Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Live in Chicago?  (Read 6967 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Anyone Live in Chicago?
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:00:23 pm »

Is Chicago your kind of town?

I'm going to be in the windy city on Tuesday.  Not for long, mind you - just for an interview and then I should have a couple hours before I have to fly back to Philly again.

Anyway, if anyone lives in or around Chicago and wants to buy me a (non-alcoholic) drink, we should totally meet up.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:38:25 pm »

Nobody?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 01:24:27 pm »

Perhaps someone does live in Chicago, but they just don't want to meet you.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 01:29:23 pm »

Wait a minute, an interview? Like for a job?  You can't move to Chicago before you've ever come down to DC for an Ache-con.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:14 pm »

I wish I lived in Chicago.  Is that good enough?

Getting A Drink With Jough would be about reason #20 for me to move there.

Reason #19 is Jim Thome.

Reason #21 is Trashspotting Outside Oprah's Place.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 06:15:41 am »

Yeah, for an interview.  For a job.  In Chicago.  Photos tomorrow.

Have to decide soon.  D.C. still an option.  I should know about that on Thursday.  Then... decisions.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:50:32 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 12:44:32 pm »

Yup. The kiddo had a doctor's appointment yesterday evening and I don't live near downtown (where I assume Jough's interview was) or near an airport. I didn't want to voice these mealy-mouthed excuses, but there it is. Chicago is a great place, though.

Let me know if you neeid neighborhood ideas or whatnot.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 02:59:33 pm »

Jorge: I have been doing some research into Chicago neighbourhoods and housing therein, but I could certainly use suggestions or some insider info, as these sites about Chicago neighbourhoods tend to be run by realtors who may not list some of the more negative aspects of living in such a place as Rogers Park, etc.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 04:35:07 pm »

I'm your man on Rogers Park, as I lived there for two years. I'll write something up in a little bit. Let me know what issues might be the most important to you and I'll make sure to touch on those.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 09:31:55 pm »

Now hold on one minute.  Jough can't just up and move to Chicago. I find the whole concept disturbing. I won't allow it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 07:22:09 am »

Why can't I just up and move to Chicago?

No, seriously - if you can voice a serious objection I'll add it to the shorter-than-pros "Cons" side of my list.

Jorge: I honestly don't know enough about Chicago to know where I would want to live in it.

Basically if I move there I'll be working right downtown on (in?) the Loop, a couple of blocks from the Sears Tower.

I will be without a car, at least at first, but I may want the option to get one in the future, even if I want to be able to take the CTA or Metra to work.

So, my criteria are pretty slim.  I want to live in a decent although not necessarily fancy place, a one bedroom or loft (not so crazy about studios where the kitchen is in the bedroom which is also the living room) and I require air conditioning and heat that I can control - I lived in a place with a radiator that I couldn't shut off and I got sick by leaving the window open all winter just to balance the airflow.

I'd prefer a place with no roach problem or rats.  I'd like a dishwasher and fridge.  Plumbing that works.

I want to live in a place where I don't have to worry too much about my place being robbed while I'm out. 

I think it'll be easier to get around in the city rather than the suburbs, especially since I'll be carless but wanting to check out jazz clubs that may be open after public transportation has ended, so being able to walk home is highly preferred.

I don't mind having to take the El or train to work, so it's not like I need to live near the Loop.  I guess I'd like to live at least somewhat near a train or El stop then, though.  Maybe not so near that the rent is double that of places four blocks away, though.

Is Logan Square nice?  It sounds nice when reading about places on craigslist, but I heard a man was killed there the other day, and apparently that was so rare that it was BIG NEWS.  So I'm not too worried.

But do I have other needs of which I'm unaware?  I don't know.  I'm unaware.

I'm not even sure how much I'll have to budget for rent yet.  What percentage of one's monthly salary should you budget for rent?  In other words, how do you figure out what kind of a place you can afford?  I'm used to bohemian (i.e. ghetto) living, but I'm not so used to it that I'll miss it.  I'm looking to move to a nice(r) place.


KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 08:36:45 am »

When I was trying to move from Norman Ok to Boulder CO, my dad told me to make sure that my rent was 1/4th of my paycheck.  I guess this is a good figure.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 12:42:35 pm »

I don't think that there are any jazz clubs in Rogers Park, but The Green Mill is a short el ride away (if you're near the el, of course). It's also the quasi-birthplace of the poetry slam, if you're into that sort of thing. The redline (el) runs all night, but the trains get spread out when it's late. Most of the busses don't run at night.

