Questions:
How big a memory card should I get? Is a 1 Gig sufficient?
What can I do with Wii points? Can I go online without them?
Knowledge me up, imaginary internet friends.
May as well throw in my two cents. I've actually been using the same 1 gig SD card from my digital camera, and it holds all my pictures Wii shit with plenty of room to spare. I don't imagine you'll be needing much more than a gig. SD cards are pretty cheap now anyways.
Wii points are for buying stuff from the Wii store. Classic games and whatnot. You can also buy a version of Opera (which was free when it was in beta, but now costs money) that you can use on the Wii for web-browsing. It's pretty cool if you want to watch Youtube on the TV.
As far as games you, you've already got far and away the best game available in Mario Galaxy. I'm not the Madden guy I used to be, so I can't really say much about that one. Sorry. But! There are plenty of other cool games like Wario Ware, Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario, Trauma Center, etc. There is a lot of crap on the Wii, though, so you've got to be careful not to stumble into any licensed shovelware.
And yet Wii Sports still manages to be my favorite game on the system. Go figure!