Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.  (Read 6169 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:51:37 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10122006

What word other than "prototype" could that be?

It ain't "prototype" but it definitely starts with "prototyp-".

Prototyping? What would that mean?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:55:40 am »

For all of you who were waiting for gripping Bensington dialogue: here it is!

Alas, he doesn't look long for this world. Much like Persephone, now that he has sampled the food of the magical-realist world, he is trapped there. Perhaps he can bargain down to six months a year since it was only a little ketchup, and ketchup is not a food anyway?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 05:05:58 am »

Ketchup is not a vegetable, but still counts as food. ...I'm not sure about Hunt's, actually.

lfm, thanks for doing it right. Prototyp...ical? ...ix? ...ié? ...inoid? ...ing lab? ...ing something?

I just love the look of shock on his face when he realizes he's that guy. No, not "that guy" but that guy.
Code: [Select]
<style type="text/css">
  img.bensington {
    filter: glow(color=#fff, strength=12, offset=-20,-3);
  }
</style>
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JALove

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 05:06:53 am »

My money's on "prototyping", not that that makes much sense.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:24:17 am »

How much money you talkin' about, JALove?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 05:35:29 am »

Quote from: JALove
My money's on "prototyping", not that that makes much sense.

Yeah, I mean, it's a present tense verb where a noun should be.

...and not even a verb that makes sense.

I'm trying to construct a sentence that uses "prototyping" without being a real stretch and, like, I keep accidentally making sentences with "stereotyping" instead.

"When she saw me eating pizza in a Catholic Church while killing a man over a gambling debt, I suddenly became aware of her stereotyping me for my Italian heritage..." and I'm like...

Dammit! I used "stereotyping" again.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 05:50:11 am »

Opening a zippo with one motion is the kinda thing that dudes with mullets do.  I now decree that to be officially "THE HUNTS MOVE."

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 05:55:39 am »

If I weren't about to climb into my fluffy, warm bed, I would google and see if there's some crazy German word (or other language) for Prototype that Onstad might be referencing.

Heh...the Persephone reference was particularly apt, V.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 06:12:51 am »

Quote from: linnea
I would google and see if there's some crazy German word (or other language) for Prototype that Onstad might be referencing.

See, I was thinking that too?

Maybe as we're dealing with Mexican Magical Realism with its StrongBadcopters and midget-ghost inventors, it'd be Spanish for prototype?

But The Internet says that Spanish for "prototype" is "prototipo"... which is not only predictable to the point of my briefly wanting to accuse the Yahoo English-to-Spanish dictionary of being secretly rascist ("What will you tell me next? That Spanish for hamburger is el hamburgio?") but also useless... because that "y" is missing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 07:54:39 am »

Perhaps 'prototyping lab', or even just 'prototyping department'.  I could see just the word 'prototyping' being left there, similar to how it wouldn't be too weird to see a door at an office labelled 'processing'.  But that whole issue seems entirely pedantic, hahah..

who the hell just drinks ketchup.
Logged
~

mtarquin

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
  • nun
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 08:12:23 am »

Perhaps it is "Prototypingu," but there really isn't anything related to animated clay penguins in "Prototypi- 73."
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 12:59:31 pm »

This trip was the longest that Bensington has ever gone without eating some Hunt's. At parties he sneaks off to the bathroom at regular intervals to suck on little packets.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 02:17:48 pm »

But The Internet says that Spanish for "prototype" is "prototipo"...

The dude's secret factory/warehouse is located in Mexico. It's definitely "Prototipo #73".
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 02:21:43 pm »

Yeah, I mean, it's a present tense verb where a noun should be.

Yes, no businesses ever use present tense verbs to describe departments. I think I'll float the idea to Hal in marketing.

Also, this bottle does not seem to be shaped like a perch with a cramp.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:27:10 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 02:34:28 pm »

Yes, no businesses ever use present tense verbs to describe departments. I think I'll float the idea to Hal in marketing.

Also, this bottle does not seem to be shaped like a perch with a cramp.

That's why it's the prototype. They need to get the formula for the actual "ketchup" down before they go spending money on packaging. No matter what Hal in marketing says.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up