Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Introductory Album Thread  (Read 22931 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2006, 05:41:33 pm »

man, I dig you LFM. I totally don't get lobster.

but I love Bob Dylan, and that's just based on his first album where he covered (mostly) old folk songs. So I'm kind of putting off listening to his other stuff, lest I turn into some kind of drooling stalker.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2006, 08:23:01 pm »

man, I dig you LFM. I totally don't get lobster.

but I love Bob Dylan, and that's just based on his first album where he covered (mostly) old folk songs. So I'm kind of putting off listening to his other stuff, lest I turn into some kind of drooling stalker.

Avoid Highway 61 Revisited then.  For your sake and his.

(Just trying to drag it a bit back OT)
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2006, 11:00:05 pm »

Also avoid Another Side of Bob Dylan, avoid it today if possible (with Highway 61).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2006, 05:14:28 am »

Definitely steer clear of his latest Modern Times because it stands among his best.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2006, 09:08:48 am »

Actually I confess I would choose Blood on the Tracks over a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. It just would be so much better if someone slightly different were singing on it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2006, 03:24:19 pm »

Complaining about Bob Dylan's singing voice is kind of like complaining about Jimi Hendix's lyrics.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2006, 09:30:51 pm »

Nobody complains about Hendrix lyrics when he's singing All Along the Watchtower.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2006, 09:35:22 pm »

....do people not like hendrix lyrics? I like his lyrics. typically.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2006, 09:41:56 pm »

Nobody complains about Hendrix lyrics when he's singing All Along the Watchtower.

You get a can for that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2006, 09:43:59 pm »

....do people not like hendrix lyrics? I like his lyrics. typically.

OK, let me put it another way.  It's like criticisizing Michael Jordan for being a lousy cook.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2006, 10:23:42 pm »

Doctor Comparision has resurrected another patient, folks!
Logged
We must repeat!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2006, 06:39:03 am »

Although I am happy that someone else has amalgamated Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen in their mind, I'm interested in this concept of Springsteen as "not too political".
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2006, 08:25:29 am »

Perhaps, better to say, "vaguely political".

A lot of... very general sort of like "the working man is rough and tumble and the fatcats on Wall Street are keeping him down" kind of stuff but... not the kind of specifics that would actually alienate a dude on a tractor in a Ford commerical. Because tractor dude buys records too.

Sort of a Green Arrow deal.

On first blush, you read a Green Arrow story and you're like "that's wild, this superhero is very politically liberal" but... after a while, you realize that he's actually not saying anything specifically very political at all.

Perhaps to make sure that the reader understand the writer and editor aren't taking a position, it's just this is his character trait for the purposes of the story. Because tractor dude buys comics too.

He's... gesturing TOWARDS political things all the time but it ends up being as nebulous as:

"Green Lantern, you're always watching out for the purple man, but what about the black man?"

Or so on.

He's being not too political but he's being not TOO political all the goddamn time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2007, 04:05:14 am »

Anybody listen to Mercury Rev?  There Yerself Is Steam record is amazing.  As well as Boces and Deserter's Songs.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2007, 04:49:02 pm »

Anybody have a recommendation on The Residents?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up