Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99788 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #465 on: February 26, 2010, 03:56:52 am »

i don't understand the primer situation. i've seen it, and i turned it off pissed and disappointed. either it lost me or doesn't actually even make any sense, and i didn't enjoy it enough to watch it again. but i wouldn't say it fucked with my head.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #466 on: February 26, 2010, 04:10:58 am »

Is Primer a movie most of you have seen, or is it not a thing? Because it seriously fucked with my head.

I saw it and really enjoyed it but it was about 3 years ago so I'm pretty hazy at this point.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #467 on: February 26, 2010, 04:26:41 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
LFM's understanding of It's a Wonderful Life is not at all the way I understood it at all.

It is okay, Dan. Wisdom this strong takes time. You may get there yet.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #468 on: February 26, 2010, 04:43:32 am »

It is okay, Dan. Wisdom this strong takes time. You may get there yet.

Unless you're careful.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #469 on: February 26, 2010, 06:32:24 am »

Primer is one of the few movies (in fact basically the only movie) that I watched again immediately after it had finished. I really enjoyed it but puzzles in movies is something I tend to enjoy even if the rest of the movie is sub-par (though I don't think Primer was).
Some movies are difficult to follow because they are badly made, Primer is not one of those movies, the people who made it knew exactly what they were doing and I love them for it.
I accept my views are not universally held though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #470 on: February 26, 2010, 07:51:04 am »

Primer is one of the few movies (in fact basically the only movie) that I watched again immediately after it had finished. I really enjoyed it but puzzles in movies is something I tend to enjoy even if the rest of the movie is sub-par (though I don't think Primer was).
Some movies are difficult to follow because they are badly made, Primer is not one of those movies, the people who made it knew exactly what they were doing and I love them for it.
I accept my views are not universally held though.

a great movie.  i appreciate it even more because there is lots of talking and not so much karate or explosions or titties, but it is still entertaining and cool.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #471 on: February 26, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »

I watched Anvil! The Story of Anvil last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. 5 parts Spinal Tap, 1 part The Wrestler, it is a documentary about an old school Canadian metal band who never made it big despite heavily influencing Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, etc. 30 years later and they are still at it, gearing up to record their 13th album.

The similarities to Spinal Tap are really uncanny. Fortunately the director doesn't use this as an opportunity to mock these guys but instead shows you the humanity of the band members. I would definitely recommend this even if you aren't into metal at all.

Absolutely fantastic film.

I'm not a metal fan but that doesn't even matter, they were fantastic guys and the film was superbly paced and made with real warmth. The ending was  :o life imitates art

WATCH IT
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2010, 04:17:48 am »

fantastic mr fox.  its way good.  it seems meant for 8 or 10 year olds, but you will dig it.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2010, 04:27:33 am »

I watched Public Enemies yesterday and Hoop Dreams today.  Hell of Chicago.

Public Enemies was awful, Hoop Dreams is soo good.  You probably don't even need to like basketball (I kinda do), as long as you like getting a great picture of a time and a place.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2010, 04:46:02 am »

Public Enemies was awful

i disagree, but it was other than cool or exceptional.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #475 on: May 10, 2010, 04:44:06 am »

There are many times in a man's life when he realises that a one-time, universal yet life-changing occurrence crops up. It could be an epiphany, a moment of great realisation, where the events of the past and the direction of the future finally unmuddy themselves to provide crystal-clear guidance to the desperate or lost. Other times, it can be something as simple as the gut-wrenching moment you find that first grey hair in your sideburns or pubes. In this case, however, I have something far less welcome even than the grey pube; I have found what I believe to be my least favourite movie ever.

Ladies and gentlemen, that movie is Undisputed.

It sounds promising enough. Although the plot is simple, a seeming throwback to the early '90s (something that never bodes well for a film produced in 2002), it is pleasingly familiar, being a boxing-cum-prison drama where badboy world champion boxer George "Iceman" Chambers is sent to prison, whereupon friction with the current undefeated prison boxing champion Monroe Hutchen inevitably ensues. Easy enough, you may think, and all the ingredients are there for your classic underdog drama. World champion Iceman turns out to be an arrogant bully and thug, determined to beat seven shades of shit out of the slighter, mild-mannered (he even makes matchstick sculptures!) Hutchen in order to stamp his authority on the inmates he sees as beneath him; it is up to crowd favourite Hutchen to take him down a peg. The rest of the film only needs to flesh out the characters, get some tasty build-up scenes in, maybe a bit of prison violence, before culminating in a set-piece epic finish which is the true hallmark of a great boxing movie.

