Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99820 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #450 on: February 15, 2010, 08:00:09 am »

Everything else, he comes off as a dick begging everyone to tell him he's better than you are because he can name philosophers.
I've only really seen Annie Hall, but isn't most of the joke that he is educated and so on but still completely socially inept?

I saw 25th hour at a free screening my first week at uni (7 years ago people, wtf?), I think it the perfect movie to start going to uni to: slightly alternative, angry and with sex and drugs.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #451 on: February 15, 2010, 08:03:19 am »

I'm certain I've mentioned here that "Annie Hall" is the only movie I've fallen asleep during when I was actively trying to watch it, yeah?

It's one of my Mike Stock Facts (TM).
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #452 on: February 15, 2010, 01:41:19 pm »

man, I think I just don't like Woody Allen at all.

I really want to think he is funny, but he does not make me laugh, treats women badly, and makes the same jokes in every movie. Fuck that noise.

my date did not appreciate my thoughts, and informed me that Woody Allen is one of her favorite directors.

Manhattan is a superb film for many reasons, but I'm not turned on by every bit of his stuff.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #453 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:54 pm »

I really like that opening sequence.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #454 on: February 15, 2010, 05:38:35 pm »

In The Loop

The Thick Of It was one of the great British sitcoms of the past few years; a delightfully sweary, horrifyingly accurate portrayal of Westminster's collection of dishonest spinners, inept handwashers and wet-behind-the-ears Oxbridge graduates. However, the true genius of the show lay in the excellent script and in Peter Capaldi's Malcolm Tucker, a delightfully foul-mouthed Scotsman whose fine blend of Machiavellian nous and terrifying aggression made him one of my favourite comedy characters, full stop.

It was with some excitement then that I watched In The Loop, a cross-Atlantic political film inspired by the series, with much of the writing staff and actors from the original The Thick Of It involved. Naturally, there was some apprehension. Film adaptations of comedies are notoriously hit-and-miss: can the film keep up the high standards of comedy when the writers are used to episode length material? Will the formula become tired over two hours? Most importantly, will the characters and situations be as engaging as a film demands to make it interesting and watchable?

Happily, In The Loop manages to overcome the challenges above whilst using the medium of the cinema to provide something different. Although not deviating massively from the formula of the TV series, the change of location to partly include Washington is a welcome and crucial move. The fairly topical plot (US politician wants war in Middle East; backstabbing, maneouvering and tears follow) is simple but believable and a whole lot is made of it. In correspondence with this most cynical of stories, the production is decidedly anti-West Wing; all traces of boombasticity and pomp are removed, exposing the political worlds of London and Washington as underhanded dens of iniquity ruled by the swift and uncompromising. Barack Obama, and most politicians for that matter, would not be impressed.

Being a political comedy/drama, it is the script where the film must shine and it does so brilliantly. The inventive swearing is gratuitous but never gratingly so; it is generally refreshing to watch a film where swearing is a comedic device but never to the extent it seems forced. The script also excels in propelling the plot, with the relatively dry subject material never short of engrossing and completely realistic. The real star of the film is Capaldi's Malcolm Tucker, who makes any scene his own and genuinely inspires fear in everyone he meets. This is not to discredit the other characters, with Tom Hollander excellent as the hapless MP inadvertently swept along in events due to an off-hand remark; the return of Chris Addison as his bumbling assistant and James Smith as his Conservative opposite number are very much welcome. James Gandolfini, David Rasche and Mimi Kennedy also are well cast, seamlessly playing their American counterparts and providing familiar stereotypes whilst also producing characters who are genuinely interesting and never bit-part. Watch out for Steve Coogan's belly-laugh inducing cameo as a disgruntled 'member of the public'.

To summarise, there are no major weaknesses to this film. Every line is well written and delivered by a good cast, the plot is spot-on and it's a refreshing antidote to the tiresome spin thrust upon us every day by those in Government. As comedies go, it is smarter than the majority but nonetheless accessible if you just want to laugh at some of the best swearing this side of (removed as I could not think of anything which has as good swearing as this).

I hope you watch and enjoy.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #455 on: February 15, 2010, 05:43:44 pm »

This is like 4 movies down on my netflix queue. I may have to bump it up! I missed it on the big screen because a lot of movies here in Salt Lake tend to have short runs. But I've really been looking forward to it. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

The inventive swearing is gratuitous but never gratingly so; it is generally refreshing to watch a film where swearing is a comedic device but never to the extent it seems forced.

I was already sold, but who doesn't love some creative cussing?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #456 on: February 15, 2010, 05:46:52 pm »

This is like 4 movies down on my netflix queue. I may have to bump it up! I missed it on the big screen because a lot of movies here in Salt Lake tend to have short runs. But I've really been looking forward to it. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

I was already sold, but who doesn't love some creative cussing?

If you love creative cussing you will spaff in your ##### at this film
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #457 on: February 25, 2010, 01:50:47 pm »

So In the Loop is great. Best swear: "F, star, star, cunt" F**cunt. That could be a good filter.

The deleted scenes are worth watching, almost as enjoyable as the entire movie.

Fuckity bye!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #458 on: February 25, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »

I'm glad you liked it!

Can't be bothered to do a review

But watch 'Where The Wild Things Are'
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #459 on: February 25, 2010, 05:13:21 pm »

Yeah, that movie choked me up a little bit.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #460 on: February 25, 2010, 05:51:34 pm »

im going to to watch dead snow tonight on insta-netflix when i get home from class.  its going to be stupidfun.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #461 on: February 25, 2010, 11:37:53 pm »

I watched Anvil! The Story of Anvil last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. 5 parts Spinal Tap, 1 part The Wrestler, it is a documentary about an old school Canadian metal band who never made it big despite heavily influencing Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, etc. 30 years later and they are still at it, gearing up to record their 13th album.

The similarities to Spinal Tap are really uncanny. Fortunately the director doesn't use this as an opportunity to mock these guys but instead shows you the humanity of the band members. I would definitely recommend this even if you aren't into metal at all.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #462 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:41 am »

I guess I didn't need to see it to know this, but LFM's understanding of It's a Wonderful Life is not at all the way I understood it at all. It is kind of warped and depressing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #463 on: February 26, 2010, 03:39:45 am »

im going to to watch dead snow tonight on insta-netflix when i get home from class.  its going to be stupidfun.

Any movie whose tagline is "Ein, Zwei, Die!" has my vote.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #464 on: February 26, 2010, 03:46:00 am »

Is Primer a movie most of you have seen, or is it not a thing? Because it seriously fucked with my head.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35   Go Up