Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Election Day  (Read 9070 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 05:30:28 pm »

Exit polls aren't accurate enough for us to use them as anything other than talking points and hypotheticals. 

I can understand a news outlet reporting the results of exit polls and I can understand them calling an election before all the official results are in, but ne'er the twain should meet.  Of course, the value of being "first" to call a winner can compel a News Director to make some risky decisions.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 05:49:12 pm »

Exit polls aren't accurate enough for us to use them as anything other than talking points and hypotheticals. 

I can understand a news outlet reporting the results of exit polls and I can understand them calling an election before all the official results are in, but ne'er the twain should meet.  Of course, the value of being "first" to call a winner can compel a News Director to make some risky decisions.

To be fair the examples I gave were all for "common sense" calls. Like Ted Kennedy or Adrian Fenty. People who nobody ever doubted would possibly lose.
Logged

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 12:55:10 am »

turbo ninja do you think you could please change your avatar it's really getting on my nerves thanks
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 03:41:19 pm »

turbo ninja do you think you could please change your avatar it's really getting on my nerves thanks

I had no idea.  I'll be happy to change it but I don't have any suitable replacements on this computer nor the means to properly create one.  Your suggestions for a placeholder would be welcome.  In the meantime, I'll be avatar-less.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2006, 07:36:47 pm »

I am also relieved that that avatar is gone.  Thank you.

It is always tasteful to search the Achewood archives and pick out a picture that will remind us of some great strip we've forgotten about.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 09:57:05 pm »

I am also relieved that that avatar is gone.  Thank you.

It is always tasteful to search the Achewood archives and pick out a picture that will remind us of some great strip we've forgotten about.

Quoted for truth. Search the archives and do us a favor.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2006, 01:30:18 am »

We've gotten rather pc around here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2006, 01:36:13 am »

the reason it freaked me out, personally, is that it looked like one of my friends. so every time I saw it, I thought "Alex J***** is fellating an invisible c*ck!?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2006, 12:14:44 pm »

I liked it. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2006, 07:18:50 pm »

I liked it.
Quote from: KeithHernandez
I really love cocaine.
Quote from: KeithHernandez
I smoked two and a half packs of cigarettes over the course of one baseball game.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Election Day
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 08:59:53 pm »

I changed my avatar - now you can think of me as a screeching baby (even moreso than usual).
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up