My least favorite Phish fact: they also once covered Loaded by the Velvet Underground. That is the only place one of my friends had ever heard those songs.
We tried to play Rock and Roll once, and it took us a good 10 minutes to figure out he was playing the shitty Phish version. And then he said he liked their version better (I later discovered that this, too, was a lie-- he had never heard the original.).
It could have been worse-- two members of the band had voted to cover Loveless. Which, I mean, it would have introduced the said friend to one of my favorite albums, and maybe he would have respected my taste in music a little more (since he seemed to think I only liked punk, no matter how many times I explained otherwise.) On the other hand... Phish + Album I like= No.
pre-edit: *several more paragraphs of ranting about said ex-friend, why I don't like him, what is wrong with him, things he has done to me, etc. I am trying to be better in my avoidance of personal rants. Also, rants about this guy.*
So, yeah. We saw the simul-cast of the last Phish show together. All 3 (?) days. That was the last time we really hung out and got along.
to get back on topic: what is the deal with Trout Mask Replica? I think it sounds interesting and complex and all that, obviously, and I can tell why it's so popular with some. What are your thoughts? I have only listened to the first few tracks.