Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: October 6, 2006 - A phone is like a woman who hates you. It's all she does.  (Read 5433 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10062006

I have nothing to say about the strip itself; I just can't believe no one else has started a thread yet.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

I am fascinated by and a little terrifed of Out-of-Focus Guy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site

It's true.  Every time it rings, somebody wants something from you.  It's just an endless line of people asking for favors.

Everyone I know becomes a zombie, reaching out to brush my face with their slimy hands.









immedei-edit:  This theme has been introduced pretty strongly recently.  A few weeks ago Pat is annoyed when the phone rings and says, "Who calls people anymore, how rude," and also very recently Ray is peeved because, "who calls a brother in the tub?"
Logged
ACHIEVE

JALove

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile

I think The Faintly Blurry Man has to be my favorite character ever.  I also like how, despite having largely instigated this whole ordeal, Bensington is out of sorts and just lets Ray take the lead.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Yeah, the out-of-focus guy is kind of scary. I keep imagining Ray and Butters in some kind of Pulp Fiction pawn shop hellhole. This cannot be good.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

man, intense. women are totally like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE

Ray's face in the penultimate panel is just heartbreaking. Like he knows they're screwed no matter what they do.

Does it matter if your Magreaux Dog isn't a "real" Magreaux Dog? Does it?

Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

I really hope this isn't the last we see of out of focus guy, it's like he's gone inside and forgotten that they can't follow, but I crave more.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile

OF Guy = Onstead's attempt to evoke Gene Wilder. Pretty good job, too.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

It's true.  Every time it rings, somebody wants something from you.  It's just an endless line of people asking for favors.

Everyone I know becomes a zombie, reaching out to brush my face with their slimy hands.

immedei-edit:  This theme has been introduced pretty strongly recently.  A few weeks ago Pat is annoyed when the phone rings and says, "Who calls people anymore, how rude," and also very recently Ray is peeved because, "who calls a brother in the tub?"

I like getting phone calls, but then again i have a nifty cellphone and I don't get telemarketer calls (knock on wood). My favorite is when my sisters or parents call to chat, because I miss them and hardly ever get to talk to them. I don't get a whole lot of favormonging, though. People are usually calling to invite me to do something fun, like go to a party. I wish that more people would call  me to do things like go hiking, or snowboarding when the snow falls.
Logged

pez

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile

OF Guy makes today's strip a lot like reading a Paul Auster novel.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Ah, so when Ray opened the door and just saw more "outside" that was the security system. Nifty.

What's with Butters face at the end? There's like this stray line that I don't get what it's doing. I also can't believe that I just now noticed that he slicks back his ears.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest

The fact that Butters is totally out to see despite instigating this whole thing is pretty classic. Maybe he really did just charter the cheapest helicopter possible and didn't realize the magical-realist possibilities? (He seems like the kind of guy who would think that "Mexican magical realism" was a synonym for "especially well-plotted WWE match involving a pseudo-luchador," anyway.)

Also, Out-of-Focus Guy is freaking me out, but in a good, "I wonder if he ever gets together for coffee with Trouble Man and No-No" kind of a way. He's like a Paul Auster character except without whatever magical ingredient makes me allergic to Auster.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

I've always been a big fan of the "two dudes who really don't like each other and WON'T learn to be buddies no matter what they go through together... but here they are... unified by their common plane of reality in the face of something so weird or terrible and they're all the other one has until the crisis passes or they die" narrative.

I don't know if there's a shorter name for that narrative.

I'll have to consult the ghost of Joseph Campbell that George Lucas keeps in a mason jar, next time I'm up in NoCal.

The closest I have is "the universal Superman and Lex Luthor on Red Sun Planet Vs. Gay Horny Gorilla story".

Anyway, I like where this is headed even though I have no idea where this is headed.

Though... this may be one of those exception strips where the alt-text was the logical title for the thread. Matter of taste, maybe.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile

I believe the term for that is
"You ok?"
"Naw man.  I'm pretty fuck*ng far from okay!"
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up