Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?  (Read 9430 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2007, 06:13:25 am »

damn, lfm, are you trying for record can count or something? it's gonna be tough. jough was handing out like thousands at a time a while back.

My favorite thing about Arrested Development was that the "Previously" and "Next time..." bits were never actually previously nor next time. That and "loose seal."

Totally agreed on Seth McFarlane. And Earl + Office. Cort, I completely get why you don't like Tom GttM. That said, it's one of my favorite cartoons ever, in spite of the fact that Bob Oedenkirk hasn't done anything worthwhile since Mr. Show.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2007, 06:24:20 am »

The key to "Tom Goes To The Mayor" is its... true and utter contempt for Middle American Stars and Crosses and Smile-Faces mediocre bullcrap. There is no pussyfooting, there are no mitigating factors, no excuses made or offered.

They really really hate everything about mainstream Wal-Mart low-brow settle-ism. No lessons learned, no hugging, no silver linings, nothing. Complete condescending rage toward the whole stinking mess.

The... purity of vision there, just taking that idea and going with it as far as it will possibly go...

I really really love that. And... it allows me to forgive all of the show's glaring inconsistencies.

It's the "Jesus knocking over the money changers" of late-night absurdist cartoons and...

It's just so right. It's like the only show Bill Hicks would be watching if said dude was still amoungst us.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 06:28:06 am by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2007, 07:01:12 am »

The cheese fries, man. The cheese fries.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2007, 08:24:40 am »

oh man, Jesus knocking over the tables of the money-changers. My friend told me she thought that scene in Jesus Christ, Superstar was really Anti-Semitic. I tried to explain that that scene is actually in the bible, but she didn't see how that changed anything. It ended up being pretty awkward.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2007, 05:33:35 pm »

Rats off to ya, LFM.

I've got a pretty large love for Venture Bros.   There was some weird synchronicity this last season.   About the same time Achewood referenced Klaus Nomi, VB turned around and put Klaus into the show.  That was pretty awesome.  There has to be two distinct subsets of people, aside from completionist David Bowie fans, that would get a Klaus Nomi reference.   I'm thinking it's pretty much Achewood fans, and New York Art Freaks from the Late 70s.

I may be wrong.  Only one of those two groups is likely to be a VB fan.

What about Tom and Eric's Awesome Show: Great job!   Are you excited for that?   The stuff I've seen from it appears really mediocre, which is sad.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2007, 05:44:51 pm »

Quote from: smick
There has to be two distinct subsets of people, aside from completionist David Bowie fans, that would get a Klaus Nomi reference.   I'm thinking it's pretty much Achewood fans, and New York Art Freaks from the Late 70s.

What about Tom and Eric's Awesome Show: Great job!   Are you excited for that?

As the long-suffering brother of the King of the Bowie Completists, I will get pretty much every Klaus Nomi reference ever.

As for Awesome Show... well...

a.) I find that commericals/short clips tend to not do T&E's work justice, as so much of the best of their stuff is about milking painful silences and running recurrent jokes so far into the ground that they come back out of the Earth in China, somehow funny again.

and

b.) Mediocre "those guys" is still funnier than... pretty much everything first-run on American television other than The Venture Brothers or the best episodes of "The Office" so... I'm still pretty psyched.

Of course, I get psyched over weird things. I was completely psyched about seeing a Pink Floyd laser show, I'm completely psyched about the GNR album "Chinese Democracy", I'm completely psyched about seeing a midnight screening of "The Room" possibly the worst indie film ever made, I'm completely psyched about going back into therapy for my anxiety problems.

Again, your mileage may vary.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2007, 10:19:13 pm »

I don't think Arrested Development will be as funny in six months as it was six months ago due to the self-referential nature of some of the gags.  The bits in the last season about HBO and movie options were hilariously topical when they were first-run episodes, but I had to think for a few minutes to remember the references when I saw the reruns on G4 last week. 

Even more significant reference bits like the Saddam spider hole will definitely age with the grace of Zach Morris' cell phone.

Speaking of Zack Morris, I'm thankful for the exposition provided by the Saved By The Bell theme song.  Without it I would've been lost.
Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

Yes, but there were very few topical jokes, and most of them occurred in the third season.  While the third season might fade a little,  I think the first two have enormous lasting power.  I really think that in a few years from now people will look back and say "damn that show was funny"

Furthermore, beyond the obvious jokes, there were tons and tons of subtleties that you don't get in one or two or possibly even three watches.  I say, let us re-convene in six months and watch again and discuss.

COURT ADJOURNED!
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2007, 12:20:21 am »

As the long-suffering brother of the King of the Bowie Completists, I will get pretty much every Klaus Nomi reference ever.

Oh man, I meant to mention the, and you already know of this but really it's for folks reading along, David Bowie singing "Man Who Sold the World" on SNL with backing Vocals by Klaus 'n' Friend.  Klaus 'n' Friend totally had to carry Bowie onto the stage since he was unable to ambulate in the Nomiesque body suit.  (I still think that the 'bots (Liebot, et al) are pattered after the Art Deco Nomi bodies)

YouTube is being wacky at the moment, otherwise I would link to the multiple medias of the interconnected networks.

P.S. Dwight's facist speech at the convention last season was the winner of 2006.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2007, 05:56:17 pm »

Lost starts up again tomorrow.  Just sayin'.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:43 pm »

I'm pretty excited for Lost to be starting back up. I'm not burned-out on the show like so many others since I only recently watched the entire series in the span of 3 weeks thanks to the magic of torrents. Not having to be jerked off week to week tends to make you more wiling to accept the show's twists.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2007, 02:16:55 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/arts/television/08lost.html?_r=1&8dpc&oref=slogin

Looks like they've set an offical endpoint for the series: 2010, meaning three more 16 episode seasons.

I'd have preferred only two more seasons, but it's nice to have a frame of reference for the show. Now it's like reading a book and knowing how many pages are left.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2007, 04:11:20 am »

I think more shows should do that - it might provide structure that otherwise causes meandering and soap opera-ism.

Oh no!  Our favourite surgeon might have a brain tumor.  (Cue long dramatic pause).

Is E.R. still in production?  Someone should have shot that hoss a long time ago.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2007, 08:50:33 am »

Yes, ER is still going.   Though they've pretty much turned over the original cast, with the exception of 1 or 2 of the nurses. 

I think at some point though, some government board would step in and shut that place down.   It's blown up a couple times, been on fire a bunch, had a helecopter cut off a surgeons arm, another helecopter fell off the building and crushed that same surgeon (Clearly it was the same one, once it had the taste of blood, it needed to finish the job), most of the doctors and nurses have been kidnapped, shot, stabbed, multiple hostage situations, rapes, rocks, bad haircuts, pointy sticks...

Clearly they're doing something wrong, and need to have their license pulled.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: LOST: Am I the only one who watches?
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2007, 09:46:55 am »

[This hospital has been condemned for a rampant uncontrollable infestation of drama and cliffhangers]
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up