Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Day off  (Read 3666 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Day off
« on: September 18, 2003, 05:49:00 pm »

So who else has some time off work because of the Hurricane?

You still around, JL?

Have they battoned down the zoo, Wombat?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Day off
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 06:10:04 pm »

I'm off work, but may or may not be online.  I'm a mere hundred miles (maybe less) from the eye so things are kind of up in the air (literally) around here.  The power keeps blinking off and on so my posts are likely to be short and sweet today.  I'm learning the rule of "save early, save often" in earnest.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Day off
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 06:22:43 pm »

I had heard that people in Releigh were evaced already. I love watching the police doing their usual scare-the-hold-outs routine.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Day off
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 07:06:37 pm »

They let us go home early from the zoo, but we still have to go tomorrow.  Everyone needs to eat every day.  I am afraid it might be an exciting drive.  I don't even like to drive in normal rain.

We had to catch up some animals and move them indoors.  Then we just had to do the normal stuff like taking stuff indoors that might fly around, and sandbagging the basement doors.

Now I'm sitting at home obsessively watching the weather channel, suspiciously eying all the large trees in the vicinity, and waiting for the power to go out.  I think I'd rather be at work actually.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Day off
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 08:01:02 pm »

It's not supposed to hit PA hard until the wee hours this morning, but it's already raining and very windy.

Everything's pretty much closed today and I'm sure tomorrow will be no different.

It's like a big coastal snow day!

Of course, the fun will have less of an impact if the power goes out.  My laptop's battery won't even last long enough to play half of a DVD.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Day off
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 08:30:05 pm »

The lights keep blinking on and off - I think we're going down....
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Day off
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 08:31:23 pm »

Consarn it...
I get nothing from this accursed storm but a chance that my friend's party might have to move indoors.
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Day off
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 02:09:26 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I had heard that people in Releigh were evaced already. I love watching the police doing their usual scare-the-hold-outs routine.


No mandatory evac here, but a lot of people jumped ship.  They generally don't kick people out of their homes this far inland.  I've lived here 11 years and survived 4 hurricanes (Fran, Floyd, Bertha, and now Isabel) and I've never heard of a mandatory evac this side of Greenville.  But, like I said, a lot of people leave anyway.  

I like to stick it out with candles and my gas range.  It makes me feel like I've "lived the experience."  Plus, I'm too cheap to spring for a hotel.  Yesterday, about noon, I went and walked around the yard.  It was wet.  And windy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up