Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 100020 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2007, 12:44:56 am »

Man. I have mixed feelings about Tarantino.

Amazing dialoguist, well-above-competent director... but, man, the subject matter, sometimes.

Some people glorify real-life non-cartoon violence and some people comedify real-life cartoon violence but... the dude is the best at both of these dubious creative choices and even at the same time. Especially at the same time.

I am pretty much the opposite of a person who think it is cool for a character in a movie to be reminiscing about ALF and then put three bullets into three men's heads and then say "Hey Willie!"

I am pretty much the opposite of that.

But I can't deny the guy is a really good filmmaker and parts of his movies that AREN'T of the ALFs 'n' AKs horrificality strain can sometimes be quite brilliant.

Plus the dude owns a FILM PRINT of "Manos, the Hands of Fate". Can you even beat that?

So I am torn.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2007, 01:58:54 am »

Is it just me, or is Pulp Fiction more palatable than his other films? I couldn't stomach Reservoir Dogs at all (mostly the ear scene), but I loved loved loved Pulp Fiction.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2007, 02:09:46 am »

Definitely.

I could not even get through Res. Dogs.

"Blah blah blue KILLING IS AWESOME AND FUNNY blue blue blah."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2007, 02:11:28 am »

Suck it up. Dogs rules. Also, I ref'd this in another thread, but you should watch Killing Zoe. When you are out of high school.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2007, 08:24:53 am »

I am all about Reservoir Dogs.

I like pretty much everything Tarantino does.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2007, 08:51:28 am »

no, I mean, it was an awesome movie. But when people are violent I get all freaked out and do embarrassing things. Pulp Fiction was better for me in that I never started gibbering like a little girl and hid my face.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2007, 09:05:34 am »

I do think Pulp Fiction was better though.  I pretty much like all of them equally, except Jackie Brown.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2007, 10:56:35 am »

See I think Tarintino's early movies were good for the dialogue portions as much (if not more) than the action portions, I'd love to see what he could do with a pure dialogue movie, maybe some sort of romantic comedy like When Harry Met Sally or something a bit more artsy like Dinner with Andre.
The kill bill movies were just channeling pure unashamed adreneline but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2007, 05:04:25 am »

Wombles, try Brothers of the Head. We watched that tonight. Certainly worth watching. Cojoined twins in a proto-punk band in Britain. Slink might have a word to say about it, maybe.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2007, 10:23:25 am »

Slink might have a word to say about it, maybe.

Ummmmm. Errrrm. Yeeeeeeeeeeees...
Maybe it's just early but, not sure what you mean...
I haven't seen it...
I did see the reviews when it was coming out and it looked interesting, if very strange...
Were they not effectively English? I thought it was made over here...
Hmmmmm...

Oh wait, I see...
'Conjoined twins? Eeeeew!'
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2007, 01:25:28 am »

I only meant English punk band? Maybe Slink knows about it.

Also American Hardcore, although the outtakes are interminable. If you like American punk, it's well worth watching. The shit with HR is great. Why is he the only frontman from an American punk band who isn't just amazingly annoying? Jesus, after watching this you will want to shank Henry Rollins early and often (if you don't already).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2007, 02:11:34 am »

reallly? as much as I love Hardcore, that film went on a little too long for me. It seemed like they tried to fit in too much.

Also that film confirmed two things:
-My friend Mike is Ian MacKaye (except... he drinks and loves pot. Personality-wise, though.)
-I love Ian MacKaye
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2007, 02:13:26 am »

reallly? as much as I love Hardcore, that film went on a little too long for me. It seemed like they tried to fit in too much.

Also that film confirmed two things:
-My friend Mike is Ian MacKaye (except... he drinks and loves pot. Personality-wise, though.)
-I love Ian MacKaye

Yeah, except for him being a cock.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2007, 12:55:27 pm »

Yeah, MacKaye is a self-righteous dick, man.  Good music, though. 

They're SO INDIE!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2007, 04:31:14 pm »

oh, well, there is a certain kind of self-righteous dick that makes me want to get all up ons.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35   Go Up