It looks like the best way to get near the Sears Tower from Rogers Park is the Metra Union Pacific North Line. You can map out public transportation trips here: http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/. I'm a big fan of commuting to work on a train, because you can read and/or listen to you ipod or whatever. It's much more relaxing than driving. Of course, the main transportation concern without a car is how to get to work and how to get groceries. There are some good independent grocery stores, for example, Morse Market and The Devon Market have cheap produce. For more traditional American and/or processed foods, you can look up the websites for Jewel and Dominicks--the two big chains in the Chicago area.

Rogers Park is touted as the third-safest neighborhood in Chicago. Make of that what you will. There is high crime in certain spots. If you see a big blue light on a telephone pole, that marks a police security camera and likely indicates that area is a hub for crime. I never had an apartment broken into and I never felt my family's safety was threatened inside the apartment. The place I lived with my wife and stepdaughter was on the fourth floor--so I figured it wasn't low-hanging fruit if someone was determined to rob our building. I never heard of any theft in anyone else's apartment (in the complexes I lived in), either. A bike was stolen from a storage space at my mom's old place in Edgewater, and the coin boxes on the laundry machines were pryed out at one placed I lived at, but that's really not the same thing. The only crime ever committed against me was having my car window knocked out when I lived in a not as densely populated part of RP. As far as I know, it was part of a string of vandalism and nothing was stolen. You can check the crime states for a specific address, intersection, ward, zip code, or whatever here: http://www.chicagocrime.org/. There were a few homicides in the neighborhood when I lived there. Like I said, the relative safety varies a lot from block to block. My mom and her husband live in a pretty nice part near Loyola University and I'm not in the least bit concerned for their safety. My mom isn't out walking late at night, though, so take that into consideration. For a very pessimistic look at Rogers Park crime and politics, you can look here: http://morsehellhole.blogspot.com/

If/when you get a car, parking will probably be a bitch. The closer to the lake and redline (both on the east end of Rogers Park) you get, the denser the population and thus fewer parking spots. You might want to get a place with private parking when that happens. Alternatively, there are streets with permit-only parking at certain hours, and it's easier to find a place there if you buy a permit. We generally would not be out with the car past a certain time in the evening so that we wouldn't have to park 1/4 or 1/2 mile away from our apartment. The city takes advantage of the parking crisis with archane laws so they can bring in lots of revenue. Rather than setting a standard schedule, they put up temporary signs indicating street cleaning will happen on a given side of the street in two days or so. If you parked far away from your apartment, didn't use your car for a few days and those signs went up, you'd likely be up shit creek. Also, it's inevitable that your car will get nicked up from people parking in a tight spot behind or in front of it.

Most apartments will be old--often with nice hardwood floors and wood trim. I could turn off the heat in all of the places I lived in--one with a wall-mounted thermostat, one with a knob on the radiator, and one only with pliers. Most places don't have central a/c, so you'll have to get a  window unit--especially if you live on a higher floor. Rent is pretty affordable compared to other northside neighborhoods. We negotiated our rent down to $855 for a two bedroom unit.

Now, the good stuff. Rogers Park is the most diverse neighborhood in Chicago, and supposedly one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country. This affects you how? Well, for one thing, a variety of ethnic foods offered in grocery stores. Next, great restaurants. Lots of Indian places on Devon, the Ethiopian Diamond (my favorite place) neaby in Edgewater, taquerias, J.B. Alberto's pizza, etc. As far as open space, there is the lake on the east side (totally makes up for not having a yard if you take advantage of it) and Warren Park on the west side.

I don't know much about Logan Square other than that I know people who live there and like it. You could probably get to work faster if you lived there. Let me know if you're coming to town again and I'll see if I can show you around.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 01:21:42 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that these days most people spend closer to 1/3 of their income on rent.  But $855 for two bedrooms sounds like a bargain.  Maybe you should move to Chicago after all.

I have no real objections except that it disturbs my picture of the universe where Jough is right up there in Philadelphia, just a train ride away.  Not that I have ever done anything about this.  Seriously, Chicago seems like a great city, except for the weather. I interviewed for a job there once myself and the only real problem seemed to be WINTER.

But you will be moving away from all your friends. Those people with the inflatable indoor pool, and all. You seem to know a lot of fun people.  Aren't you going to be lonely?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up