Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 100081 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #345 on: July 10, 2007, 04:19:19 am »

John Lee Hooker.  That shit is awesome.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #346 on: July 10, 2007, 09:39:29 am »

What, and miss the sermon?  What's the matter with you?!?

I'm certainly not advocating starting it halfway through. I just always used to tune in around Ray's music shop so for me Blues Brothers was always Raw Hide car chase scene and Minnie the Moocher.
This configuration does not shirk in the entertainment department I can assure you.

But I always did wonder where the illinois nazis fit into it and the first half of the movie has Elwood's apartment building which I love so it's much better to watch it right.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #347 on: April 06, 2008, 01:46:28 am »

OK, we just saw Hot Fuzz, by the same writer and director as Shaun of the Dead. It was really good. It was even almost not too long even though it was two hours.

So why didn't any of you tell me about this one???
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2008, 01:56:19 am »

Hot fuzz assumes a lot of knowledge of genre movies to appreciate some of the jokes. We didn't want to throw you in the deep end.

While you're watching thier stuff though you might want to check out the TV series 'Spaced' and more recently 'Hyperdrive'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #349 on: April 06, 2008, 02:08:40 am »

I'm sure there's stuff we missed by not being more familiar with some kinds of movies. There was even stuff that the reviewers missed - almost none of them that I read mentioned that the whole plot is basically that sort of English horror story, like The Wicker Man, about the small town that's uncongenial to outsiders for some deep and sinister reason.  So there must be many levels of movie-buff stuff, but also a lot of it is obvious enough that it doesn't matter.

And the thing is, it's really well done aside from that. I mean, like having the missing swan come back and be crucial at almost the very end - that's a thing of beauty.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2008, 02:27:40 am »

Really I was joking, it is basically unforgivable that we didn't tell you about hot fuzz.

Though I swear I was the only perosn in the theatre who laughed (embarassingly loudly) at 'Forget it Nicholas, it's Sandford.'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2008, 07:01:07 am »

yeah. yeah.

I try to work in "Forget it, kid, it's (city)" all the time, and it never works very well.

That, and saying "I'm going to marry my daughter and found the purest dynasty the earth has ever seen."
Except, that one actually works quite well.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #352 on: April 06, 2008, 07:43:51 am »

I could probably spend a whole day communicating only in "Chinatown" references.

Oh man, The Venture Brothers pulled a great one when Brock Sampson discovered that his Nick Fury/Hunter Thompson dual-parody mentor had a sex change.

"Don't think of him any differently, Brock, he used to be like your father, now he's just like your mother..."

SMACK!

"He's your father!"

SMACK!

"He's your mother!"

SMACK!

"H...he's your mother and your father!"

I nearly died laughing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2008, 03:04:30 pm »

I just went through this whole thread and added a bunch of moves to my queue, because I'm culturally retarded.  At least, in the sense of not catching 98% of all movie references.  And my reluctance to watch any movies, ever, is starting to take a toll on Pedro's ability to converse with others.  Basically everything I know about movies comes from having seen the first ten seasons of The Simpsons and having Pedro explain the jokes to me, so more suggestions are welcome. 

We saw Hero the other day, and here is my review.  It had a weak narrative frame which served only to tie together the "action" scenes, which featured various combinations of the same few characters performing highly unlikely physical feats.  In other words, it was porn, but with fighting in place of sex. 

Watch this movie with that concept in mind and it is pretty entertaining.  We watched it in 2 sessions because of children and lack of sleep.  Usually I am the kind of person who hates to stop in the middle of a movie or TV show -- part of the reason I don't like sitting down to a movie in the first place, because it feels like a big investment to me.  But splitting up this movie did not seem to have a detrimental effect on the film's continuity, which is perhaps a testament to its "popcorn" quality. 

Next up: Boys Don't Cry.  This one was my pick, and Pedro gets the next choice after this.  We doin' this. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2008, 03:47:12 pm »

In other words, it was porn, but with fighting in place of sex. 

Yeah but didn't you think it was really beautiful porn? Like porn that reminded you what primary colours looked like?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2008, 04:09:20 pm »

It was neat.  But I knitted through most of it without feeling like I was missing much. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2008, 04:11:32 pm »

Lately when I'm bored at work I've started reading Wikipedia summaries of movies and books that I know I'll never get around to actually seeing/reading myself. So far today: Psycho, The Silence of the Lambs, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (all loosely based on the same guy), and The Maltese Falcon.

Needless to say I don't get the full effect of reading the book. For example I still don't get references to "putting the lotion on its skin" or however it goes.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2008, 04:40:58 pm »

Oh!  I know this one! 

Buffalo Bill kidnaps chubby women and puts them in a deep pit so that he can starve them until their skin is loose and then skin them to make women suits.  He dehumanizes them by referring to them as "it" in all his interactions with them.  He makes them put lotion on their skin while they starve to keep their skin supple (and presumable easier to remove and work with after removal) even as their bodies dehydrate.  These factors combine to form a supremely creepy scene where Bill lowers a bottle of lotion into the pit and commands the woman inside, "It puts lotion on its skin."  She *SPOILER* defies him and manages to distract him enough to somehow get his little dog into the pit with her, which she threatens to kill, throwing Bill into a panic.  This derails his plans just enough to delay her murder and allow her rescue.

This was one of the movies I watched last time I tried this. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2008, 04:52:53 pm »

Lately when I'm bored at work I've started reading Wikipedia summaries of movies and books that I know I'll never get around to actually seeing/reading myself. So far today: Psycho, The Silence of the Lambs, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (all loosely based on the same guy), and The Maltese Falcon.

Huh, I've seen all of those and they should be at the top of your must see list*.  Especially Psycho.


*Well maybe not Texas Chainsaw Massacre so much.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:18 pm »

I will never watch any of those, as anything gory/scary/gross/disturbing, I don't want to see. I'm a wuss. My wife is so disappointed in me for this.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35   Go Up