Yeah, what kind of super hard/rubber-y cheese are you being served?
I've never been served French onion soup where the cheese infused bread was so hard as to not be conquered by the side of the spoon, or a knife if I'm feeling especially jaunty.
My problem with French onion soup is the way the cheese traps in the heat. I mean, I've been served French onion soup where the under-lying liquid is of such a temperature that it should basically be vapor. It's, like, scientifically impossible for the soup part to be as hot as it is and still be liquid, but somehow, by magical cheese magic, it remains liquid. Sure, being sensible and not confined to a nut house where sharp spoons or basic butter knives are banned (as I assume is the case with theinev) I hack that cheese bread up, but the tantalizing cheesy-ness and the savory aroma make it hard to resist immediately tasting a spoon full, and then I've burned my tongue and ruined the rest of the meal because I can't taste anything.
To summarize: my problem is excessive heat + lack or restaint.
Also, cartoon cats.