The first paragraph describes a movie that does not sound preferable to going to the dentist; the second paragraph is about a fascinating film I want to run right out and see. I guess I should rent the DVD and watch it with the sound off.
Here's my (revised) review if it helps change your mind.
thats the one with viggo mortensen(sp?), right? its in my netflix qway. your good review makes me a little more jazzed to see it.
In that case I will expand.
The Road is a story that is by equal measures haunting and horrifying, yet Hillcoat's superb direction provides a film that is also gripping, enjoyable and curiously uplifting. Throughout the film I was consistently amazed by the stark beauty the film-makers had provided for the post-apocalyptic landscape; everything was perfectly executed, from sweeping vistas of ash-covered plains to the claustrophobic confines of petrified forests.
The acting is uniformly impressive, Mortensen his phlegmatic best as 'The Man'. Kodi Smit-McPhee puts in a convincing turn as his son and companion, with the chemistry between the two continually heart-warming despite their desperate surroundings. Every character in this film is spot-on, oozing humanity whether it be of the most civilised or brutal kinds.
Indeed, what's particularly cockle-warming about this particular brutal dystopian work is how character driven it is. Much like
Children of Men, another favourite of mine in this particular vein of films, there is little given to the way of explanation regarding the state the world finds itself in. All we know is that it is how it is; we are drawn ever closer to the characters as we realise that it doesn't matter what happened, all that matters is the challenges that present themselves to our protagonists.
The Road goes one step further that most, removing all explanation as to why the world (or North America anyway) is in its current state. All that matters is the coming-of-age story, as we realise the 'road' the father is leading his son on is more than just a stretch of broken tarmac. The unrelenting horror of the world around them is tempered with the beauty of their relationship and I'm shocked it wasn't nominated for an Oscar.
ADDENDUM FOR WOMBAT: Despite my gushing review, it is NOT a 'pleasant' film. Whilst there is great pleasure to be derived from the closeness of the relationship between the two main characters, they routinely find themselves in situations terrible, traumatic, horrifying, grisly, gruesome, gross, and hopeless. Many of my friends found this EXTREMELY depressing viewing. One scene in particular is extremely shocking. Do not watch it unless these things don't bother you.
Basically I liked it LOADS and you should watch it and say what you thought.