it on. Zune... appears to just make them fucktards.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 01:17:14 pm »

Not only would you apparently have to repurchase any music you have already bought from MS (that's right, music which is now yours)

That really is insane. They bring out Play4Sure (or some equally dumbass name) for all the other companies then suddenly put out their own player that doesn't support it. Why could MS possibly want to do this since this will only splinter the non-iPod market even further? Although since I don't buy DRM'd music I don't really care what store affiliation my player has.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »

I still think Creative just works better
I have a Zen Micro, my wife has a 3rd gen ipod, and my stepdaughter has an ipod mini. Let me tell you, I disagree with your assessment. For a long time I had a problem where my micro would freeze on startup 50% of the time. Then the media organizer wouldn't recognize it when it was attached to my computer. Eventually I installed the latest PlaysForSure firmware, suspecting all along the involving Windows Media Player would muck things up. Yep. My computer now recognizes the thing just fine, but if I drag and drop files onto it, they are often ordered alphabetically on the player despite the fact that the id3 tags correctly identify the tracklisting. Instead, I have to make a playlist in Windows Media Player, then set it up to synch, and even then it orders them correctly no more than 80% of the time. The ipods, while not perfect, seem a lot more intuitive, useable, and reliable.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 07:12:06 pm »

Hey, I'm using a red handled screwdriver! 

Hey, I'm using a blue handled screwdriver!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up