Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Only a loon would come up with The Gong Show  (Read 1814 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Only a loon would come up with The Gong Show
« on: September 18, 2003, 10:36:36 pm »

The missus and I finally rented and watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, about Chuck Barris, based the game show creator and purported CIA assassin's autobiography.

Directed by George Clooney. His debut in that role; he's got a good supporting role as well.

Drew Barrymore and Julia SoderbI mean Roberts are in it, as well, and the lead is played by Sam Rockwell, best known for parts such as Guy Fleegman in Galaxy Quest and Eric Knox in Charlie's Angels.

Ready? The star scale is completely inadequate for this movie. It earns EIGHTEEN BAJILLION STARS. And I can't stand Julia R.

The direction is quite surprisingly beautiful, and Rockwell pulls off such an amazing Barris it gets hard to believe it's not actually him reincarnated. But the real Barris isn't dead, so that's impossible, regardless of your beliefs. They actually feature several associates of his from the time in short interview clips, including Gene Gene the Dancing Machine, and the real Barris is revealed at the end of the film, looking quite old, and rather terrible.

Whether you believe the story or not, the movie's fantastic. It's got action, comedy, sex, intrigue, good costumes and great acting. If you haven't seen it, do so. If you have seen it, what did you think?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Only a loon would come up with The Gong Show
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 11:21:09 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"

If you haven't seen it, do so. If you have seen it, what did you think?


Well, I haven't seen it yet, though I have been intending to. I have a strange soft-spot for Clooney, despite him being Clooney, and I can just about stand Roberts in good things (see Ocean's Eleven).
Also, from watching (the dreary, stupid and longwinded) Green Mile a coupla years back with my then girlfriend, I decided straight off Sam Rockwell was gonna be big. He hasn't yet become as big as I'd hoped, but he is a great actor.
So yes, I will see it soon, and thanks for letting me know I should get round to it sooner than I would have otherwise!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Only a loon would come up with The Gong Show
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 03:24:11 am »

That's all well and good, but does it have Jaye P. Morgan innit?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Only a loon would come up with The Gong Show
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 04:53:19 am »

Avast, ye film I have not seen, but I'll trade me pieces of eight for it when the tide again comes in.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Only a loon would come up with The Gong Show
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 04:43:04 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
That's all well and good, but does it have Jaye P. Morgan innit?


Yarrr, a fine question, me lad, and 'twould hardly be such a prize wi'out. Aye, she's in the film! She be bad luck on my ship, though, and I'd haff ta gut her like a pygmy eunuch!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1]   Go Up