Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99718 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #510 on: June 03, 2010, 07:48:33 am »

Just finished viewing The Road.  I won't even try to top GKA and Judy's review.  All I'll say is I agree with every word of them.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #511 on: June 03, 2010, 12:08:36 pm »

Just finished viewing The Road.  I won't even try to top GKA and Judy's review.  All I'll say is I agree with every word of them.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a very Marmite film and I've had some people give me a lot of stick for recommending it.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #512 on: June 22, 2010, 10:21:33 pm »

man, I did not need to see The Fly at all.

But now I am obsessed with this weird joke where any time anyone asks me what a movie is about, I turn it into The Fly.

Well, you see, Elliot Ness is sent by the government to Chicago to fight the mob, during prohibition. He's struggling, but then he assembles this team of un-corruptable cops... things are going really well, but something slowly begins to change. At first he feels great: stronger, faster, smarter... but something is slowly changing. Something inside of him.

THE FLY.


Also: Weird Science was so stupid. I kept waiting for the part where they "learn their lesson." Instead, it was like, "hey, I fixed everything for you, now you have tons of friends and can fuck/love attractive women. It's all based on a lie, but, YOUR LIFE IS AWESOME NOW."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #513 on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:11 pm »

But Bill Paxton was pretty awesome as Chet.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #514 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:31 pm »

'Nev, I do the same thing with Dana Carvey's "Master of Disguise".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #515 on: June 23, 2010, 12:03:27 am »

weird science is awesome in large part because it's so very much not awesome
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #516 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:18 am »

I found the way that Weird Science managed to be the exact minimum of dirty for such a potentially dirty premise fascinating.

Teenage boys create a magical hot lady with their computer, Electric Dreams-style, and...

No. No. She's a PG-13 genie.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #517 on: June 23, 2010, 01:33:44 pm »

Also: Weird Science was so stupid.

Weird Science was awesome.  When I was in TENTH GRADE.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #518 on: June 23, 2010, 11:14:28 pm »

Has anyone here seen Happiness? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/
By far the darkest movie I have ever seen. I'm talking darker than Requiem For A Dream. I don't even know of any friends I'd feel comfortable watching it with. The thing that really made it different though was that Requiem knocks you out for a day because its a bummer of a movie. Happiness, on the other hand, is a much more... cerebral (read: mindfuck) kind of deal.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #519 on: June 24, 2010, 12:21:13 am »

Oh man, I used to watch the crap out of the Weird Science tv show when I was in middle school. Right after it was Duckman.

Oh man, you guys. Oh man.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #520 on: June 24, 2010, 04:21:48 am »

Has anyone here seen Happiness? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/
By far the darkest movie I have ever seen. I'm talking darker than Requiem For A Dream. I don't even know of any friends I'd feel comfortable watching it with. The thing that really made it different though was that Requiem knocks you out for a day because its a bummer of a movie. Happiness, on the other hand, is a much more... cerebral (read: mindfuck) kind of deal.

Yeah, that movie fucked me up for a little while.  I think I should see it again.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #521 on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:52 pm »

Happiness is pretty rad.  I have mentioned it before - specifically in regard to how the character in that film (Vladimir) is so much like Vlad, but hat this is likely more of a Russian stereotypes = shifty guy/automaton named Vlad.  The thing about Happiness is that every character in it is a loser, but a sort of masterfully realized loser.  I find that fascinating. 

The other Todd Solondz film I highly recommend is Welcome to the Dollhouse which in some aspects is even better than Happiness. It's a complex film, but one that is (on some levels) easier to watch.  You don't want to related to most of the characters in Happiness (even though you will), where as you can empathize with the main character in Welcome to the Dollhouse without it being personally humiliating to do so.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]   Go Up