Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Live in Chicago?  (Read 6932 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 10:12:37 pm »

Inev: unless you've been hiding the fact that you're a sexy blonde girl, your visiting me is not a plus.

Having said that, if I'm in the city and you come to visit your friends I would be up for hanging out with you a little.  But you can't like, get into bars and stuff, can you?

Womby, I understand what you're saying, but it's not like we hang out, and hanging with you is not really near the top of my list.

Yes, the jobs are somewhat different but not that different.  They're comparable.  The one I'd be working on a single monolithic huge web site, and the other one I'd be working on a single monolithic huge web site... at first. Then I'd probably move on to another huge monolithic web site.  I like huge monolithic web sites, though.

Wherever I go I'll probably treat the job like a long term contract at first, not get too attached, work hard, do my job, and try to keep it all-business.  Not that I'm not a friendly man of the people. ;)

Anyway, I think I have made my decision based on the many factors involved.  I hoped to make a decision by tomorrow anyway, and I will still give myself the weekend to let it sink in before I make my calls on Monday.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 10:23:54 pm »

What, you don't think you should make major life decisions because of your place in my fantasy life?  Damn.  Well, you better take a lot more nice pictures of Chicago then.  Don't forget to go the zoos and the aquarium.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 10:26:46 pm »

I'm not a big fan of animals, but it looks like they have a nice aquarium, so maybe I'll check that out... someday.

I am more into architecture and bridges and stuff.  Anything with lots of steel and concrete.  Trees and animals - not so much.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 10:33:37 pm »

Jough-- yes, that is what I was suggesting. I would come visit my friends, and do a mini-visit where I said Hi to you, and shook your hand, etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 10:36:04 pm »

Well there is certainly enough architecture in Chicago to keep a person busy. But I have a vague recollection that they have nice old buildings at the Lincoln Park zoo.  Of the brick kind, not steel and concrete, though.

But I'm warning you - in my experience, scrapple freezes very poorly.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2006, 01:59:15 am »

Man, even just thinking about those logistics of living in Philly and moving to Chicago give me hives. Now that I live in a town with no stoplights and 8 miles of paved roads I cannot imagine living in the city again.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2006, 06:22:50 am »

Chicago is a great town if you look past the broiling summers, the soul-freezing winters, the crime, the corrupt and brutal police force, the noise, the filth, the terrible roads, the racism, poverty and gangs, and the vast groaning herds of sweaty tourists that descend on the city during the aforementioned summers. Seriously, I have always found it awesome in every other way.

No shit about those summers though. Last time I was there it was early August, and we went to the Shedd Aquarium, and there were so many people pouring off heat inside that air-conditioned building that all the tank windows fogged up and nobody could see the giraffe. Fuck*ng brutal.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:27:16 am by Bimmicus »
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Anyone Live in Chicago?
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 06:54:12 am »

Yeah, summers in Philly are brutal too, and we don't have a lake to keep things cool.

Philly also has its share of corrupt cops, filth, crime, and sweaty tourists.

If I wanted to avoid the tourists I'd move to Omaha.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up