Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99878 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #405 on: December 30, 2009, 04:40:34 am »

do you write for a living?

Watch him talk about Huey Lewis and the News before he kills you.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #406 on: December 30, 2009, 05:13:48 am »

Good review, except you mentioned Sean Bean as being 'of LoTR fame' which does the great man a massive disservice I cannot brook.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #407 on: December 30, 2009, 05:54:16 am »

Good review, except you mentioned Sean Bean as being 'of LoTR fame' which does the great man a massive disservice I cannot brook.

maybe as far as he is concerned, thats what sean bean is famous for?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2009, 10:54:21 am »

greenkoolaid, no, I translate boring shit for a living; also, yes, my bad on the 'LoTR' thing - but wasn't this at least the biggest movie he's been in? I seem to remember Sean bean vaguely from an assortment of action flicks, too, but nothing more vivid comes to mind...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #409 on: December 30, 2009, 01:27:21 pm »

Ha sorry I was being flippant, that is indeed probably the only thing he has ever done that's registered on an international scale.

He's a bit of a famous son of Sheffield though and we like to pretend he is a lot better than he really is.

"(Whilst filming Lord of the Rings) he was reluctant to take the helicopters out to remote mountain locations while filming for The Fellowship of the Ring. After a particularly rough ride, he vowed not to fly to a location again. In one instance, he chose to take a ski lift into the mountains and then hike the final few miles, all in full costume." That is pure Yorkshireman right there.

Sorry dejavroom, continue with your excellent motion picture assessments.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #410 on: January 04, 2010, 04:46:00 am »

I like The Apartment a lot.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #411 on: January 04, 2010, 05:22:31 am »

I will be watching "An American Werewolf in Paris" with my love soon.  Is it very scary?  I don't want to read anything about it so as to not spoil the drama/suspense.  I get disturbed by movies that are too horrifying, with "Blair Witch"being about the dividing line between "okay for Jennifer's brain" and "will haunt my waking and sleeping moments for months".  (Specifically, all of BW was fine 'til the final scene, which stills sits unwell with me.)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #412 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:20 am »

I will be watching "An American Werewolf in Paris" with my love soon.

not scary at all.  cheese-y.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #413 on: January 24, 2010, 02:48:39 am »

I am finally watching District 9. It is very, very interesting so far, a little more than half way through. I have been waiting for it to disappoint me and I think it might have just started.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #414 on: January 24, 2010, 04:18:02 am »

I got that movie for christmas, my roommate and I are going to watch it eventually.

Humpday was disappointing. There is a certain category of movies that my roommate loves that I do not like, and this is one of those. He got mad at me for saying I didn't get why these guys felt the need to fuck each other.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #415 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18:58 am »

On the one hand, D9 is a very good movie.

On the other hand, I have not appreciated the months of nightmares about transforming into an alien creature.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2010, 05:21:13 am »

I am finally watching District 9. It is very, very interesting so far, a little more than half way through. I have been waiting for it to disappoint me and I think it might have just started.

A film of two halves to be sure but I enjoyed both. The switch from faux-documentary social study to man-on-a-mission action film went smoothly for me and perfectly reflects the situation of the character. Normality, everyday life to uncertain chaos etc.

Only thing that I really didn't like was that the main character sounds like a scouser whenever he does a swear.

FOOCKIN CRAYYYCHURS MAN LA
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #417 on: January 24, 2010, 05:23:03 am »

apparently my good friend's girlfriend has a "scouse" accent. I am excited to hear it.

also, this is the Baader-Meinhopf effect, because I had never heard the word Scouse until yesterday.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #418 on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:00 am »

apparently my good friend's girlfriend has a "scouse" accent. I am excited to hear it.

also, this is the Baader-Meinhopf effect, because I had never heard the word Scouse until yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRCp8lId2k8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaTTVR2JXY&feature=related

Truly a beautiful accent

It's very good on women in certain circumstances

EDIT: Sheffield accent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWvImeSsaM
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:00:10 am by Drygioni »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #419 on: January 24, 2010, 02:38:21 pm »

A film of two halves to be sure but I enjoyed both. The switch from faux-documentary social study to man-on-a-mission action film went smoothly for me and perfectly reflects the situation of the character. Normality, everyday life to uncertain chaos etc.

The problem for me wasn't just that it went from a movie about an average man in an extraordinary situation, to basically a cheap video game with guns and blood and *****s. It was that the last half hour depended on a completely implausible and idiotic action on the part of the main character, when he turned on the only person who had the means to help him. And there had really been enough shooting and blood and guts and chasing immediately before that to satisfy anyone, so why was that neccessary?

But then the very end was surprisingly satisfying, when that was something that it would have been so easy to screw up. It's a complete mystery to me how they could do everything else so well and yet think they needed the half hour immediately preceding the end to be part of this movie.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35   Go Up