Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Introductory Album Thread  (Read 22909 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2006, 04:51:33 pm »


Born to Run or Born in the USA?

Wombat says, predictably, why not both?

But if you put a gun to my head - Born to Run, definitely.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2006, 05:06:24 pm »

Wombat says, predictably, why not both?

But if you put a gun to my head - Born to Run, definitely.

Remember when I said Wombat:movies::CortJstr:music? This is why. I didn't know these were different albums. I also routinely mix up Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2006, 05:12:54 pm »

I also routinely mix up Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen.

Sir, though your confusion is understandable, I still demand my sweet, sweet satisfaction.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2006, 05:27:11 pm »

Born to be Wild
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2006, 05:28:34 pm »

I also routinely mix up Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen.

Excuse me while I fall on the floor weeping and rending my garments.  You poor child.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2006, 05:32:38 pm »

Remember when I said Wombat:movies::CortJstr:music? This is why. I didn't know these were different albums. I also routinely mix up Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen.

I do that with Bon Jovi and  Bryan Adams fairly regularly, but I only tend to have about so much exposure to either. Thank god.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2006, 07:59:16 pm »

Quote from: JudyIsADickSlap
Born to Run or Born in the USA?

It is as if you are asking me to choose between two children...

Two children who conspired to murder my wife of thirty years and myself as well, though my life was saved by a hero police dog, leaving me with the empty life of a widower, damned to the knowledge that the fruits of my loins killed the love of my life and are now being sexually assaulted by white supremisists in a jail somewhere while I... eat Swanson dinners alone until death has the good humour to take me as well.

Would I rather die by a stray bullet from a gang war I had nothing to do with or would I rather walk into an open manhole and die in a way that is at-least funny?

Hm.

I'm gonna have to go "Born in the USA" because... they're both incredibly terrible songs but at least "Born in the USA" was so poorly constructed that it became a rallying call for the exact opposite of what it was trying to say.

If there are style points in college football, there must be style points in musical failure.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2006, 08:22:33 pm »

That is eloquent, LFM, but I think Judy means a choice between the two entire albums, not just the songs of those titles.   Not that one expects that this will increase your enthusiasm for either.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2006, 08:50:14 pm »

Born To Run, but Judy, why the interest in Bruce Springsteen?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2006, 09:25:35 pm »

I swear, Greetings from Ashbury Park NJ or The Wild The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle are better Springsteen albums than either of those, but Born to Run is definitely third.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2006, 09:32:31 pm »

Don't hate on Springsteen! Please guys and gals, I can compromise on many things but this is not one of those things.

Rest assured he won't be appearing on the next mixdisc, however.

Keith, Paul and Wombat get cans for recommendations.

The hell, saying Springsteen sucks is recommendation too, so cans for everyone I guess.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2006, 09:40:53 pm »

Cans for some, tiny American flags for others!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2006, 10:11:48 pm »

I just... I just...

I don't know if I will ever understand "The Boss." I just do not get him. I know I have said this about many other well-loved artists on this board, so... yes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2006, 05:12:18 am »

His first three albums seem to me to reflect a post 60's hangover poor youth, with mystic and street knowledge.  Straight fuck*ng rock and roll the American way.  Not in the chevy truck way, but the dylan/beat/woody guthrie tradition.  The first two show the view of him and his peers, the third (Born to Run) romaticizes it.  After that he becomes more of a throwback type guy.  It is okay, but just not the same.  If you can, you owe it to yourself to check out these songs, off Born to Run, The Wild the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle, and Greetings from Ashbury Park: 

blinded By the Light
Lost in the Flood
It's Hard to be a Saint in the City
The E-Street Shuffle
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Meeting Across the River
Jungleland
Born to Run

If you already have then you can bash on Springsteen all you want.  Also, the difference between Springsteen and Mellencamp is pretty huge, at least in my opinion.


Edit:  Basically what I am trying ot say is that alot of people in my generation judge Springsteen on the 80's part of his career (the most commonly played on like radio and stuff), but the may like the early part.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 05:17:26 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2006, 05:18:53 am »

Also, the difference between Springsteen and Mellencamp is pretty huge, at least in my opinion.

Skinda like the difference between the Beatles and the Monkees.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up