Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii  (Read 44724 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2009, 02:50:45 pm »

Wii Fit is pretty interesting.  The training stuff is fun for a few weeks, and there are a few balance games I still play regularly (ski jump, baby!).  But they get kind of old.  However, I am still using Wii Fit for weight/BMI tracking and for the balance tests.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2009, 03:09:49 pm »

i was just chipping in shots in the golf training mode on wii sports and one totally bounced in and out of the cup zomg
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »

AW--I got Gold's Gym Cardio Workout, which is basically the "rhythm boxing" from Wii Fit taken to the next level.  I think it's a better workout than anything Wii Fit has to offer (albeit still not as thorough as actually going to the gym, but better than no workout at all).
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2009, 04:19:35 pm »

I like my Wii Fit.  We got a snowboarding game recently that uses the balance board and that's pretty cool.  We go back to the Sports package all the time.  My daughter loves to play the Tennis one.  The system definitely has legs.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »

My girlfriend, who's interest in games as far as I knew pretty much began and ended with Mario 3, brought home a Wii a couple of weeks ago. Just totally out of the blue. I can say that I never would've bought one. If I was going to throw down for a new system, I'd be more inclined toward the Xbox 360. But now that it's here I have to say that it's pretty OK. They still have a lot to figure out. I think they lean a little too hard on the point-and-click features just 'cause they think they need to. And they should stop making baseball games until they get some better ideas of how to do it. However - and I'm absolutely not a golf guy - but Tiger 10 is truly amazing. They've got that down. So far I'd give the Wii an overall grade of C+, but Tiger gets a solid A.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »

the couple wii platformers i've played are pretty damned good: madworld and de blob. i have this feeling that i need to get super mario galaxy because i'd love it, but dayum i don't even have the charger station yet.

they really do get you on the accessories.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2009, 07:06:24 pm »

the couple wii platformers i've played are pretty damned good: madworld and de blob. i have this feeling that i need to get super mario galaxy because i'd love it, but dayum i don't even have the charger station yet.

FWIW, it doesn't seem like the Wiimotes go through AA's that quickly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:38 pm »

Mario Galaxy and Zelda are good.

Except now I went too long without playing Zelda, and I forget what I'm supposed to be doing right now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2009, 07:44:45 pm »

i burned through a pair of energizer lithium AAs in a couple weeks when i was playing wii sports resort table tennis for a couple hours a day

(i've toned it down lately)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2009, 07:49:27 pm »

My mom asked recently if she could borrow our Wii for a few weeks (now that we've got an xBox) because she wants to buy Wii Fit and doesn't want to invest in the whole system until she decides if she'll actually use it.

Way to go, Mom.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2009, 07:54:11 pm »

My mom asked recently if she could borrow our Wii for a few weeks (now that we've got an xBox) because she wants to buy Wii Fit and doesn't want to invest in the whole system until she decides if she'll actually use it.

Way to go, Mom.

Wii Fit is good if you use it.  It's not that the exercises are all that (although some of them are lots of fun -- ski jumping is great).  I use it almost exclusively as a tracking device lately, and it's worked well for that (almost 40 lbs lost since February).  And it's fun to play with.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2009, 08:23:32 pm »

FWIW, it doesn't seem like the Wiimotes go through AA's that quickly.
I don't know - I play the golf game for about an average of one hour per day, and my girlfriend plays even less than that and a pair of AA's has yet to last us a full week. Maybe we're just too hardcore.

Mario Galaxy and Zelda are good.
I've been meaning to buy the former. What is the Zelda game called? What are the controls like? Just wanna stay away from the point-and-click bullshit.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2009, 11:15:08 pm »

it is called Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I don't recall anything about the controls, except that there is not much pointing and clicking. Maybe you have to point and click when you use the bow?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2009, 11:46:02 pm »

Wii Fit is good if you use it.  It's not that the exercises are all that (although some of them are lots of fun -- ski jumping is great).  I use it almost exclusively as a tracking device lately, and it's worked well for that (almost 40 lbs lost since February).  And it's fun to play with.
I use it to track my weight as well, although its somewhat perverse since I'm actually looking to put on weight at the moment.  My goal is for the thing to declare me obese, which should happen at about 193lbs.  Caveat: bodyfat percentage can't be above 20% for this to be a success.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2009, 12:52:03 am »

Against my better judgement I got New Super Mario Brothers Wii today. It is so good a Mario game.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up