Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99993 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2007, 12:44:34 pm »

Also it was Edward G. Robinson's last movie.

From IMDB:

When Thorn discovers that he is too late to stop Sol's suicide, he begins to cry. Charlton Heston was really crying - he was the only person on set who knew Edward G. Robinson was dying of cancer. His death scene was the last day he worked in his life; he died just nine days after shooting wrapped.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2007, 01:13:33 pm »

I really disliked Soylent Green.  But I watched it a long time ago, knowing the punchline, only because I had a crush on a guy in a band of the same name.  It actually lessened my attraction to him to watch the movie.  I have a distaste for Heston that sprung from seeing Soylent Green actually. 

Also, back in my vegetarian days, I used to eat these green broccoli nuggets, and in the back of my mind, I kept telling myself they were made of people.  Being meaty and green, but claiming not to be made of meat and also having soy as an ingredient... at first I was charmed by this, but it grew to be subtly disturbing to me.  In the back of my mind, I'd be muttering "it's made of people.  It's made of people.  It's made of..." etc.

As for movies, I really want to see Once.  It's a musical, but only in that the main characters (and the actors who played them) are musicians and the music is actually incidental to the plot.  The soundtrack is so good.  Every review on iTunes is a five star - and that's like 50+ reviews.  The film's not playing locally, so I'll just have to wait.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:30:29 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:36 pm »

I've deliberately avoided soylent green because I figured knowing the punch would spoil it

A movie whose climactic scene can be referred to as a "punchline" is enough of a reason to avoid it.

Actually I love those 70's future apocolyptic types of films.  Logan's Run is a personal favorite. 

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #273 on: May 29, 2007, 04:31:45 pm »

I think it was Make Room! Make Room! that introduced me to the idea of having a TV powered by an exercise bike.  I loved the idea, and I even believe its available now - but I still don't have one.  Nor do I have my flying car yet, damnit.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #274 on: May 29, 2007, 04:34:31 pm »

I was all about the stainless steel rat books back in high school days. One of those ones I am careful not to revisit since I'm fairly sure they won't hold up.


Gotta love the Stainless Steel Rat!  They hold up fine as long as you accept them for what they are.  Not great literature but a hella fun read written with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2007, 01:58:24 am »

Don't miss "Bill the Galactic Hero" if you're going to go in for that stuff. Co-written, but amusing. Also, "Planet of the Damned" and "Planet of No Return" and the Ringowrld books. Also, "Omega Man" is fun.

Wombles, you should watch "Chumscrubber" and "Cache" if you haven't. We bought them at a Hollywood Video sale this weekend for $2.50 apieve, and they are well worth it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2007, 03:21:21 am »

Ringworld is Larry Niven.  Also very good and absolutely worth reading (if you like SF). 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2007, 03:30:05 am »

Ringworld is Larry Niven.  Also very good and absolutely worth reading (if you like SF). 

Sure, but I said "Ringowrld" now, didn't I? DIDN'T I??
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2007, 03:48:01 am »

So... uh... SF books about the mysterious society of mites living off the dead skin flakes of Ringo Star's bed sheets?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2007, 04:23:00 am »

"Chumscrubber" sounds like a movie that you'd need to specify very carefully at the video store, lest you get disgusted looks and/or calls to security.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2007, 05:09:12 am »

"Chumscrubber" sounds like a movie that you'd need to specify very carefully at the video store, lest you get disgusted looks and/or calls to security.

I always thought it was the same job as Jizzmopper, but it turns out it is a totally different thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2007, 05:55:52 am »

Sure, but I said "Ringowrld" now, didn't I? DIDN'T I??

Please do not make fun of my dsylexia.  I take such pains to compensate for it...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2007, 07:25:15 am »

Hmm maybe I should track some down again, I never did get my hands on the whole series.
I should really read something by this niven guy too.
My Scifi education does have some gaping holes in it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2007, 07:03:35 pm »

The Mote books aren't bad - and the other one that's like the anti-Mote. (They're with Jerry Pournelle.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2007, 09:48:55 pm »

I'm going to see this tonight and will report back later.  It was the SO's selection.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35   Go Up