you don't need to have seen the previous shows to understand what's going on (important things are explained)
Well, see, like, there's the point.
It HELPS to have seen the other episodes. It ADDS ANOTHER LAYER to have seen the episodes.
But at the end of the day, you could fully enjoy "Arrested Development" on most levels without having seen a frame of it before.
Because... even though it was complicated... all the major points were reset so that things made sense to a new viewer. It never used the Trendiness of Obscurity as a crutch or an excuse. Yeah, you might get running background gags or a second laugh out of a layered joke with encyclopedic knowledge of the show but...
You didn't need a CIA shortwave numbers-station one-time-pad to understand what the hell was going on. "Okay, Yankee means Buffy... Hotel means Spike and... Foxtrot means... Angel? Oh! I get it! They needed to use the Talisman of Somesuch to defeat the Great and Powerful Whatever so that they could all go home, crackwise about popular culture and then have dirty sex! It all makes sense now!"
Even though I only watched it intermittently, I was still able to get one of the biggest laughs I've ever gotten out of a half-hour comedy from... the culmination of the arc where the chick from "Monster" played the world's hottest woman with a mental disability. One-two gut punch of the world's greatest "Being There" reference and then... "it's my illusion!" I fell out of my chair, doubled-over.
Ain't nothing wrong with layered and nuanced. That can be the best television of all.
What's wrong is when... it's all nuance, it's all in-reference, it's all continuity.
Then, you're not making a television show, you're just handing out cheap fan-service handjobs to your core audience and... pissing everyone else off. Tell a story, man, not a jigsaw puzzle. Or, if you're gonna tell a jigsaw puzzle, give us one of those ones from when we were kids when... like... it was a bunch of little puzzles that you can later fit together if you like by removing the borders and putting them all together and make a big puzzle but... you can still appreciate each single picture on its own.
I had, like, sixteen different GI Joe puzzles that all fit together like that as a kid.
It was awesome.
TV, I order you to be more like that.
(note: the two Wilco references above were not planned out ahead of time, they just happened.)