Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 09:07:50 pm »

Pulp  Fiction really isn't very violent. It has it's moments, but it's all far tamer than it appeared those years ago. Fight Club does certainly have its moments of real violence, but it's not really about that, and what it is is a damned good movie, and well worth seeing. It's also hell of funny, and smart. And the Big Lebowski is pretty much one of my favourites, a 9/10 movie at worst, sheer brilliance the whole way through.

As Jough mentions too, Rushmore is a wonderful movie, though I feel anything by Wes Anderson is solid gold.The Life Aquatic, while flawed, is probably up there with Big Lebowski for me, as the flaws are so intrinsic to the film that I wouldn't have it without them. Kind of stops them being flaws really.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 09:29:00 pm »

Pulp  Fiction really isn't very violent. It has it's moments, but it's all far tamer than it appeared those years ago. Fight Club does certainly have its moments of real violence, but it's not really about that, and what it is is a damned good movie, and well worth seeing. It's also hell of funny, and smart. And the Big Lebowski is pretty much one of my favourites, a 9/10 movie at worst, sheer brilliance the whole way through.

As Jough mentions too, Rushmore is a wonderful movie, though I feel anything by Wes Anderson is solid gold.The Life Aquatic, while flawed, is probably up there with Big Lebowski for me, as the flaws are so intrinsic to the film that I wouldn't have it without them. Kind of stops them being flaws really.

Oh yeah, absolutely, but I would go with The Royal Tenebaums as the quisessential Wes Anderson.  That cab has a dent in it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 10:46:09 pm »

Tenenbaums is also excellent, but Rushmore has more of a place in my heart.

I love Election too in that same naive cinema kind of way, but it's not as much of a culturallly significant film.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 11:19:40 pm »

Pulp  Fiction really isn't very violent. It has it's moments, but it's all far tamer than it appeared those years ago.
These things are relative. It certainly isn't non-stop action/violence, but there is one scene in particular where the off-camera violence is fairly, er, vigorous.

It's not particularly gory.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 11:26:23 pm »

I would recomend Pulp Fiction and Resovoir Dogs.  Anything by Wes Anderson and, most importantly, Big Lebowski.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 11:37:59 pm »

I love Wes Anderson so much.

I was trying to explain to these fellows from my film class that the intro (ie: the opening credits. I guess that isn't really the intro) from The Life Aquatic are just like the ones in Citizen Kane. Mostly in terms of not having any backing music, and the big Block letters that say "The Life Aquatic."

Wombie-- I like Fight Club and Pulp Fiction, and I can barely stand gore. Reservoir Dogs, however, was beyond my abilities.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 11:55:16 pm »

What's with the hate on gore?  It's the final frontier of film.

If you feel like pushing your limits with some fantastical-gore-beasts, a serious must-see is John Carpenter's The Thing.  And when you see how awesome that movie is, you'll want to go with his earlier work with Rowdy Roddy Piper and his magic glasses in They Live.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 12:39:07 am »

OK, the Technical Staff says he once rented Pulp Fiction, and he only watched the first ten minutes of it and then quit because it was nothing but gratuitous gore.  I can't figure out how to reconcile this with all the previous messages. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 12:51:25 am »

I can't even think of any gore in the first 10 minutes. There is a little blood, and some violence, but... isn't it like an 8 minute shot of the guys wandering around that apartment complex?

this is another film I really need to purchase.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 01:43:25 am »

OK, the Technical Staff says he once rented Pulp Fiction, and he only watched the first ten minutes of it and then quit because it was nothing but gratuitous gore.  I can't figure out how to reconcile this with all the previous messages. 

The Technical Staff needs to grow a set.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 01:57:14 am »

OK, the Technical Staff says he once rented Pulp Fiction, and he only watched the first ten minutes of it and then quit because it was nothing but gratuitous gore.  I can't figure out how to reconcile this with all the previous messages. 
It's all relative. He knows your sensibilities more than we do.
The Technical Staff needs to grow a set.
::)
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 03:18:54 am »

Um, there is no gore nor violence really in the first ten minutes of Pulp Fiction.  Unless you count someone pointing a gun at someone to be "violence."

Seriously, Tech Staff is full of shit in this case.  First bit of violence doesn't happen for the first like, twenty minutes, and even then it's off camera.  Then there isn't any violence again for an hour or so.  And then not that much.

It's really not that violent a film.  I've seen kids movies with more violence in them.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 06:56:02 am »

I break my Lebowski-imposed exile because none of you have mentioned Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind have you? No! You will thrill, you will marvel, you will be convinced Jim Carrey AND Kate Blachett can act!
While I'm here....

Pulp fiction is an excellent start in the school of Tarantino, I'd see it before Resovoir Dogs because it's a little more accessible (I think) and though you don't like gore I'd recommend Kill Bill 1 since it is just a hell of a lot of fun. Pulp fiction gore depends on the version you get (I've seen some versions gorier than others) but really the gore is always peripheral to the story which is really just a bunch of people having awesome conversations.

Collateral is another great movie, a few people die but it's mainly a good movie because of the incredible tension that makes every scene creak. Plus Tom Cruise can act! Who knew? Also a good metaphor for people making prisons out of their own lives if you're into that kind of thing.

Hero is pure beauty, see it on the biggest screen you can find.

I agree with Usual Suspects, while we're on Kevin Spacey go see American Beauty too.

Mysterious Skin was probably the hardest movie I've watched in the last year but I'd recommend it, I don't know if I'd say it was insightful but it certainly was powerful.

To finish off I'm just going to assume you are a complete heathen and you haven't seen Dr. Strangelove, Go see it now. NOW.

While we're on old movies In the Heat of the Night is wonderful too, I would have Sidney Potier's inter-racial babies.

Oh and the Man who would be King.

I saw an Inconvenient Truth a little while ago and while the stuff it presents isn't exactly new and it's not really a movie it was rather entertaining, but you want something without too much Gore so I guess that's off the list. Aw dang I'm sorry for that, you didn't deserve that one.

Away again!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 07:05:32 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 09:34:23 am »


I skipped Fight Club in the theatre because I thought it was a lame action movie. But it's totally worth watching. Go ahead and catch The Usual Suspects and The Spanish Prisoner while you're in the genre.


At the time Fight Club came out, the Promise Keepers were starting to make big news.   At the same time, a coworker had a Fight Club screen saver with some quote from the movie.   I think it was in reference to Bob, and the crying.  Somehow in my head, the movie became about manly dudes punching each other and then crying, and reclaiming the sacred divine. 

I took a pass on that movie.   
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 10:51:34 am »

I break my Lebowski-imposed exile because none of you have mentioned Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind have you? No! You will thrill, you will marvel, you will be convinced Jim Carrey AND Kate Blachett can act!

This is very true. Eteernal Sunshine is a great movie too. Basically, I have discovered, anything written by Charlie Kaufman is awesome. Eternal Sunshine, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation (fantastic!)... Confessions of a Dangerous Mind might be good, but then Kaufman complained about Clooney running away and changing it without talking to him, and how he hates directors who do that, so I'm not holding out nearly as much hope for it. Must get round to it...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35   Go Up