Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)  (Read 4718 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:37:04 am »

Oh man! So during my EMT-II class, we get to learn stuff about advanced care, like fluid replacement/IVs, intubation, etc. We are one step up from a regular EMT-Basic. We were discussing fluid replacement, and the teacher stated that it's important to listen to lung sounds as you give fluids to make sure that you're not overdoing the fluid. 

She said, "Take home a stethoscope and listen to lung sounds! Listen to your spouse's, or Somebody nice can listen to her cats!"

*sniffle* Okay, I get it! I don't have a boyfriend or husband! :( Everyone in the class knows it. Thank you for driving the point home.

I actually did take home a stethoscope, and Lennybruce let me listen to him purr. Milan was afraid of the stethoscope no matter how covertly I tried to listen to him, so I didn't push the envelope with him. Listening to them purr with the stethoscope is the cutest thing! Hearing them purr instantly relaxes me, so I want to figure out how to make a recording of their amplified purr. Since they start purring as soon as they see me, I was having difficulty hearing their heartbeat over the loud purring. I think that when I wake up tomorrow, and "the boys" are still sleeping, I'll try to listen to their kittyheartbeat while they're not purring.

Heh. I'm a dork. I do love my kitties. Someday I'll work on the boyfriend thing when I can find a non-crap dude.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 10:42:30 am »

I think that when I wake up tomorrow, and "the boys" are still sleeping, I'll try to listen to their kittyheartbeat while they're not purring.

Seriously awesome kitty stalking images in my head now. Just looming over them with your creepy stethoscope. That sounds like the type of thing that might cause kitty trauma.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:48:26 pm »

Heh.  Have you ever heard that Tenacious D bit about inward singing?  Well one of our cats does inward purring, and she's doing it right now. So cute.

As for the no boy-o problem... I don't deny that having a partner is nice, but I also really enjoyed being single for many years, and would just urge you to bask in the joys of singleness, and trusting that when/if the time is right for someone to come into your life they will.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:37:03 pm »

Heh.  Have you ever heard that Tenacious D bit about inward singing?  Well one of our cats does inward purring, and she's doing it right now. So cute.

My last cat used to do that. But what this really made me think of was one of the cats I used to cat-sit during the festival month in Edinburgh, which purred  so loud I started referring to her as an air cooled cat, for she sounded so like a VW van engine.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 08:46:25 pm »

my ex's cat purred like that. I could hear him over the phone, frequently.

whereas my cats purr infrequently enough for it to be a big deal. of course, even more so now that they're 100's of miles away.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 12:02:56 am »

Right now my parents have both sides of the feline purring/vocalization spectrum: one very talkative, social cat with a loud voice and purr, and one cat with a tiny voice and limited clue as to what purring is or why you would do it. What makes this amusing is that, perhaps inevitably, the tiny cat is the one with all the vocal faculties, so you have this wee little thing constantly calling around the house and the big one galumphing around very quietly, except when he is making a tiny kitten mew. It's like Of Mice and Men, but less likely to end in mercy-killing.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 12:19:05 am »

Right now my parents have both sides of the feline purring/vocalization spectrum: one very talkative, social cat with a loud voice and purr, and one cat with a tiny voice and limited clue as to what purring is or why you would do it. What makes this amusing is that, perhaps inevitably, the tiny cat is the one with all the vocal faculties, so you have this wee little thing constantly calling around the house and the big one galumphing around very quietly, except when he is making a tiny kitten mew. It's like Of Mice and Men, but less likely to end in mercy-killing.

Heh, I often call Lennybruce "my squeaky wheel" because he is very vocal and often demands petties with a loud, insistent, whiny meow. Milan, true to his folded-ear Scottish Fold heritage, has a very tiny voice and hardly ever talks...unless he's being loaded in the kitty carrier, in which case he bellows like an opera singer. Both of them have very loud purrs, and they start purring as soon as they see me. I love holding out the bell of the stethoscope for them to sniff, because I can hear their amplified sniffs and purrs as soon as they get their noses close enough.

And also, Doc.. it is not creepy! I am a medical provider that is trying to become better at listening to lung sounds!
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:20:47 am »

Linnea, do not be sad! As you said, it is a lot better to get a boyfriend when there are non-crap dudes around. I do understand, though. Sometimes, everybody cries etc. You are plenty lovely, though, so I'd be most surprised if it's not a case of no-one being good enough for you, and I mean that in a good way.

I'm living the free life (read: lassless) myself right now, and while the tears they do come, they do not come often. Sure, I know plenty of awesome ladies, but right now I'm crossing my fingers for a girl who loves Irish folk music and punk rock as much as I do, while also being keenly intelligent when it comes to movies, literature, history and politics. Hell, why not an interest in Achewood, too? Being able to play Talking Heads songs on keyboard so I can finally assemble that damn tribute band, why not? Not to mention being passionate, witty yet caring and sensitive! Ooh, and she should have all the attitude of the Wilson sisters and Debbie Harry's child. Etc.

Sigh.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:28:13 am »

I'm crossing my fingers for a girl who loves Irish folk music and punk rock as much as I do

I don't intend to put down your taste, J, but that's actually the problem I have with a number of ladies.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 12:30:49 am »

I don't intend to put down your taste, J, but that's actually the problem I have with a number of ladies.

As long as it is clear that 'punk rock' here does definitely not mean Green Day.

If that is the case, I am more than happy to accept these ladies you so foolishly shun!

(Okay, maybe my tastes are a little odd)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 06:14:29 am »

Linnea I know you are not creepy, I was just imagining what your kitties would think waking up with you looming over them with a stethoscope.

As for the SO-lessness aspect of the post (which I completely ignored last time) don't let it get to you, I guess it might more noticable in a small town where everybody knows crazy old spinster linnea but just grabbin a fella for the sake of it is a one way ticket to bad times. But you know all this, the point is that we know you are cool with only your kitties so if anyone gives you flack just say 'People on the internet like me' and they'll just have to shut right up.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 06:25:09 am »

What's that blue thing doing here?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 06:49:44 am »

What's that blue thing doing here?

Blue? I must be missing something...
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 02:41:30 pm »

Hey now everybody, now hey now everybody, hey now everybody now.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Alone, all alone (feeling sorry for myself thread)
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 03:54:27 pm »

Humph.  I have no idea.  Reference to something us ladies do not know I suppose.  I chose to believe that jough is courting you.  That is what I believe.  He did say he was moving somewhere TBA on Monday after all.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up