Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99855 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2007, 04:23:01 pm »

hm. I have always had to edit my writing to make it longer. I always think my point is sufficiently conveyed long before it really is. And then, you know, I to make up bullshit to make it long enough.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2007, 04:31:25 pm »

hm. I have always had to edit my writing to make it longer. I always think my point is sufficiently conveyed long before it really is. And then, you know, I to make up bullshit to make it long enough.

That would happen to me all the time. I'd turn in 6 pages for a 10 page paper.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2007, 04:40:01 pm »

oh, see, I had bad experiences in high school where teachers took of hell of points just because it was too short. So now I'm afraid to make it more than a page too short. Which, if I were really editing how I should be, would be fine. But right now I'm kind of doing a "read through it to catch typos, print it out 10 minutes before class" type of groove.

re: movies. Have you guys seen 300? I've heard, alternatingly, "I liked it because I am a Classics major, but... it was probably a pretty bad movie" and "it was a really well made movie, but I didn't enjoy it, it was too intense" and... a bunch of other contradictory things.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2007, 05:30:01 pm »

oh, see, I had bad experiences in high school where teachers took of hell of points just because it was too short. So now I'm afraid to make it more than a page too short. Which, if I were really editing how I should be, would be fine. But right now I'm kind of doing a "read through it to catch typos, print it out 10 minutes before class" type of groove.

I had really cool teachers in high school. They'd be like "I knocked off 5 points for not meeting the length requirement so you get a 94" and such. My favorite was in AP English teacher handing back my paper for Catch-22. "You didn't read this book. I know you didn't. That's really sad because you would have loved it, it's really your kind of book. If you'd read it you easily would've gotten an A on this paper. But the AP test isn't about reading the books it's about writing good essays about the books. So you get a B."

I ended reading Catch-22 about 3 years later and it was really good.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2007, 05:51:23 pm »

You may be surprised to learn that never in my academic career was I docked for being too brief.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2007, 05:53:38 pm »

You may be surprised to learn that never in my academic career was I docked for being too brief.

Why must you turn our message board into a house of lies? Perhaps you need to look at The Big Book of British Smiles
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2007, 07:15:35 pm »

Why must you turn our message board into a house of lies? Perhaps you need to look at The Big Book of British Smiles

Thank you for dealing this much more effectively than I would of. It certainly needed it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2007, 08:36:31 pm »

ok, yeah, to clarify it was more of a thing where this one history teacher took off HELL of points for being only about half a page too short. most of my other teachers were pretty OK about stuff like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2007, 10:45:38 pm »

I have no story's about high school report writing but to jump back slightly: have you tried 'Howl's Moving Castle' Wombat? A touch darker than spirited away (and I swear by the end the plot makes little sense) but quite funny and very beautiful.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2007, 11:32:55 pm »

I have no story's about high school report writing but to jump back slightly: have you tried 'Howl's Moving Castle' Wombat? A touch darker than spirited away (and I swear by the end the plot makes little sense) but quite funny and very beautiful.

To jump back slightly, onto topic damnit...

Have you watched Kiki's Delivery Service? I mean, seriously, if you like the animated Pixary type films you oughta love that, and the dub is actually decent (one of the ones where they got actual actors to do it, and not bad ones at that - hell Phil Hartman as the cat godsdamnit!).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:41 pm »

"Howl's Moving Castle" is visually beautiful but a little incoherent on the plot side, with an ending line we were quoting melodramatically at each other for weeks thereafter. Out of curiosity, wombat, have you seen "Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind?" I personally think it might be my favorite of the Miyazakis, being just a little meatier than Totoro without being weighed down under it like Mononoke. On the other hand, if you have some fear of giant bugs I haven't heard about before, Nausicaa is probably not for you.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2007, 11:42:48 pm »

On the non-Miyazaki front there's always Grave of the Fireflies. Y'know, if you need a nice crushing depression for some reason.
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2007, 11:50:05 pm »

Kiki's delivery service is the cutest full-length movie I've ever seen, and pleasant other-front-wise to boot. Highly recommended.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2007, 12:27:45 am »

On the non-Miyazaki front there's always Grave of the Fireflies. Y'know, if you need a nice crushing depression for some reason.

Oh GOD I just saw that and i don't know what I was THINKING when I ordered it.

I have not seen the Howl one or the giant bugs one. Those both sound worth looking into, thanks.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2007, 12:41:45 am »

also, Castle in the Sky is real cute and whimsical and fun.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35   Go Up