Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shakin' All Over...  (Read 1497 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Shakin' All Over...
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:04:07 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shakin' All Over...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 04:23:08 am »

Yeah, how ARE you doing?  Earthquake aside, we haven't heard from you in a while.  How the new pup?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shakin' All Over...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 01:35:37 pm »

I'm sending all my good thought your way, AD.

I'm remembering that post about the fear of falling coconuts in your yard, and I hope none of 'em smashed anything important, and that all are well.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Shakin' All Over...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 06:08:33 pm »

Hey all, sorry about shirking my charter member duties lately.

Here's the story:

1) Hannah Noelani was born July 14 and she's perfect. Wifes been off work since and we're working out what kind of schedule she can go back on. Child care here is really expensive and we have a 20 month old and a three month old.

2) I changed jobs again and now I work for the US Postal Service. It's a supervisor position in a post office, so I have to learn the delivery and retail unit operation. I've been tested and evaluated since August and it goes on until Thanksgiving - then probation until January. Best part: Shifts are 5 am until 2 pm; 10 am until 7 pm or 2 am until 10 pm. I get to work all of them right now.

3) probably told you all this but we moved house again in July right before the baby was born.

3) Earthquake - The Big Island is a 45 minute flight from here - 164 miles or so to Kailua-Kona - at 7 am we heard stuff falling off the dresser and Elinor yelled at the cat. I was looking at the cat and he hadn't moved. A few seconds later we heard a low rumble and the house started to shake - just enough to rattle the light fixtures - nothing fell off the walls - but you could feel the shaking in the bed. Both larger kids were up so I went to the living room - it was still rumbling and shaking, it felt like it went on for about 20 seconds. Got the kids into doorways and waited. Elinor went to the computer to check the USGS sites, I turned on the radio but 17 minutes after what was the second quake (scientists here feel it was two separate quakes, a 6.0 and a 6.7 with different epicenters and at different depths in the earth) Hawaii Electric's fail-safe system cut in and eliminated power across the entire island. In fact, on every island. A statewide power outage. Our power came back on around 1 am Monday morning, Internet and cable came up around 11 am Monday for us.

We cooked on our propane stove and grill (we had rack of lamb by candlelight!) and made a list of all the things we need to get for hurricane/earthquake preparation. We were ill-prepared but better off than a lot of people. The worst part was we have no land line phones and the cell network was jammed all day; we couldn't get calls in our out except by sheer luck.

There were no fatalities statewide and only a few injuries. One lady did die in a fire that night, probably due to negligent use of candles. A few broken bones too - no one was hurt in my family. Tree in our backyard lost some coconuts.

It was mostly an education for us as to what we need to get together in the event of a disaster of some kind. We couldn't find batteries. We need a larger amount of water put aside. A generator. Most importantly, we had a grand total of $5.00 cash on hand.

So now we have a plan for whatever happens next.

 
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shakin' All Over...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:41:49 pm »

I am glad you are OK and I love this story.  Because the first thing you did was yell at the cat and the last thing was head for the Internet.  That is exactly how we would react to an earthquake too.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shakin' All Over...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 04:49:39 pm »

What?  I MISSED ANOTHER DAWG OFFSPRING!!!

Crapioca Pudding. 

Congrats, congrats.  No wonder you haven't been around.  I'm sure you've got the hands more than full. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up