Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 100003 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2006, 05:06:06 am »

How could you have been anything but bored during a comedown on a bender like that?

all racking your brain to figure out who has some that you can get

all calling the bank to find out your balance

all rationalizing not having to go to work tomorrow
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2006, 05:32:45 am »

How could you have been anything but bored during a comedown on a bender like that?

all racking your brain to figure out who has some that you can get

all calling the bank to find out your balance

all rationalizing not having to go to work tomorrow


1 can for this.  Been there.  Done that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2006, 06:06:12 am »

I have been there and done that as well.  Only this time I was in a different state (no connections), with alot of cash on me, and no work the next day.  I need to see the movie again, at least 5 close friends would probably put it in their top 10's if they were forced to name their favorite movies. 

The worst part of coming down off of something like that is the emptiness.  I could not have forced myself to be bored or entertained or anything, just sit there, empty, acting like I am watching a movie with two other people that I am very good friends with acting exactly the same.  All wanting to say something, but not wanting to think of anything to say or to possibly have to listen to a response.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2006, 07:11:47 am »

CWO is too colorful to be coming down off the white.

Ironically, the only color movie that I would enjoy more on blow is C&C's Up In Smoke.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2006, 04:38:01 am »

Oh!  I forgot to mention - they have Hawaiian Shirt Fridays at the Technical Staff's office.  I assume this a reference to the movie, but is this something people did before that the movie imitated?  It is not initiated by the bosses and they actually think it is fun, so I suspect it is a reference.

Movie? Not hardly. We get to wear Aloha shirts every day. Reyn Spooner more or less invented "Aloha Friday" here in the islands in the 50's. There are very expensive, business class hawaiian shirts here that cost $150 (Mine usually go around $40-$60) and it's very easy to tell a "tourist" shirt from a "local professional" shirt. Check out Reyn Spooner's website for really nice, high end, work-type Aloha shirts. (Not "Hawaiian" shirts.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:02:08 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2006, 05:21:30 am »

I've got to say, those are some amazing Hawaiian shirts, especially this one:

http://www.reyns.com/SC101_Services/SC101_Shopper/showItem.php?menuId=22&itemNum=70
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2006, 02:55:48 am »

OK, this one is no one else's fault, but we just saw The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou.  Blame this one on a colleague of mine at the aquarium who is always making references to it, so I had to see what it was about, and blame it on Roger Ebert, who says about it "I can't recommend it, but I would not for one second discourage you from seeing it."  Which was just too intriguing.  And turns out to be perfect.  I mean, my review of this would have been "WTF?", and yet I had no trouble sitting through two hours of it. 

Also a while ago I saw Dark City on an earlier recommendation of Jough's. It seemed to be put together entirely of elements that you have already seen in other science fiction: the dying alien race that kidnaps humans to try to find a way to survive (X-Files, anyone?), the human soul being something the collective-mind alien race doesn't have - for once could someone write a story about, like, humans finding an alien race with BETTER souls, or something? Star Trek has done the human-soul-envy thing to death and I'm not sure it was ever that interesting an idea in the first place. The world being changed with everyone unaware except a couple of people who somehow realize it's happening - read The Lathe of Heaven for a better version of that. Aliens who can change reality with their minds - oh, ho hum. A lot of good it is doing them, with them needing to be going extinct for plot purposes and all.  And the love interest whose memory is wiped clean of the relationship so the person aware of the changes, see above, has to start all over. I mean, haven't you seen ALL of these movies before?

I think you had to really care about how the movie looked, and about special effects, to think this was a good movie.  Which I don't. Now Jough will come and yell at me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2006, 03:44:35 am »

damn, I totally love The Life Aquatic. On a deep level.

wait, did you like it? or not? I can't tell. The use of the word Blame makes me think it's a no.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2006, 03:55:33 am »

I can't tell either.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2006, 04:33:37 am »

I hated, absolutely hated, the Life Aquatic the first time I saw it.  Now, with repeated viewings, I would put it on level with the other Anderson movies I have seen.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2006, 06:22:08 am »

You know how you have these albums or CDs or mp3s that you wouldn't really sit and listen to? And you know how you still play them in your general playlist during a party, between other music you truly enjoy? Background music. Stuff you enjoy, but don't focus on.

That is The Life Aquatic to me. I'll enjoy Rushmore again and again, and notice something new most every time. Bottle Rocket, more the former and less the latter; The Royal Tenenbaums more the latter, less the former. The Life Aquatic, I'll notice something new every time, but I'll only every enjoy it so much. I think it's a lovely film-as-art movie, but don't forget that film-is-also-entertainment. It costs money to see a film, but it doesn't cost money to see a painting (to get into the museum, sure, but that's to see the collection, not the painting) - paintings are art. Film, in most cases is only half art.

Basically what I am saying is if I had people over for dinner, and didn't plan on watching TV with them, and The Life Aquatic came on TBS, I'd turn it on and turn down the volume and let it play.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2006, 06:32:25 am »

To me, Life Aquatic was a partially-failed attempted at doing something really weird and great.

Which is 10,000X better by my estimation than a well-made picture of popcorn schlock that does exactly what it attempted to be.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2006, 06:37:30 am »

Yep, time for a poll.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2006, 06:54:19 am »

To me, Life Aquatic was a partially-failed attempted at doing something really weird and great.

Which is 10,000X better by my estimation than a well-made picture of popcorn schlock that does exactly what it attempted to be.

I think everyone on this board would agree with your point, as concerned to the arts, in your second sentence.  I just wish I knew what a schlock was.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2006, 07:15:24 am »

yeah, I really need to see Rushmore. I am told that I will love it by many.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35   Go Up