Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.  (Read 6176 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 03:33:59 pm »

A snap of the cap for the cat with the hat? A snap of the cap for the cat with the scat? A snap of the cap for the cat with the Pat?

I think Bensington has been led here by the curious system on which the building operates. It doesn't seem hard to lose a cat as corpulent as Ray. My quid is on Bensington getting taught a lesson, a la Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 03:41:31 pm »

That's why it's the prototype. They need to get the formula for the actual "ketchup" down before they go spending money on packaging. No matter what Hal in marketing says.

Yeah, exactly. Remember, the perch-with-a-cramp package does not actually have anything to do with the efficacy of the product; it's just a crutch in place so people will believe that their ketchup is "ergonomic" and not Hecho en Mexico.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 04:39:35 pm »

I thought I was going to whip out some Knowledge here.

but Heinz is the ketchup that says "57 varieties." Not Hunts.

damn. I was going to feel so cool about that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 04:52:02 pm »

I thought I was going to whip out some Knowledge here.

but Heinz is the ketchup that says "57 varieties." Not Hunts.

damn. I was going to feel so cool about that.

This reminds me, do people from outside Pennsyltucky use the expression "like Heinz has pickles"?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 05:21:14 pm »

Cort, not even people in PA use that phrase, unless it's from that unfortunate expanse to the West.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 08:48:20 pm »


I think Bensington has been led here by the curious system on which the building operates.

Curiosity killed the cliche.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 09:13:14 pm »

ok, so, is eating the ketchup going to make him turn into a perfectly sine-shaped dude? is that what we're seeing here? or maybe just his esophogous/stomach/intestines?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 01:33:22 am »

Does anyone else image Lonis's voice sounding like it's being played back from a wax cylinder on an early-20th-century phonograph when they read his dialogue, or is it just me?
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 03:03:27 am »

Does anyone else image Lonis's voice sounding like it's being played back from a wax cylinder on an early-20th-century phonograph when they read his dialogue, or is it just me?

Well I certainly will from now on.  Good call.
Logged

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 07:36:33 pm »


OK people, has anyone tried to identify the three picayune and varicoloured objects that appear drawn up in series with the condiment bottle?

In the first panel they look as if they have different colours, but this may be a curious effect of distance, like the bluing of the deep background in certain Old Master paintings.

They have, on the whole, the look of wine-gums.
Logged

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 04:22:47 pm »

Yeah, I mean, it's a present tense verb where a noun should be.

Awww yeah, suckaz.  We doin' this.

I'm still quite new here, and I hope I'm not stepping too far out of line by dredging this up, but all the other newbies have been posting introductory threads (...well, three of them, at least?  I think?  And one was actually from June?) and I thought it was only proper to join in.  I've opted to revive this thread instead of starting a new one for myself, for reasons that will become apparent momentarily.

I discovered Achewood about two years ago, midway through the "Ray's Toilet Party" arc, and I began following the goings-on on these boards not long thereafter.  There were a number of times when I almost registered an account, but until recently I only ever lurked here, mostly on account of my having this sort of compulsive fear of message boards... it's difficult to explain.  Anyway, this is the first discussion board I have ever joined where I was not required to do so for a class, and when I finally did sign up it was to fulfill a New Year's resolution not to be a dude who is afraid to post on a message board.  I think I've managed to overcome that fear now, at least for the most part, and I'm looking forward to hanging around.

Why, then, did I post this in this thread?  For two years I lurked on these boards, throughout the entire Great Outdoor Fight, through Cartilage Head, through a number of really great one-offs... but in spite of all that, it was this strip that brought me the closest to registering, if only to provide the solution to this particular mystery:

"Prototyping" is in fact grammatically correct.  It is a gerund.

Education.


It would have been a grand first post, but I suppose it'll do well enough now anyway.  It's certainly a load off my chest.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 04:46:13 pm »

Well I'm impressed.

But I'm not convinced you can (or should) try and apply most rules of grammar to a single word, grammar is context and I'm not sure a single word sign needs it. Even less so in Lonis' warehouse.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 07:03:44 am »

Well, fair enough, but parts of speech also derive their meaning from the context of reality itself.  In the case of a single-word sign that physically, spatially identifies a room, the word must be some part of speech that functions as a noun, by the very definitions of what a noun is and what a room is.  Oftentimes grammar can exist outside the context of a sentence, or a fragment thereof; the sentence itself is only an abstraction conveying the relationships between different concepts already squarely founded in reality.

Plus, y'know, I gotta represent.  Word up to all my gizzerunds, yo.  Holla.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 07:24:24 am »

Now that I think about it, hot damn, that arc was good.
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 08:46:14 am »

Plus, y'know, I gotta represent.  Word up to all my gizzerunds, yo.  Holla.

I believe that "gizzerunds" may redeem entirely this otherwise pretty damn irritating slang/fake slang formation. It is basically like treasure, even if it will never be used again.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up