Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I just got my first ipod..  (Read 18759 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 07:17:59 pm »

Although since I don't buy DRM'd music I don't really care what store affiliation my player has.

The problem there being, with the Zune, as I mentioned, that if you try to put any files on it, it will DRM them itself. At which point you can be breaking the law so many times, and well... I don't exactly want to be made to break the law by anyone. I have no real problem breaking it myself, but to be made to just seems really fucked up.
I assume from the way they're talking that you can't even bypass this and just drop files on it. I mean, with the iPod you can install rockbox and use it like any iRiver or whatever, just dropping on what files you want and playing them (though in even more formats, which seems a plus to me), but with say, the new Sony Walkman mp3 players, you have to convert everything to ATRAC to play them. You can put what you like on them as an external storage device, but to be able to play it you have to spend twenty minutes re-encoding everything to a useless audio format. As I say, I assume from the sounds of it, this is the kind of thing the Zune will be demanding you do.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 09:05:58 pm »

Hey, I'm using a red handled screwdriver! 

Hey, I'm using a blue handled screwdriver!
Except in this case I'm arguing against the one I use. It's more like "Hey, I'm using the right sized screwdriver." vs. "Hey, this screwdriver kind of works, but it also kind of strips the screw and both of these screwdrivers are pretty expensive."
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 10:04:48 pm »

The problem there being, with the Zune, as I mentioned, that if you try to put any files on it, it will DRM them itself. At which point you can be breaking the law so many times, and well... I don't exactly want to be made to break the law by anyone. I have no real problem breaking it myself, but to be made to just seems really fucked up.

Actually this turned out to be a rumor, the zune doesn't do this.  Still not replacing the white plastic God in my heart though.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 10:59:58 pm »

Actually this turned out to be a rumor, the zune doesn't do this.  Still not replacing the white plastic God in my heart though.

OK, seems to be the case. But, the whole three day-three play does seem rather the Microsoft solution. iRiver have never interfered with the way I use my mp3 player, and for that I'm so very grateful (that includes dual booting firmware, as well as playing ogg, mp4, mp3, atrac, flac and the likes).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 11:02:40 pm »

http://rockbox.org

Looks promising for alternate firmware, although I'm not sure I'm willing to risk my iPod to run it.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 11:43:16 pm »

http://rockbox.org

Looks promising for alternate firmware, although I'm not sure I'm willing to risk my iPod to run it.

It's what I tend to run on my iRiver now. It's pretty sweet. Does offer a wider range of supported codecs, better UI (including choices of theme and various settings), as well as some other handy options. It also doesn't brick iRivers which is quite nice, though I do believe it can be possible to do so on iPods.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 03:23:43 am »

Sorry, slink, I am unaware of the transitive verb, "to brick."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2006, 04:41:15 am »

To update or alter the firmware on any given electronic device (ipod, psp etc.) and effectively make it as useful as a brick.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bn1

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2006, 05:57:32 am »

My favourite indie-ish album of the moment would be "Yellow House" from Grizzly Bear... nice stuff.
http://www.warprecords.com/?mart=WARP147 
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 08:51:45 pm »

I still burn CDs and play them in the car and on a stereo.

They work until I scratch them up bad!
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2006, 09:06:42 pm »

I still have a cassette tape player in my car!

Although I admit that this was sort of a mistake.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2006, 09:53:21 pm »

my car has a cassette tape player. I rarely use it, though.

I mostly listened to music on burned CDs until very recently. ie, the point when I stopped having a car. Now most of my listening happens on my computer.

I am re-reading Our Band Could Be Your Life for the billionth time. So it is mostly Dinosaur Jr. and Mudhoney and the like.
Somehow, when I had to reinstall windows, random tracks disappeared from my computer. I had all of my music on a separate hard drive, so this does not make sense. But, for instance, half of 13 songs is missing. Luckily, I own the CD, so I can re-import.

My iPod hasn't worked in Ages. But every time I decide to take it to the store, it starts working again.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2006, 09:25:20 am »

Just to make clear, I do not think the Zune will be that good.  I just HOPE the Zune will be good.  Probably not since it is just a modified gigabeat right now, but I just want some company besides ipod to come out with a small, large capacity flash player. 

Also, DRM is retarded, I stay as far away from that as I can.  If it is true that microsoft is doing that, there is no way I would ever buy that.  I am just saying, maybe microsoft are the only ones with enough cash to make a player that can compare to a 8gb nano.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006, 04:03:13 pm »

Yay!  I got an iPod nano for my birthday!  Guess what?  My computer's so fuckin' old that I can't even charge the iPod off it.  I have to charge it at work!  I got an iPod, and for a full day all I could do was just hold it and think about how small it is.  I could barely sleep because I couldn't wait to get to work to charge it up.  Also, I put it in my purse, it slid between the pages of a pack of post it notes, and I was briefly terrified that I'd already lost it. 

This is the first piece of technology that I've gotten since my computer, which is almost 10 yrs old now.  I'd been using a CD walkman so old it makes weird chugging noises when it starts up playing a CD. 

You've got to hand it to the iPod people.  They made something so user friendly that a girl who didn't even know the difference between a mega bite and a gig was two days ago (me) was able to listen to her favorite music while walking to work today.

It's been loads of fun going through all my old CD's, and I look forward to downloading some of the music I lost the last time my computer crashed.

It's a very special time for me.  Yay iPod!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2006, 04:10:41 pm »

Smells - I bought a USB2 hub for $20 that has its own power source.  I use it to charge my handheld devices and my PC doesn't even have to be on.

Of course, if your 10 year old computer doesn't have a USB port, that may not matter.  But you can at least charge your iPod at home.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up