Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Romantic Advice Thread: Nice Guys, Bad Boys, Boys With Sisters, and Johnny Depp  (Read 4037 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

Just looked at the pictures... criminy, what a handsome lad.  Stay away from my daughters, you!  No dating until they're 21!

Awww, c'mon.  You know I'm raising him to worship the ground we ladies walk on.  And we're hoping he gets a sister of his own someday.  I think boys who grow up with girls treat women better.  They've always got that question in the back of their minds: "If I guy treated my sister this way, would I have to break his legs?" 

Feel free to argue, men without sisters.  Prove me wrong.  But in my experience, guys I've dated who have sisters are on the whole more thoughtful, kinder, and more likely to buy chocolate unprompted. 

They are not, however, less likely to wear black ****** with white socks and brown shoes. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 12:52:36 am by V-Adore »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 03:06:23 pm »

I have three brothers and no sisters, but I have still got into three fights over the honour of a lady, and without meaning to sound like a prick (too late), I always treat girls with pretty good courtesy and respect. Compared to the average teenage dude in our area, I'm a goddamn gentleman, and most of them have sisters. So it's probably other things that influence such dispositions.

The problem is, it seems there are actually quite a few girls I know who like a dude who has the guts to take the piss out of them. Perhaps my good manners towards women stems from a fear of being universally reviled by them. Luckily, there are also plenty (running out of synonyms for ladies, here) of gals who like a guy that don't feel the need to comment on all their friend's potential boneability.

Talking of buying chocolate: I actually got into mini-trouble with a girl when I bought her some Cadbury's for Christmas. She was dieting, see, and in her eyes I was only trying to make things worse. (She still took it, of course.)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 05:05:34 pm »

I think you might be too late JL, I've always thought it is specifically older sisters that induces this trait, but I might be wrong. I only have a little brother and that just makes me think I know better than everyone else female or no.


I actually got into mini-trouble with a girl when I bought her some Cadbury's for Christmas. She was dieting, see, and in her eyes I was only trying to make things worse. (She still took it, of course.)
I was going to make some crack about how figuring out the logic here would tell you everything you need to know about women but then I thought I'd probably do this too so I guess it's more universal. I suck at witty commentary.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:31:18 pm »

The problem is, it seems there are actually quite a few girls I know who like a dude who has the guts to take the piss out of them. Perhaps my good manners towards women stems from a fear of being universally reviled by them.

Hi, nice to meet you....Judy?  JIADS?  Do you have a catchy nickname I don't know about yet?  (Which reminds me, is Bozack still around here?) 

I gather from your post that you're as of yet what we used to call "a yoot."  (Darn whippersnappers.)  As I tell my 23 year old friend who loves kids and wants a nice girl to marry, women under 25 are, for the most part, fools.  (How many people can I offend in just one thread?  Let's find out!)  I did the "bad boy" thing for a good long time, and there's still a part of me (all right, a large part) that seriously wants to bone Johnny Depp.  But when a woman hits a certain age, that biological clock kicks in and she starts worrying more about whether the guy is likely to be able to make money without getting himself killed than whether he's got a really hot Dukati and looks good in leather #####. 

In other words, nice guys might finish last, but he who laughs last laughs best. 

Or something. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 07:01:28 pm »

also, if you hang about with your bass guitar long enough, and write pretty/sensitive songs about love, one day a girl will come up and tell you that your music is the most amazing thing in the world. and she'll want to date you. [/loubarlow]

but for real, there is nothing more Hot than being in a rock band. at least, so I've heard. I will hopefully know the truth soon.

judy, you're 16. when I was your age, I was pining away for a silly girl who didn't like me. Now, I have women on every elbow! They get slightly more reasonable as they get older.

(also, I am mostly kidding. they aren't on every elbow... it's just a little harmless flirting between friends. at least, that's what I'll tell myself. *thinks hard of his Girl*)

judy, just hold on! they get better with age, and there are nice, cute girls out there who would love for some sensitive guy to come over and listen to Twee Pop with them. and she'd have cute little glasses, and wear a cardigan...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:53:10 pm »

seriously wants to bone Johnny Depp. 

Johnny Depp is pretty much not bad boy material any more though, did you see Neverland?

Besides I'd bone Johnny Depp. In fact one of the conditions me and my long term lady made was that if either of us got the chance that was fair game.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 11:03:08 pm »

so. my girlfriend is a nice, smart, polite young lady. she enjoys reading good books, painting, and going on aimless walks through crowded urban areas. I go into her room, and BAM. Life sized Johnny Depp poster.

you can't be surprised, at this point. ladies love him.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 01:16:14 am »

people under 25 are, for the most part, fools.

Fixed that for you.  Really, clearly the foolishness of youth is equal-opportunity.



Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:56:25 am »

Fixed that for you.  Really, clearly the foolishness of youth is equal-opportunity.

Ah, the foolishness of youth! Hell, I'm 27 and I still consider myself in that category.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

I was wondering when this split was going to take place.  Good to see y'all are still on top of it.  I probably still have the authority to do that myself, but...you know.  Laziness. 

I have about six seconds before my kid accosts me again, but let me just say that Johnny Depp will always be a bad boy.  Always.

I have this theory that a woman's "type" bears a direct correlation to her favorite superhero -- mainly the Big Three: Batman, Superman, and Spider-man.  The Dark Knight, of course, represents the dark stranger, the man with a mysterious past.  Superman is basically your boy next door, captain of the football team, all-American guy.  Spiderman is a geek, maybe a little shy, but sweet, with a good sense of humor. 

I don't think we even need to analyze the women whose favorite superhero is Wonder Woman.  And occasionally you run across women who love Gambit or Wolverine (lots of those lately), but really aren't they just all variations on the three main types?  Besides, women who know that much about comic books are bound to be a little wierd anyway.  (I count myself among those proud few.) 

I'm a spidey girl, personally.  Something about the tights...and, of course, let's not forget bondage.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

wasn't clark kent kind of a geeky type? I guess Clark Kent wasn't actually the superhero...

my favorite is Superman. which... wow. WOW. that explains why I enjoy the company of certain people so much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

My favorite super hero was Dr. Fate.   Crap. What does that say about me?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 04:28:04 am »

but for real, there is nothing more Hot than being in a rock band. at least, so I've heard. I will hopefully know the truth soon.

Yeah, there is nothing Hotter than transporting drum kits, being ripped off by venues and forced offstage early, and shamelessly promoting shows to people who don't want to go and especially don't want to pay.  However, independantly setting up shows on private or rented property:  that's where the fun is at.

In a related fact, I learned the socks/#####/shoes issue from my tenure in the string orchestra.  Show up to a performance wearing white socks, and you ain't playin'.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile

I think a valuable distinction can be drawn between the Batman type and the Wolverine/Gambit type, and that distinction is Bruce Wayne. Batman is dark, lonesome, brooding and mysterious, but he's also rich and classy - he's your classic "tall, dark stranger" while Wolverine is the guy in leather ##### on a motorcycle.

Regarding the Dr. Fate question, the answer is "hit up Burning Man and look for someone with Egyptian jewelry and preferably a huge gold cloak".
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Now I feel like there's something wrong with me that I am not attracted to any superheroes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up