Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: misterqueue, come home!  (Read 5630 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 01:27:52 pm »

Re: your signature tI. You can also register where you go to school. Many communities frown on this, as they feel that college students skew the politics of the townies but it's totally legal as long as you don't also vote back home.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 06:10:50 pm »

really? Even if I registered to vote back home?

Would I be able to vote back in NC after this election? I will check this out. Thank you for this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 07:44:40 pm »

Legally, you are supposed to transfer your registration each time. So if you register and vote where you go to school, you should put the former address where you were registered. You should then re-register in your hometown at a later date if you want to vote there.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 08:29:48 pm »

really? Even if I registered to vote back home?

Would I be able to vote back in NC after this election? I will check this out. Thank you for this.

The downside being that it's probably already too late to register where you go to school.

I wasn't aware this is legal either until the SO explained it's actually a common left-wing tactic. Groups will try to get college students (on the assumption that young=liberal) to register in their college district when there's a contentious election. It really pisses off some people who don't consider the students to be "real" residents as they only live there about 7 months out of the year and will presumably leave after 4 years which is barely one-term for many positions.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 09:10:01 pm »

ironically, I'm pretty sure my vote will have very little effect in St Louis.

In Charlotte, on the other hand, my vote would probably be more effective? My view of that city is skewed, of course, by having grown up among rich white people.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 10:12:34 am »

The downside being that it's probably already too late to register where you go to school.

I wasn't aware this is legal either until the SO explained it's actually a common left-wing tactic. Groups will try to get college students (on the assumption that young=liberal) to register in their college district when there's a contentious election. It really pisses off some people who don't consider the students to be "real" residents as they only live there about 7 months out of the year and will presumably leave after 4 years which is barely one-term for many positions.

First of all, I think you have to have something like 60 or 30 days to register, so it is either to late or very close to to late. 

Second, your SO is skewed.  Assuming the students will vote regardless, and assuming that the majority of students at state universities are from that state, it would help the left wing in one district (like you hinted at, young doesn't always equal liberal, so maybe not), but hurt them in x amount others.  Depending on the state (how close elections are, others in same district as college, etc.) this could either hurt or help the left, just as it could hurt or help the right.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 01:01:36 pm »

ironically, I'm pretty sure my vote will have very little effect in St Louis.

In Charlotte, on the other hand, my vote would probably be more effective? My view of that city is skewed, of course, by having grown up among rich white people.

Setting state legislature races aside, it looks like WUSTL falls into a congressional district safe for Dems. The US Senate candidates are running neck and neck, so you would have a chance of influencing that. So far as I can tell, there are no US Senate elections in North Carolina this term. Registration in Missouri closes on Oct. 11.
http://record.wustl.edu/web/page/normal/7889.html
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 02:57:36 pm »

Wait, hold on....inev's from Charlotte?  And nobody told me?!?! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 03:32:02 pm »

Well, if you if you spent more time around here....

[/noodging]
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 04:02:57 pm »

Geez, you take one little two-year hiatus and suddenly everyone's on your case...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »

littlefalls: that is, of course, assuming most students will vote. which is not the case at all.

jl: yes. but I'm not there right now. I will be next weekend, though! for 2 days.

shit, are there seriously not elections in NC right now? This is embarassing. People asked me if I was registered to vote there, so I didn't really think about it. There were definitely elections last year. Urgh.

if I were going to register to vote in St Louis, the deadline is the 11th of this month. I suppose if I'm not missing an election back home it isn't as much of a big deal.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 06:30:34 pm »

Nono, there are elections. It's just an off year for the US Senators, I believe. There should be congressional (representative) elections among other things.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 08:53:34 pm »

congressional (representative) elections

Can I just say that I hate this convetion. It's so confusing that we call reps "congressmen." Senators are also part of Congress but nobody ever calls them "congressmen." I blame stuck up senators who think that they're better than the reps. Senators can suck it.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 09:25:12 pm »

Senators can suck it.

Furthermore, the concept of the bicameral legislature can take it in the dumper.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: misterqueue, come home!
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 10:20:05 pm »

Furthermore, the concept of the bicameral legislature can take it in the dumper.

H...hot?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up