Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99973 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #435 on: February 06, 2010, 12:02:10 am »

The Road.

Mega good.

thats the one with viggo mortensen(sp?), right?  its in my netflix qway.  your good review makes me a little more jazzed to see it.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #436 on: February 06, 2010, 02:27:29 am »

thats the one with viggo mortensen(sp?), right?  its in my netflix qway.  your good review makes me a little more jazzed to see it.

In that case I will expand.

The Road is a story that is by equal measures haunting and horrifying, yet Hillcoat's superb direction provides a film that is also gripping, enjoyable and curiously uplifting. Throughout the film I was consistently amazed by the stark beauty the film-makers had provided for the post-apocalyptic landscape; everything was perfectly executed, from sweeping vistas of ash-covered plains to the claustrophobic confines of petrified forests.

The acting is uniformly impressive, Mortensen his phlegmatic best as 'The Man'. Kodi Smit-McPhee puts in a convincing turn as his son and companion, with the chemistry between the two continually heart-warming despite their desperate surroundings. Every character in this film is given great character, oozing humanity whether it be of the most civilised or brutal kinds.

Perhaps the greatest triumph of the film for me was the way it has seemingly stayed faithful to the source material and avoided the pitfalls of some recent dystopian works, namely too much of a focus on WHY the characters find themselves in this situation, much to the detriment of the story. Children of Men, another film I loved, features worldwide sterility, yet rarely concerns itself with WHY this has happened much to the advancement of the story; instead, all that matters is the central characters and their situation, with the world merely a backdrop and indeed obstacle to their efforts. The Road goes one step further, removing all explanation as to why the world is the way it is. All that matters is the coming-of-age story, with the 'Road' the father is leading his son on more than just a practical journey. The unrelenting brutality of their world is tempered with the beauty of their relationship and I'm shocked it wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

Basically I liked it LOADS and you should watch it and say what you thought.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #437 on: February 06, 2010, 02:35:55 am »

that is a beautiful piece of writing.  you have my respect.  and a can.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #438 on: February 06, 2010, 03:10:54 am »

Looking For Eric is a curious specimen. Like many young men, I was initially drawn to the film by the presence of legendary French footballer Eric Cantona in the cast; the quintessential flawed sporting genius, a confident, powerful presence on the pitch and great player who nonetheless was a self-styled philosopher tormented with his own demons. Indeed, for all the beauty of his play on the field, termed by the man himself 'gifts' to the Manchester United fans who adore him still, it is instead his 9 month ban for kicking a goading spectator that sticks in the mind of many to this day.

It is perhaps fitting of Cantona, then, that this film is initially enigmatic. Namesake postman and Manchester United fan Eric Bishop is introduced to us driving the wrong side of the road, in the midst of a mental breakdown, and we are unaware as to where his life is going, as is he. In his desperation, it's up to his friends and estranged family to aid him, helped of course by the hallucinatory presence and Francophone philosophisations of his idol Eric Cantona to aid him.

This film was fuck*ng great. Director Ken Loach and actor Steve Evet give Eric Bishop incredible intensity, and every scene hammers home the impression of a defeated man superbly; his subsequent attempt to mend the errors of his past to correct his future fits the character seamlessly and believably. Cantona gives an incredible turn as his mentor and confidant, and displays his usual imperious self; nevertheless, he brings a real compassion and quiet wisdom to the role that is present in all the great cinema mentors. His turn in the film, whilst relatively low-key, is very well implemented and he perfectly provides a human representation of the postman Eric's inner consciousness. Looking for Eric, indeed.

The humour of the film throughout is well done, rarely out-of-place but very British; think Billy Elliot, which seamlessly blended humour with very real and serious issues in a gritty Northern fashion and you're not far off. The slightly farcical (in the best sense of the word) ending has divided some critics but I enjoyed it, feeling that it fitted the tone of the film and the progression of the character. Perhaps not the most subtle of film-making but nonetheless satisfying for it.

At heart, the film is a tribute to the power of solidarity and realising the basic ethical goodness of those around you, conducted in a manner which is beguiling and by turns dark, uplifting and humorous. Much like Cantona himself then, Looking For Eric is a philosophical treatise trapped in a delightfully uncomplicated, skilful and confident body that you probably couldn't fail to love.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #439 on: February 06, 2010, 03:15:13 am »

Quote from: Drygioni
the presence of legendary French footballer soccer player Eric Cantona

Fix'd.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2010, 03:20:43 am »

that is a beautiful piece of writing.  you have my respect.  and a can.



Fix'd.

I am so wound up right now.

MODS I REQUEST A CHANGING OF THE WORD 'SOCCER' TO 'FOOTBALL' IN ALL INSTANCES ON THIS BOARD VIA FILTERS. I ALSO REQUEST THE CHANGING OF THE WORDS 'AMERICAN FOOTBALL' TO 'EGGCHASING' VIA FILTERS. IN ALL INSTANCES.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #441 on: February 06, 2010, 04:40:18 am »

When I have asked this question this is the only answer people have ever given - the explanation of why soccer is a good sport for children.