Unfortunately for my still-bleeding eyes, Undisputed fails on nearly every level as a film that is either interesting, entertaining or watchable. For starters, the characters possess the unenviable traits of being both instantly recognisable stereotypes and extremely hard to feel any kind of connection with. Iceman is so close to the vanilla 'Boxing Thug' it's tiresome; endlessly aggressive, remorselessly truculent, any layer of subtlety that would make the character a shade more interesting is lost in the constant angry shouting and violence that fills the screen upon his every appearance. The fact he is sent to prison for raping a woman could be the background for an interesting subplot, leaving the audience to judge whether or not he is in fact guilty, but it never progresses beyond him denying the charges in disgustingly macho style. Washington's Hutchen is no better, falling squarely into the category marked 'Badass Bookworm'; yet, far from possessing the full flavour of character such types often receive he is hardly developed at all beyond the aforementioned matchstick sculptures. Any sympathy or rooting-forness that the good guy in a boxing flick needs fails to materialise; the film makers seemed to decide that showing him doing something slightly arty and unexpected in a prison environment would be enough to establish him as an intelligent, float-like-a-butterly... type. Well, obviously they do to the extent that I can recognise it as a viewer, but I DON'T CARE as he remains extremely bland. Possessing neither the everyman-ness of a Rocky or the admirably hardcore good-guy-ness of a Gordon Freeman, his eventual big fight vs. his big rival leaves you caring very little.

The inmates of the prison are uniformly moronic, perpetuating the myths of the 'Code'/hive mind/actually not bad people! that every prison film embraces, and in this case we are shown no reason to either sympathise with their characters (some fairly ridiculous shows of heavy-handedness from the prison wardens are so unbelievable as to be insulting) or feel wonderment at their little behind-doors society. Good prison films (Shawshank Redemption) portray their jailbirds as essentially fallen humans, creating an interesting moral ambiguity within the viewer as they struggle with their simultaneously positive and negative feelings for what are often likeable characters. In Undisputed, they are either faceless, steroid-pumped loudmouths or ratty little wheeler-dealers who you consistently fail to notice as actually being important to the plot despite being in every scene, such is their relentless boringness.

The script is fuck*ng awful, frankly. I cannot remember a single line, but expect the usual diatribe about what it means to be a fighter etc. amongst perpetually stupid 'real prison talk'. I display more verbal gymnastics stabbing furiously at the keyboard after yet another night I fail to bring someone home and content myself with drunken postings on internet forums. The colours, cinematography and general niceness to view of the film all fail to achieve even basic competence, barely extending beyond monochrome prison colours and the directer, whoever he is, is not aware enough to exceed in this medium, as has been done before by many better films.

In short, it's shit shit shit, frankly I was shocked at the pathetic 1 hour 20 running time as it felt like 5 hours at only 20 minutes in. This lengthiness was by no means the result of plenty of content, how the film makers got more than 30 minutes out of their pathetic characters is a wonder, but the sheer mind-numbing crapulence of the viewing experience.

Andy, fuck you for making me watch it, film makers, your film is a cunt and you're a cunt, I hope wild hosss tear apart your film equipment.

Verdict, SHIT

Good day.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #476 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:53 pm »

I am so glad that you saw this movie. Is that cruel?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #477 on: May 10, 2010, 02:25:37 pm »

I am so glad that you saw this movie. Is that cruel?

Depends.

What are your reasons for gladness?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #478 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »

Because I got to read that post. I know, only a couple moment's pleasure in return for your hour and a half of suffering, it's not really fair.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #479 on: May 10, 2010, 03:45:51 pm »

Because I got to read that post. I know, only a couple moment's pleasure in return for your hour and a half of suffering, it's not really fair.

I loved it really. Everyone loves complaining in needlessly florid tones
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Up