Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Way to Sell DVDs?  (Read 2786 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« on: October 06, 2006, 06:18:17 pm »

Hey kids,

Well, I'm moving soon (where will be a SURPRISE until Monday) and am wanting to lighten my load as much as possible, so I've decided to cut my DVD collection down by 25-50%.  I have hundreds upon hundreds of discs, many of which are just sitting in a box in a temperature and humidity-controlled storage container.

So I'm wondering: is there a decent place online to sell DVDs?  I sold the bulk of my CD collection to SecondSpin.com, and while they do buy DVDs too, I'd like to get at least $5 apiece for them.  They're all in excellent condition, and I have a lot of Criterion discs and foreign stuff.

Is there a decent place to sell DVDs online in bulk?  I've sold some more expensive ones on eBay, but I am not about to sell 400+ discs individually.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 06:23:06 pm »

list the collection on ebay as a single lot, or a couple different lots divided by quality or genre, and put a reserve equal to $5 per. You're allowed to auction lots of multiple different items.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 06:24:14 pm »

Alternately, what about posting a list here? I know I'd personally snap at the chance to buy some Criterion DVDs at a discount.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:33:56 pm »

Am trying to get $15/ea. for the Criterions.

Armageddon
Avventura, L'
Bande à part
Beastie Boys: DVD Anthology
Children of Paradise
Diabolique
Diary of a Country Priest
Hidden Fortress, The
Ikiru
In the Mood for Love
Last Temptation of Christ, The
Lord of the Flies (1963)
M. Hulot's Holiday
Naked Lunch
Night and Fog
Rashomon
Rock, The
Règle du jeu, La
Scenes from a Marriage ($20)
Slacker
Solaris
Spartacus ($20)
Story of Floating Weeds, A / Floating Weeds
Strada, La
That Obscure Object of Desire
Tokyo Story
Videodrome
Salaire de la peur, Le
Woman Is a Woman, A

Maybe I could just sell them all as a lot.  I don't know.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:16:33 pm »


Well, I'm moving soon (where will be a SURPRISE until Monday)


Oooo, I hate suspense.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 09:01:25 pm »

goddamn, I want a bunch of those. This is the result of watching at least 1 awesome movie a week in my film class. hm.

I'm actually going to go watch Regle du Jeu tonight. followed by Citizen Kane. It is going to be cool.

I would certainly take a few of those off your hands. I will consider my choices wisely.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 10:13:49 pm »

Yeah, I'm really tempted to go for some of the Kurosawa and Ozu. I suspect Ikiru will make me cry like a tiny child, but that may not be a bad thing.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:18:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm really tempted to go for some of the Kurosawa and Ozu. I suspect Ikiru will make me cry like a tiny child, but that may not be a bad thing.

Barenaked Ladies have ruined Kurosawa for me for life. I'll never be able to hear his name again without singing "like Kurosawa I make mad films. Kay, I don't make films. But if I did they'd have a samurai" in my head.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 10:48:18 pm »

Jough, I'd be shocked if you couldn't unload those in one batch on eBay.  Don't break up the set, sell the whole thing.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 11:58:15 pm »

Limmo, I just want to get as much as I can for them, which is why I'd rather rip off strangers than you good people.

However, you may all consider purchasing DVDs from me as helping the cause if the tip jar ain't your thing.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 12:15:17 am »

Yes, it should be all our things. 
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 12:21:11 am »

Well, you two are in good stead with me.  The tip jar is still jingling a little from your previous contributions.

It's those other bastards I'm eyeballing...

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 12:21:56 am »

And apparently it jingled a bit again.  Thanks for contributing to my moving fund, Limmo. :D

I will put the money towards buying a new computer desk or sofa, and think of you all fondly whenever I sit down at home.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 11:57:08 pm »

Jough, mail Regle du Jeu to me so that I will recieve it before tonight, OK? Writing a paper about it without being able to leave the library is no fun at all.

I am just kidding, but, it would be awesome if it were possible. Damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Best Way to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 12:54:51 am »

I have it sitting on my desk right now.  It's good times.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up