I mean, literally speaking, I have no idea what Springsteen's background is. He may well basically match his star persona on a biographical level.
But the image and the music just feel so... artificial and constructed to me.
"Okay, we want something... bar rock-y but... we don't want to limit ourselves from potential arena tours so lets make sure to get some horns in there. And we're going for "the grass roots thing" so we'll vaguely ape the whole Dylan/Guthrie thing."
"We won't push the politics too much to keep the Heartland but... we don't wanna lose the East Coast either, so we need to make reference to somewhere blue-collar in the Northeast and just keep referencing it over and over until it borders self-parody."
"Joel already took Allentown? Crap, we're stuck with New Jersey."
"We're gonna need a guy with an... okay voice but not so good that it'll make any of our core consumers feel bad about themselves. Oh and... what was the note from merchandising? They said (shuffles papers) ... oh, apparently bandanas are hot with the kids these days. We'll need to definitely put Generic Rock Star #473 in a bandana of some kind."
"Eh, we'll find him soon, just... start printing up the bandanas. Those take time."
I dunno. I'll admit to bias.
If I find Bob Dylan to be maybe the most over-rated act in rock history (solid songwriter, awkward-at-best performer, confusing image) then I'm not gonna be into a guy who's essentially constructed as the bubblegum Bob Dylan, watered down enough to play the Wichita War Memorial Arena or whatnot, either.
As for the Stones... no, no, I get it, they're the popular progenitors of that stuff.
But I don't care for seafood.
You can put the best lobster in the world, prepared the best way, in front of me and...
My reaction's gonna be "Ewwwwwww, water spider."