Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just got my first ipod..  (Read 18818 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2006, 05:56:00 am »

Also, I (ASCII symbol for "am obsessed with") my iPod.  So much.  It's been less than a month since I got it, and I can't even imagine life without it now.  Is so good.

Welcome to my world.  A world without an i-pod is a world I don't want to live in.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2006, 07:34:25 am »

damn, don't get all up in my world, then. iPod all being broken, all suddenly working on the day I decide to take it to Apple... all breaking again the next day... screen all blank, all telling me that This USB Device is Not Recognized...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2006, 02:28:19 pm »

I will deny the possibility of this happening until it happens to me.

Also, I was disgusted at the exorbitant price of skins, and so I made my own out of craft foam based on this template.  It only vaguely looked like an 8 yr old made it until I put the glitter glue on... But at least I have the template, so I can remake a better one now that I've had practice.  I found the semi-rigid plastic packing makes and nice screen cover... but what about the click wheel?  Any suggestions as to a material to cover the click wheel with that wont bar functionality?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2006, 07:44:49 pm »

oh, no, side_show, the reason mine is being a bitch is... it's kind of old at this point. And I am against my two options: "Daddy, I want a new iPod! This one is so... old!", and "I am getting a job, for purpose of buying a new iPod, which... I don't know how much I'll use it. And I'd rather buy shit for my guitar."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2006, 08:08:20 pm »

Man, those things got tracking devices and the new ones, microphones.

Stick with CDs, they're virtually free.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2006, 12:23:58 pm »

Cort, most of the new Mac computers don't have Firewire ports either.  Apple lost that fight, and gave up.

Not so. All current Mac models still ship with standard Firewire. There was a big kerfluffle when the rev.A MacBook Pro shipped without FW800, but that's been remedied in the latest revision.

Firewire is still the de facto standard for digital video and high-speed external storage. Apple dropped it from the iPod to cut costs and size.

</>pedant

Personally I'm not happy about the switch. I use my 3G iPod as a boot drive more often than I use it for playing music, and as far as I know you still can't boot from USB 2.0 drives. When I replace this thing next year I'll probably go for the oldest refurbished unit I can find.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2006, 03:39:05 pm »

You may not be able to boot from USB2 via the Mac, but I can on my Windows box.

It's a BIOS thing, it has nothing to do with the OS.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2006, 11:03:31 am »

I'm all for booting anywhere I can get it.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2006, 01:29:16 pm »

S'truth.  I actually used my old 40Gb iPod as a lifeboat when I ran a linux live cd on my laptop and copied files to it when the hard drive crashed and it was unbootable otherwise.

Sure, some of the disc sectors were corrupt, but I saved probably 85% of what I needed to. 

Thanks Linux+iPod!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2006, 07:56:29 pm »

Not so. All current Mac models still ship with standard Firewire. There was a big kerfluffle when the rev.A MacBook Pro shipped without FW800, but that's been remedied in the latest revision.

Firewire is still the de facto standard for digital video and high-speed external storage. Apple dropped it from the iPod to cut costs and size.

</>pedant

Personally I'm not happy about the switch. I use my 3G iPod as a boot drive more often than I use it for playing music, and as far as I know you still can't boot from USB 2.0 drives. When I replace this thing next year I'll probably go for the oldest refurbished unit I can find.


As I might have mentioned before, I got one of the 10-G second generation iPods when I was in grad school. Being a Windows user and trying to deal with Firewire is a huuuuge pain in the aorta. And the Firewire cable that was shipped with the unit was total crap -- I finally had to buy a new Firewire cable just to be able to load music onto it.

I can't fuck*ng wait to get one of the new USB iPods. My iPod is so old that it only supports MP3 format music, which blows because the AAC lossless format takes up much less space. Also making playlists on the fly would be nice.



EDIT: Also joughy******, the new rich editing in posts in Firefox 2 is great. highlighted misspelled words in red is super-fabulous.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 08:20:35 pm by linnea »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I just got my first ipod..
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2006, 01:09:57 am »

I'm a fan of any technology that makes me look less stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up