Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Good riddance, Joe Torre.  (Read 5849 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 12:36:55 am »

I supported the Mets this whole series (by not rooting against them) but HERE I DRAW THE LINE.  I don't root for no team whose fans wave towels like they just stripped them off their waists in the gym showers.  Detriot, St. Lou, and Mets fans can wipe my ass with their corny-ass towels.
Logged
ACHIEVE

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 12:59:37 am »

You forgot Da Stihlers and their Terrible Towels
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 04:57:55 am »

Well, of course!  They're the worst of them all.  They should move the World Series there and they can all wave them like they have Parkinson's.






Man though, today though. . .  By the end of game, it seemed like I pretty much was rooting for the Mets.  Shea settled down with the towels, and they impressed me in a few situations.  But Suppan really took that game for himself, when he faced Valentin with them loaded one out, and whipped out those two curves that fell off the face of the fuckin' earth, he waited the entire game to whip that pitch out, every other breaking ball was those tight little ones.  He really lit that at bat up, man, damn.

Besides for pinch hitting Floyd, Wille had a pretty good series.  Minaya, a bad year; I'd've traded Milledge and anyone for D-Train.

I watched the game with basically a room full of Mets fans, just one other Yankees dude, and it seemed like I was more for the Mets than the rest of the room.  Perhaps I simply drank more, and was more boisterous, but. . . I dunno what got into me.  I guess I just didn't want a Series in those towel slappin' parks.
Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 09:48:33 am »

I like the Mets players but I am not necissarily a Mets fan.  Well, I am not.  I am a Red Sox fan, but we both hate the Yankees.  Anyhow, my roommate is a huge Mets fan and a huge asshole, so I was rooting fdor the Cardinals because I didn't want to hear about how the Mets were the best team of history (that is the tyoe of guy he is).  Anyhow, the point of this is to say that I cheered about 10x harder than him after that sweet, sweet catch, and, by the end of the game, I was completly going for the Mets.  I am really drunk now and it is 4:48 am, sorry about the bad sentences and whatnot.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 06:47:40 am »

Quote from: *****_god
I watched the game with basically a room full of Mets fans, just one other Yankees dude, and it seemed like I was more for the Mets than the rest of the room.  Perhaps I simply drank more, and was more boisterous, but. . . I dunno what got into me.

The Mets fans, we aren't many to count chickens before they hatch, y'see.

Until the 27th out, in our minds, something can still go wrong... and probably will.

Had Milledge or Franco, say, cranked a homerun instead of Floyd looking like a guy who should've retired two years ago... then... and only then... you would've seen some full-on record breaking boisterousness.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 08:06:19 pm »

That's exactly the problem, and the basic reason I became a Yankee fan instead of Met fan.  Yanks are down four runs in the seventh?  I know they're gonna win, and if not, I'm genuinely surprised.  Mets are up 3 runs in the ninth?  I can look into a fan's soul and see this sliver of hope that the game is blown.

It's like Mets fans actually want their team to lose.  They want to just lose, let loose, and thrash the team, like whipping boys.  They're masochists.  They're sick, sick people.




Maybe they're partly right though.  I wasn't cognitive during their last championship, but look at what happened to those Red Sox: you have a team that defines themselves on losing, they win, and they really lose a big part of their identity.  Their sick, masochistic identity.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 08:16:07 pm »

There is a difference between a Red Sox fan and a Mets fan, though. A big one.

A Red Sox fan KNOWS they're going to lose. Revels in being up on that cross. Doesn't know how to deal with the idea of winning because they'd never done it before and... probably won't do it again for a long time.

The Mets fan doesn't not KNOW he will lose, it is simply that he doesn't not have the capacity to KNOW the Mets will win. The Mets fan has known triumph, here and there, in '69 and in '86, in lesser degrees in-between... and has also known heartbreak... and has also known what it is to be in-between those for long stretches.

To the Mets fan, it is not over until it is over. In all the good ways that the Red Sox fan can sometimes not be prepared for... but also in all the bad ways that the Yankees fan can sometimes not be prepared for.

The Mets fan's path is the Buddah's Middle Path of baseball and... it's often the most balanced and therefore richest way of looking upon the game, in my humble opinion.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 12:18:51 am »

You make an excellent point.

Most of the fans I argue with regularly are also too young to truly have experienced Mets' success.  To me, they are very similar to  Sox fans, except for the fact that they made the choice actively.  My friends became fans when the Mets were at their worst.

But I dunno if I'd call them the humble middle path.  They are the richest team in the NL.  Middle path, I would say Marlins.  Except they embezzle.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 03:00:28 am »

That's exactly the problem, and the basic reason I became a Yankee fan instead of Met fan.  Yanks are down four runs in the seventh?  I know they're gonna win, and if not, I'm genuinely surprised.  Mets are up 3 runs in the ninth?  I can look into a fan's soul and see this sliver of hope that the game is blown.

it was a Yankee who said "It ain't over till it's over."

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 08:43:56 pm »

it was a Yankee who said "It ain't over till it's over."

Yeah, but that was back in the dreamtime, when the Yankees were classy.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 09:41:59 pm »

Quote from: V-Adore
Yeah, but that was back in the dreamtime, when the Yankees were classy.

Said it better than I could.

I would lay it out there that the Yankees became a megalith of lame only after the Steinbrenner purchase.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 12:47:59 am »

In all fairness, I think Yogi was probably talking about the possiblility of coming back from behind, rather than the possiblity of blowing it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 04:46:40 am »

Yeah, but that was back in the dreamtime, when the Yankees were classy.

No way, they're just as classy now as ever.

If someone disagrees with this, then I'd like them to tell me the team they think are classier.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 06:08:21 pm »

There is no class anywhere in sports.  It's a huge shithole.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Good riddance, Joe Torre.
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 07:15:05 pm »

No way, they're just as classy now as ever.

If someone disagrees with this, then I'd like them to tell me the team they think are classier.

As Paul said, my personal belief is that the era of Yogi was just a classier time in sports. The classlessness of other teams does not imply that the Yankees are classy by definition; this is not graded on a curve.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up