Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 100010 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2006, 09:09:55 pm »

ARE YOU READY FOR THE SUMMER!

Sorry.

I'll stop now.
Logged
We must repeat!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2006, 09:29:27 pm »

ARE YOU READY FOR THE SUMMER!

Sorry.

I'll stop now.

S'ok.  Know why?

Because it just doesn't matter.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2006, 09:50:50 pm »

ARE YOU READY FOR THE SUMMER!

Sorry.

I'll stop now.

I've never actually seen a Meatballs movie but I used one as a clue in Taboo this weekend. I love it when random shit like this converges.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2006, 10:05:47 pm »

Accepted: If a movie involves a bisexual character refering to himself as "half-gay", it is most likely trying to be funny.

Accepted: If a movie involves Jeff Goldblum, it is funny whether it is trying to be funny or not.

Conclusion: "The Life Aquatic" is primarily a comedy.

My major problem with "The Life Aquatic" was that it was trying to be too many things at once. Almost any given sequence was entertaining in some form or another but... it was as though all the pieces did not come together as a whole.

However, for me, that isn't much of a problem. "Armeggedon" did one thing, did it exactly as it wanted to and was a completely terrible movie. "Titanic" very similar.

Aquatic... wants to be a screwball comedy about how dumb smart people are, sometimes... and it wants to be a whistful meditation on reality and magic and the human condition... and in places, it's almost an action movie, in places completely sincere, in places seemingly entirely ironic.

I think that's why it improves with multiple viewing and on DVD where... you can sort of look at each thread of the film and appreciate it without necessarily being overwhelmed by how those beautiful threads don't always weave together.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2006, 10:20:01 pm »

Because it just doesn't matter.

Example #1001a why this board is the best place ever to play straight man. Y'all don't miss the real punch line.
Logged
We must repeat!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2006, 06:12:59 pm »

I think that's why it improves with multiple viewing and on DVD where... you can sort of look at each thread of the film and appreciate it without necessarily being overwhelmed by how those beautiful threads don't always weave together.

I think you're onto something here. Life Aquatic, in many ways, is one of the few films I haven't really thought about as a movie. In any conventional sense it's a bit of a mess, although is paced well, but I just adore it, having it instantly become one of my favourite films.
Armageddon on the other hand, beign Micheal Bay, never really stood a chance - he's just a fuck*ng hack. Everything he does is so textbook, every turn has an action sequence, and you can't care about it  since all the characters are so one dimensional.
Have to say the thing I'm most anticipating at the moment is Pan's Labyrinth, which sounds excellent. The most I've seen of it is some stills and even those look incredible.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2006, 03:26:43 am »

OK, we just saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  I thought it was fine, although something that one would probably have gotten a lot more of a kick out of at a younger age. But the Technical Staff found it 'completely idiotic.'  Or was it 'totally stupid.'  Anyway, you get the idea.

Quizzing him on what kind of movie he actually wants to see, apparently he would prefer either:

A. a movie where things blow up
B. a romantic comedy.

WTF! This man is wasted on me, obviously, because the last thing I want to see is a romantic comedy. But in the interests of domestic harmony I am open to suggestions in both categories.

In other news, we just watched half of Spike Lee's HBO documentary on Hurricane Katrina (it is four hours long so half is more than enough for one night) and I decided that we needed to buy a canoe. He disagrees on the grounds that we do not live in a city which is six feet below sea level. I think there is some flaw in this argument but I haven't been able to counter it successfully yet.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2006, 03:54:30 am »

Clearly Tech Staff has no sense of either humour or whimsy.  Ferris Bueller's Day Off is basically like treasure.

Chick flicks? That's what he wants to see?  Rent "Serendipity" - it may be more his speed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2006, 03:59:57 am »

It's not really either but I think that you should watch Sneakers. I don't know why, I just enjoy that movie.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2006, 04:02:00 am »

I liked "The Lake House," which is not a comedy but is still plenty chick-y.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2006, 05:10:57 am »

Two incredibly different movies that you should watch are "Tampopo" and "The Outlaw Josey Wales". 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2006, 01:11:04 pm »

I have not only seen Tampopo, I own the DVD. Now that's treasure. Although I also admit I will watch any kind of total crap if it's in Japanese or even set in Japan - a taste which I do sometimes regret, e.g. "Lost in Translation".

Really the Tech Staff does have a sense of humor, but I guess it's different. Whimsy may be exactly what it lacks, in fact.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2006, 01:34:35 pm »

...man, we've talked about this.

...

but anyway, I really liked Rushmore. Also: The Royal Tenenbaums was better than I remembered. And also:

42 Across: Royal Tenenbaum = This Achewood Cat, in a way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2006, 03:24:16 pm »

A. a movie where things blow up
B. a romantic comedy.

I will get to work on a romantic comedy where the two romantic interests have bombs strapped to them.  The script is in early development, but the intent is to make it (as the critics will attest) "timelessly romantic and explosively funny."  I think I'll probably just re-write There's Something About Mary only the dog will be a bomb, Ben Stiller's c*ck will be a bomb, the jizz in Mary's hair will be liquid explosive, and Matt Dillon's teeth will be made of tiny bombs... the potential is obvious.

Also, if technical staff is all for romantic comedy and things that blow up, does he like that awful show with Ron Livingston in it... Umm... this one?  I've never seen it, but it seems to combine those two things.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2007, 12:41:44 am »

We just saw High Fidelity. Having previously watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I am assuming that we have now wrapped up the Films Set In Chicago With Main Characters Who Talk Directly To The Camera film festival. Or are we missing something?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35   Go Up