Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Introductory Album Thread  (Read 22981 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2007, 11:17:52 pm »

The Residents Commercial Album.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2007, 09:33:35 pm »

To tie things up:

To kick things off: Can anyone recommend a 'beginner's' Tom Waits album?

Well, I bought TWO recommendations because they were dirt cheap: Closing Time and Rain Dogs. Thankyou, TOUAMB, for making my life a little bit richer, with more gravel.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2007, 11:25:49 am »

Harumph, perhaps I should come to this part of the woods more often.  Interesting music discussion, without the flaming and scene-points of the world/inferno forums.

To resurrect TMBG, it seems a terrible travesty that the music video for Ana Ng wasn't linked as well -- something about it just makes it bounce around in my head in a positive sort of way, and seems to be the best way to introduce someone to them.  Of course, if you like that song, you're in no way guaranteed to like the album it's off of, as it seems their earlier work didn't even stay consistently within one style even within a single disc.  I believe my introduction to them was through Severe Tire Damage (a sort-of compilation with various different recordings), and I still prefer quite a few versions of the songs found on it.  I must agree that it seems like their more well-known stuff seems to sit less pleasantly with me, and I think I have come to actually hate Particle Man, but there is just so much good stuff available from them.

And holy crap, I bought Rain Dogs for $2 at a thrift store and it has seriously started a new obsession for me.  I don't have more to add about that, except that if you are enjoying Rain Dogs, get Swordgiraffetrombone and Frank's Wild Years.  Also, if you are liking that kinda stuff, you should also check out the band Man Man.

And finally, springsteen always seems to bring up turmoil in a discussion, doesn't he?  My friends all seem to have the same opinion of him as they do of Gordon Gano: excellent songs wrapped in an unbearable voice.  I can kind of see where they are coming from, but there is something about springsteen's songs that just..  work exceptionally well in my head.  And it took me quite a while to get into him as well, because all my family loved him, and his music was always around, and I always felt extremely Meh about it all.  And then of course one day I realized I was in love, and I honestly could not explain why.  But song like thunder road, rosalita, the river..  something there just works really well for me.

And I would say good call on recommending Why do birds sing? -- their first album is great, yes, but american music is an excellent song, and the whole cd is just a lot less dark and more accessible.  It's like, as much as I love Hallowed Ground, I don't think I could recommend that either for someone to start with..  I don't think they'd get far past country death song.

OK now I really should be asleep.
Logged
~

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2007, 10:31:57 pm »

How's about someone recommends me an album by Cannonball Adderly?  I'm a huge sax guy but I suck at knowing where to find what is good.  Also a recommendation for a starter's Phish album.  There's WAY too much to sort through there, though I do have their cover of Dark Side of the Moon.

Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2007, 12:25:46 am »

Phish: I enjoy Billy Breathed, on occasion. But something live would probably be better-- I have no idea what this would be.

I definitely originally reread your request as "I'm a Huge Sex Gay."

The Cannonball Adderly which I was suggested to listen to was "Somethin' Else." This was either suggested by a book, or my friend... I forget which.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2007, 04:31:06 am »

How's about someone recommends me an album by Cannonball Adderly?  I'm a huge sax guy but I suck at knowing where to find what is good.  Also a recommendation for a starter's Phish album. 

Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else, which features Miles Davis and is reminiscent of Kind of Blue.

Phish: You don't need to buy any Phish albums.  Really.  If you need something druggy and jamming, I'd recommend Panthalassa, an album of Miles Davis' 1969-1974 material remixed and resequenced by Bill Laswell.  If that's not Caucasian enough for you, just get Live/Dead. 
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2007, 04:44:50 am »

come on people. I hate Jam bands. But Trey is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard. He is... wow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2007, 05:18:47 am »

Phish sucks, it is all about String Cheese Incident.  At least that is what my neighbor says.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2007, 08:42:07 pm »

Quote from: theinevitable
But Trey is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard.

This causes me to believe you have never heard Adrian Belew.

You should. The dude from Phish is definitely okay for a dude from a jam band but... c'mon.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2007, 08:52:40 pm »

egh. King Crimson? Maybe. But Trey is really good. he can do all kinds of flicky percussive shit, and then he does like a hard run... and then he does some more crazy funk shit... and then he is all mellow...
listen to Run like an Antelope, people. Even though it goes on way too long. The guitar playing is great.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2007, 08:56:47 pm »

Last week I got Kurt Elling's "Man In The Air" which is a real great album that anyone would like even if vocal jazz isn't your thing.

And if we're talking about guitar, no one should go through life without a copy of DiMeola's "Casino."
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2007, 09:26:34 pm »

Actually, you're not going to hear all the insane shit Belew can do from his work with Crimson. That's still pretty much Fripp's Precision Guitar Showcase.

But in his solo work, and to lesser extents in his time touring with Bowie or touring with Zappa, you really hear this mad genius pulling out every stop and inventing some stops on the fly. Playing piano with his guitar, doing crazy things with twang bars, making elephant sounds, doing things two players couldn't do.

I've been to a lot of concerts and I've listened to a lot of rock music and...

Seeing Belew solo in a little jazz club last year, there were times my mind was blown.

"How is one person making that sound?"

And my younger brother who's been playing guitar since he was ten and took six or seven years of classical training, his mind was blown nearly as often as mine was.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2007, 12:00:04 am »

Actually, you'll hear most of the insane shit Belew does if you get Discipline, and you'll hear a lot of the insane shit Robert Fripp does too.  Discipline is pretty much required listening if you enjoy the six-stringed guitar instrument, in much the same way a hot pot is required if you like...meals.

Phish sucks a very large quantity of balls.  Everything I ever read about them made me admire their approach to music, but every time I tried to actually listen to the music, I had to turn it off.  Other than the live version of "Bouncing Around the Room," I find Phish absolutely unlistenable.  Take the Grateful Dead, remove what little soulfulness and sensuality they had, and replace them with mathematical abstraction and fake whimsy, and you've got Phish. 

Buy an old Funkadelic record instead. 

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2007, 12:07:09 am »

Actually, you'll hear most of the insane shit Belew does if you get Discipline, and you'll hear a lot of the insane shit Robert Fripp does too.  Discipline is pretty much required listening if you enjoy the six-stringed guitar instrument, in much the same way a hot pot is required if you like...meals.

Seconded.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

dude, I don't care if you like phish. I rarely enjoy them. Trey is fuck*ng amazing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up