Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99893 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2007, 12:30:57 am »

We just saw Pink Flamingos.

I think that will be enough of that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2007, 01:57:36 am »

I saw Pink Martini once - worth the price of admission if you love that sweet torchy type of singing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #257 on: April 01, 2007, 03:21:54 am »

So far I haven't convinced myself that a fat drag queen eating a turd is something I should see.

I have a Pink Martini CD.  They torch it up with the best of 'em.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #258 on: April 01, 2007, 03:25:21 am »

So far I haven't convinced myself that a fat drag queen eating a turd is something I should see.

I don't know, Paul.  I've seen your Flickr photos.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2007, 03:35:09 am »

I don't know, Paul.  I've seen your Flickr photos.

Point Taken
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2007, 06:03:08 am »

Is Paul's account NIPSA? Should I be scared to click on that link?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2007, 12:14:03 pm »

So far I haven't convinced myself that a fat drag queen eating a turd is something I should see.


Actually we were quite disappointed to discover that this scene is not really part of the movie - it's just tacked on at the end. A truly great artist would have figured out how to work it into the plot.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #262 on: April 01, 2007, 12:18:26 pm »

A truly great artist would have figured out how to work it into the plot.
Hell I bet the farrelly brother's could work out a reasonable way to work that in there, if they haven't done that in one of their movies already.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2007, 12:24:49 am »

So far I haven't convinced myself that a fat drag queen eating a turd is something I should see.

I have a Pink Martini CD.  They torch it up with the best of 'em.

You know, I missed this the first time around, but I have to assume that the album you have is this one. Otherwise, black is white, ignorance is strength, the moon is the color of blood, etc. It is the only thing in this ridiculous world that makes sense.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2007, 12:39:12 am »

You know, I missed this the first time around, but I have to assume that the album you have is this one. Otherwise, black is white, ignorance is strength, the moon is the color of blood, etc. It is the only thing in this ridiculous world that makes sense.

No, this one, but I sure like the title of yours.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2007, 12:46:22 am »

No, this one, but I sure like the title of yours.

That's a beautiful album you have right there, but you basically have to get this other one. It is you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2007, 02:59:52 am »

The thread returns from the dead to report on our viewing of a classic: Soylent Green.

I could have sworn I must have seen bits and pieces of this on TV and such, but none of it was familiar - in fact, I had a mental image of the last scene that was totally not the last scene of this movie.

It was a lot better than I expected. It is a shame that they didn't realize that people in 2022 would not still have 1970s haircuts - made it hard on the suspension of disbelief.  But otherwise, not bad at all.  Would make an excellent double feature with 'An Inconvenient Truth' as long as you were willing to handle, like, the rash of suicides and such.

But here's the amazing story: The Technical Staff did not know the punch line.  Fortunately I didn't accidentally give it away till almost the end - and at that point the movie was cheating anyway, commiting that unforgivable sin in a mystery plot where it is seen that the main character learns a crucial fact but the fact itself is not revealed to the audience which has otherwise been privy to everything that that character knows. 

Anyway, at that point I said something like "Authors who do that kind of thing should be made into soylent green" and then he figured out what was going on. 

He said later that he must have known a long time ago because it vaguely rang a bell. But he didn't know when he was watching most of the movie.  How fortunate. I wonder how few people have had that experience.

Anyone ever read the book it was based on, by the way?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2007, 03:52:38 am »

IT'S PEEEEEEEEPPPPUUUUUULLLLL!!!!

Yes.  Harry Harrison rocks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2007, 07:20:37 am »

I was all about the stainless steel rat books back in high school days. One of those ones I am careful not to revisit since I'm fairly sure they won't hold up.

I've deliberately avoided soylent green because I figured knowing the punch would spoil it, do I take it that this is not so womby?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2007, 11:50:12 am »

I did not think that knowing the punch line made it pointless. There were definitely some ways in which it was dated but I thought they did a pretty good job pulling off making the world they were in realistic.  I always think that's more important in SF sorts of things than plot, anyway.  And it's still timely really.  We don't seem to worry as much now about population explosion as we did in the early 70s but the global warming theme couldn't be more current, you know?

The book is strangely hard to come by - only a few used copies on Amazon and bn.com for 25 dollars and up. I haven't looked elsewhere but they're usually representative. I'm afraid this means they've all been stolen from the library too....
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35   Go Up