That doesn't really explain what I am asking. Which is where the hell did it come from? How did someone think of it? Who was watching a bunch of drunken Englishmen beat each other up (Sorry Judy but that is my mental image of the sport) and said "That would be great for eight year olds"?  Is there one person who had this idea who we should hold responsible?

when that pele dude became famous, the futbol people capitalized on it.  its the same thing as every other thing in america.  the white people stole it from brown people.


also, movies:

keane-

"After losing his daughter in a Port Authority bus terminal, distraught New York father William Keane (Damian Lewis) befriends Lynn Bedik (Amy Ryan) and her 7-year-old daughter, Kira (Abigail Breslin) -- but can he really be trusted? Keane uses alcohol and drugs to numb his pain, but Kira helps him break through his haze and open his heart to new possibilities. There's just one catch: Keane's daughter may have never existed at all." <----- thats the netflix breakdown.

at first it made me too uncomfortable to watch it the whole way through. after an hour, i stopped.  then, a few days later i went back and finished it.  i just couldnt get it out of my head. i had to know how it ended.  it creeped me out.  the camera is on this guy almost the whole movie and it puts you in his head. can you imagine being inside the head of someone suffering from schizophrenia?  its hard to watch him have a breakdown every day, then drink and snort coke every night. plus, at the end, youre all like, "i want to know what happens next!"
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #442 on: February 06, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »

Football/Soccer stuff split to here:

http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5482.0.html
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #443 on: February 06, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »

MODS I REQUEST A CHANGING OF THE WORD 'SOCCER' TO 'FOOTBALL' IN ALL INSTANCES ON THIS BOARD VIA FILTERS. I ALSO REQUEST THE CHANGING OF THE WORDS 'AMERICAN FOOTBALL' TO 'EGGCHASING' VIA FILTERS. IN ALL INSTANCES.

Pay no mind to LFM, Drygioni, he's LFM that way. A visit to the encyclopedic knowledge might shed a light on how to treat a subject like this. Wikipedia's "Football" entry reads: "Football is the name of several similar team sports, all of which involve (to varying degrees) kicking a ball with the foot in an attempt to score a goal."

There, see? (I totally support placing a filter to change american football to eggchasing, though).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:40:12 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #444 on: February 11, 2010, 03:06:24 am »

eskalofrio-

made in spain.  the main character is a high-school aged boy with extreme photosensitivity.  he lives alone with his mother and attends night school.  the kids there are dicks and hes a loner.  they move to an old farm-y country town and things start getting bad.  a sheep is found gutted and a kid is found dead, his throat ripped out and blood all or partially consumed, within the first week or two.  the idea for the 'protagonist' is interesting and its a good thriller.  for me, the only downfall is that i dont understand castellano and its kind of tough to read the subtitles and follow the action at the same time.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #445 on: February 15, 2010, 06:56:05 am »

I saw Broken Embraces, Pedro Almodóvar's most recent, tonight. I loved it, every bit, but also really like Almodóvar. Worth checking out. I won't describe the plot.

From netflix, recently saw 25th Hour and Dead Again. Both have been around for ever but have escaped my notice. Well, I knew about 25th Hour but next to nothing about it. The AV Club listed it as the second best movie of last decade, so I thought it would be worth checking out. Some of the negative criticism directed toward the movie I've read is either that it's an allegory by America-hating Spike Lee, or that it's boring. Filmed in the near immediate aftermath of the events of 9/11, some of the opening shots are of the Tribute in Light. The protagonist deserves his prison sentence, and America deserved 9/11. Admittedly I'm dense, but I didn't get that at all. And it's definitely not boring. Slow, maybe, but captivating. I could see myself watching it again sometime down the road. Anyone else seen it and have any thoughts?

Dead Again is a noir-ish detective story directed by Kenneth Branagh. I'm a sucker for that stuff, so I'm biased. It was one of those netflix suggestions. I liked it quite a bit, but it's probably not worth a repeat viewing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #446 on: February 15, 2010, 07:06:49 am »

man, I think I just don't like Woody Allen at all.

I really want to think he is funny, but he does not make me laugh, treats women badly, and makes the same jokes in every movie. Fuck that noise.

my date did not appreciate my thoughts, and informed me that Woody Allen is one of her favorite directors.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #447 on: February 15, 2010, 07:11:46 am »

I really like Manhattan, Annie Hall, Crimes and Misdemeanors and Zelig. And I enjoyed Match Point as well. The rest of his work that I've seen I could take or leave. Zelig is the only one that really made me laugh, though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #448 on: February 15, 2010, 07:21:02 am »

My vote against Woody Allen too, except for his early strictly-funny stuff.

Everything else, he comes off as a dick begging everyone to tell him he's better than you are because he can name philosophers.

Or that older-than-the-other-grad-assistants-creepy-grad-assistant who tries to fuck freshman girls by impressing them with... how many philosophers he can name.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #449 on: February 15, 2010, 07:23:17 am »

this was Sleeper, which I guess is one of the early ones.

There was one scene where he did something that reminded me of Charlie Chaplin, which made me laugh. But the rest, no laughs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35   Go Up